Porsche Macan Forum banner

Which oil leaks (if any) have you encountered on your Macan?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious how widespread oil leak issues are with our Macans. Seems odd that we are hearing leaks being reported on a number of different locations on the car as seals and gaskets don't tend to be high tech AFAIK. Is it faulty design, sloppy build quality, different materials that expand at different rates when heated, or what?

I understand that old gaskets and seals will tend to deteriorate over time especially in harsh environments, but this seems to be happening on relatively new Macans. For example, it's well known that 996 cabrio hydraulic cylinder seals leak, but that's typically after 10 years of sitting in hydraulic fluid often at elevated temperatures.

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bump.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I just dropped our '17 GTS with 17K miles on it off at Porsche of Livermore for the timing chain cover leaks. Actually will leave oil drops on the garage floor. I pulled the bottom inspection cover off 5K miles ago and photographed it and then cleaned it all up. The just 3 weeks ago, after about 1500 miles I pulled the inspection cover off and it was all wet and dripping again. Took photos and cleaned it all up and put it back together.
The service adviser at Porsche told me to expect 3-4 weeks in the shop as they only have 1 engine table and it is presently tied up. I got a new Cayenne loaner so I am fine with that. I did ask they not wash my car when it is done. I prefer to manage that myself. I hope it is done correctly and comes back running and driving the way it should with no leaks.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
Timing cover at 42,000 miles. Dealer is saying 6 hour job, just waiting on approval for warranty repair from Porsche.
If they're quoting 6 hours, don't walk. Run to another dealership. The engine MUST be dropped to do this job correctly. There are many, many, comments of owners who had a hack-job fix done only for the leak to return.

Mine happened at 30K. Spent a week in the shop. No negative after-effects. The paperwork was about four pages long with all the parts and labor spelled out. My price, under warranty, was ~$78. Do it right the first time. not the secod or third time.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
2 years ago: Replace LF inner CV boot (leak that he 1st thought was differential)
Done under warranty By Porsche.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,053 Posts
I thought it was some extra stuff the owner wanted done during the warranty repair. I would for sure.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
Why did you have to pay anything?

Under warranty.
I had them install a set of plugs while the engine was out. They installed a new belly pan since it was wet from oil seepage. Installed a new oil filter with fresh oil. I think I did pretty good.

Reactions: iconoclast

·
Registered
215 Posts
Timing chain cover. At least one of the bolts was sheared right in half. 69k miles. Was fine at 60k, or so the dealer said.
Out of warranty (time ok, but too many miles). Dealer said they'd go to bat for me. Hope so.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Add me to the timing chain cover leak list. Just over 12,000 miles. Still under warranty, thank goodness. The service manager said it will in the shop a few days.

Oh, well. At least it didn’t come as a surprise!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts