Porsche Macan Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm just scheduling my 10k service for my 2017 S and I'm not giving it a second thought. Sticking to the schedule and the auto-nag.

·
Registered
24 Posts
That's what the manual seems to indicate and at 5.9k miles, my 2018 is not suggesting that I call the dealer for a fluid swap.

What do you all do? Follow the manual advice, or go more often?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yes I understand the annual, I'm on the other end. Just wondering if more frequent oil changes are done.
For my Ford truck I do them every 3K. For no particular reason, but then again, I have 95K miles and nary a problem whatsoever.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Yes I understand the annual, I'm on the other end. Just wondering if more frequent oil changes are done.
For my Ford truck I do them every 3K. For no particular reason, but then again, I have 95K miles and nary a problem whatsoever.
If you changed it every 500 miles you would still have nary a problem whatsoever. Change your plugs every 10,000 miles and you’ll never have any problems either. Having no problems with shorter intervals than recommended does not demonstrate any benefit.

Your reasoning implies problems are occurring with the manufacturer’s intervals. Theres nothing to suggest this except experience from 50 years ago. Younger owners than most of us would blissfully follow the Porsche recommendations.

·
Super Moderator
7,192 Posts
And interestingly enough, Ford doesn't make Porsches. Imagine that. Although they did try to buy Ferrari and failed at that.

I'm not trying to be flippant here. In 2006/2007 the Porsche recommended oil change interval was 20000 miles/2 years whatever came first. They changed it BACK to 10,000 miles/one year. Do you know why? Its not because 20,000 miles was too long. AFAIK it was because some people figured if they could go 20K miles, why not 30k? So they never changed the oil.

Its not 1965. There is no break in oil. Porsche is usually very conservative. If they think 10K is fine, and used to think 20K is fine, think about this scenario. Suppose you followed their recommendations in 2006. You now have 100 - 150K on the clock. And then there are many engine failures. Do you think that this news would not be all over the pcar forums? Their reputation would be on the line. Everyone would know about it. And yet, AFAIK, do you see any hint of this? Why not?

However, anyone is free to hit up Jiffy Lube every 3,000 miles or DIY and change their oil every week if it makes themselves feel better. Your money. Do with it as you will. :)

·
Super Moderator
7,192 Posts
Your not the first to ask this question. You won't be the last. You can only go by past experience and if you don't have any, then you can't understand. We all start somewhere. :)

·
Registered
806 Posts
Like gasoline... a lot has changed in the oil world

My annual miles are low... I change once a year, regardless.

Reading here, I will investigate a longer period

Grim
Ferrari/Ford... I expect you're waiting for the movie

Remember , Shelby went to Ford AFTER Chevrolet to build a car to beat Ferrari... and he did just that !!

One of HFII 's better decisions........The Deuce
I used to see him at The Bronze Door in Grosse Pointe--
He tried to pick up my mother at the bar !!

hahaha
While my father was down the roadthe selling Ford his die castings

·
Registered
466 Posts
My wife's 328xi 3.0L has a 15k mile routine and I cut that in half, to 7500 miles using Mobil One. It's 7 years old and runs like new.

My last car was a '12 Jeep with a Pentastar 3.6L DOHC V6 and that had a routine at 7500 miles with regular oil. I used Mobile One instead, drove that 175,000 miles and now a good friend has it; runs like new.

My '18 Macan 2.0L has a 10k routine, Mobile One, and I cut that in half to 5000 miles. I drive 30,000 miles per year so that is 6 changes per year. Filters are $8 and the oil costs me about $25, and I do it in my garage in about 20 minutes using the vacuum extractor method. I plan on keeping this car a long time; maybe some day I will have the highest mileage Macan. If that costs me another $100/ year I have no problem with that.

Don't give me that "wasting resources" routine. Save that for the guys running huge SUVs and pickups and rarely carrying anything other than golf clubs and groceries.

·
Premium Member
5,573 Posts
Still, changing synthetic oil at 5000 miles every 2 months is a waste.

Perfectly fine to do the oil change every 10k miles/4 months.

·
Premium Member
5,573 Posts
Oh, my bad! It should be 10k miles/4 months.

Edited/corrected my earlier post.

·
Registered
24 Posts
so you are saying that if one drives less than 10k miles a year, for example, they should change oil, every 4 months, for example.
Just trying to understand the intent.

·
Premium Member
5,573 Posts
My post was in response to @Yadkin post about changing oil every 5000 miles/2 months.

The point is to stick with what Porsche recommends.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I’m going to throw my hat in the ring on an oil thread because I’m bored. So I’m closing in on 50. Have been buying new cars for 25 years. I can’t say I’ve ever see. The recommendation to change out break in oil on any car I have ever purchased. I’ve bought GM, Ford, dodge, BMW, Audi, Porsche, and Subaru. They all have had different oil change recommendations. Up to 15K in the BMW which I followed. And the car is still running. As low as 5k in the Ford. I followed all the break in recommendations which wee keep below X rpms for a while and don’t drive at a constant speed for a long period. But never change oil after 1000 miles.

Did manufactures used to put in break in oil and have an early oil change? Was this in the 60’s and 70’s? I swear I’ve never seen it.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Some here comment that the oil extraction method, which I now prefer to use, leaves oil in the crankcase/ metal deposits are left at the bottom of the pan.

Regards to oil left in the pan, my first time doing it I got less than 4 1/2 quarts, but, being the first oil change at 5000 miles I figured the new engine had used some. The last time I did it I got more that 4 3/4 quarts out, and if you add in what's left in the filter cartridge that's better than I used to do by the drain plug method on my other cars. There is a technique to develop.

Regarding metal particles, on my Jeep I had a magnetic plug and never found anything on it that would't pass through an oil pump. From there anything in the 10 micron size or larger would get captured in the filter. So I don't see what the big deal is.

Still though, there is some validity in these two points, and doubling up on the oil change helps to address them.

Wasteful? Lots of things are wasteful. Going out to dinner rather that making a sandwich at home is wasteful, but who wants to live like that? Six changes vs. three costs me an extra $100 per year. I'm not sweating that for the piece of mind it gives me.

What is really wasteful is driving my car 45 minutes to the dealer, paying him $400 for an oil change, waiting there for two hours, then driving back. Waste of time, waste of money, waste of gas.

·
Super Moderator
7,192 Posts
I’m going to throw my hat in the ring on an oil thread because I’m bored. So I’m closing in on 50. Have been buying new cars for 25 years. I can’t say I’ve ever see.
25 years? 😂 Thatsafter the Gulf War and just before 9/11. Thats yesterday.

Play https://www.carstuffshow.com/podcasts/breaking-in-engines.htm. Pay no attention to their advice on breakin. Read https://www.macanforum.com/threads/how-will-you-break-in-your-macan.11745/#post-166129. No Porsche other than samples and the 918, are broken in at the factory

Read http://yel.pca.org/porsche-engine-break-in/

·
Super Moderator
7,192 Posts
Some here comment that the oil extraction method, which I now prefer to use, leaves oil in the crankcase/ metal deposits are left at the bottom of the pan.
Hows that work with Porsche integrated dry sumps?

Looks like upper and lower sumps. Not a true dry sump hence integrated. I dont know, 95810360300 and 95810360000

21 - 40 of 41 Posts