Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Macan is the first owner's manual I've ever read that didn't include "Capacities & Specifications" chart. Usually you can look near the back of your owners manual and see all the fluid types and fluid capacities used in that vehicle. How many quarts does the 3.0L engine use for a 2019 or 2020 Macan S? I saw that the 2.0L uses 5q per this thread. I did confirm (page 88 Owners Manual) the engine uses 0W20, so that's easy enough to find Mobil 1. But no-where does it say how much. Has anyone here changed oil on a 2019 or 2020? How many quarts?

·
Registered
11 Posts
The Macan is the first owner's manual I've ever read that didn't include "Capacities & Specifications" chart. Usually you can look near the back of your owners manual and see all the fluid types and fluid capacities used in that vehicle. How many quarts does the 3.0L engine use for a 2019 or 2020 Macan S? I saw that the 2.0L uses 5q per this thread. I did confirm (page 88 Owners Manual) the engine uses 0W20, so that's easy enough to find Mobil 1. But no-where does it say how much. Has anyone here changed oil on a 2019 or 2020? How many quarts?
I was flabbergasted too

never saw that in an owners manual no specs

yet manual says if low on coolant or oil stop and add some.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And no dipstick doesn't help

A dealer knows...........

DYI, Try measuring what comes out
Measuring it out from my oil drain container would be terribly imprecise and inaccurate. When you're changing your oil after 7k miles, your car has certainly used some and you'll be adding more than you're taking out, often by up to a quart.

A dealer knows, but I'm not a dealer... Hasn't anyone with a Macan S ever changed their own oil? This should be a really simple thing. I'm still absolutely shocked that this critical basic information is missing from the owners manual. Also, I'll eventually need to find the coolant system capacity, but no rush on that one. :)

·
Registered
994 Posts
My last change (an Indy)....
they did the work....and complained about the inaccuracy of the measuring

Later in the day, I got the warning -- safe to drive but add oil

1/2 a quart later - I'm still going.....

I hope you get your answer.......frustrating

·
Registered
994 Posts
I forgot to say---

We had 2 'S's done at the same time - side by side - my daughter too

Hers went perfectly... mine needed a smidge more....later in the day - as mentioned above
2 different mechanics

·
Registered
388 Posts
FWIW, maybe the initial underfills are to avoid overfills if total drainage not occurring for whatever reason.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
8.45 Quarts (8 liters) of Mobile 1 - 0W-40
BREAKING NEWS! Both my '15 S and my '17 GTS owner's manuals show oil capacity at 8.45 qts.
Thanks to you both! That's a lot for a V6. Must have a dry sump. Thanks!

Now just to see if anyone with a 2019 or 2020 can chime in, to confirm it didn't change when they moved from the Porsche-source twin-turbo 3.0l V6 to the Audi-sourced single turbo 3.0l V6 in 2019

·
Super Moderator
1,873 Posts
OP: I believe it is a given that the Macan engines use a dry sump system. Where have you been?

Forum: The OP is asking for capacity for a 2019 or 2020 3.0L Macan S engine. So far people have been posting
their results for other years. I believe the 3.0L engine for the years noted differs from the prior Macan
3.0L engines.

OP: While it may be imprecise to measure the drained oil, it will give you a place to start. It doesn't matter
whether any oil consumption has occurred. Pour fresh oil in the same amount in, take a reading, then
add, keeping track of how much you're adding each time - followed by a reading, til the oil level reaches the full mark.

OR

Simply call your Porsche dealer!!! <- What could be simpler?

:unsure:

·
Registered
1 Posts
The application finder on the Amsoil website (amsoil.com) shows the following for a 2019 Macan with the 3.0L turbo engine:

Viscosities: All TEMPS....0W-40
Above -13 F .5W-40, 5W-50 Capacities: With filter 6.6 quarts After refill check oil level.
Torques: Oil Drain Plug...22 ft/lbs

This is what it shows for the 2017 Macan 3.0:

Above -13 F .5W-40, 5W-50
Capacities: With filter 8.5 quarts After refill check oil level.
Torques: Oil Drain Plug...21 ft/lbs Replace drain plug seal.

The oil spec for 2020 must have changed too, because Amsoil doesn't even list any of their engine oils as recommended for this application.

The Disclaimer at the bottom the page says "Specifications contained on this website are based on manufacturers' information..."

Hope this helps. I was surprised to see the reduction in capacity for the '19 model. Mine's a '17, so I can't comment on that. If it were me, to be safe and not risk overfilling the sump, I'd contact the dealer or Porsche USA.

Dave

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OP: I believe it is a given that the Macan engines use a dry sump system. Where have you been?

Simply call your Porsche dealer!!! <- What could be simpler?

:unsure:
1. Yes, I know. I was just trying to make a funny comment, how much more oil dry sump systems use.
2. I can't imagine they'd tell me, as it would be in their best interest to refuse. I'm asking so I can change my own oil instead of paying their crazy prices to do it. :) Lubrk8r mentioned 6.6Q on the Amsoil website, so hopefully someone can chime in and confirm this number based on their own experience. Pretty much every piece of data is on the internet somewhere; just have to find it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yes, after further review I think you are reading it correctly. I read it as the 5W-50 was recommended for the Macan S as it was directly across on the chart. Duh, your explanation makes so much more sense. Thanks for responding.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi, Canadian owner here.
Just changed the oil in 2020 Macan S.
The oil used was Mobil 1 EXP x2 0W20. Not sure of the exact amount but I got charged for 8 liters (8.453 quarts).
Should have asked about the exact amount but 8L seems to be right.

·
Super Moderator
1,873 Posts
Lubrk8r posted:

The application finder on the Amsoil website (amsoil.com) shows the following for a 2019 Macan with the 3.0L turbo engine:

Above -13 F .5W-40, 5W-50 Capacities: With filter 6.6 quarts After refill check oil level.
Torques: Oil Drain Plug...22 ft/lbs

Can ANYONE confirm the 6.6 quarts figure?

PLEASE - NO MORE POSTS about your 2016, 2017 and 2018 models.

The opening post asked SPECIFICALLY for the oil capacity for the 2019 or 2020 3.0L engines.

PLEASE DO NOT REPLY UNLESS YOU HAVE INFORMATION SPECIFIC TO THE NOTED ENGINES!

Thank you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
So sorry. Was only trying to help you. I know I have a 2018 S but I did find the oil capacity in the manual in the technical data section. It shows all the filling quantities. It was not listed in the index under oil. Hmmm....sorry to see they no longer have this in the newer manuals.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Lubrk8r posted:

Can ANYONE confirm the 6.6 quarts figure?

PLEASE - NO MORE POSTS about your 2016, 2017 and 2018 models.

The opening post asked SPECIFICALLY for the oil capacity for the 2019 or 2020 2.9L engines.

PLEASE DO NOT REPLY UNLESS YOU HAVE INFORMATION SPECIFIC TO THE NOTED ENGINES!

Thank you.
You meant 3.0L engines

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi, Canadian owner here.
Just changed the oil in 2020 Macan S.
The oil used was Mobil 1 EXP x2 0W20. Not sure of the exact amount but I got charged for 8 liters (8.453 quarts).
Should have asked about the exact amount but 8L seems to be right.
Sorry. I made a mistake in the oil name.
Mobil 1 ESP x2 0W20.
Here is the link to this oil.

Apparently it is very new. I was told by the dealer that even they cannot get it in bulk. The dealership is getting it in 1L bottles in retail packaging.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have an official update! I still didn't believe the Porsche service department would tell me. But I called my salesman, since I had picked up the car only a few months ago. He was able to get the official answer.

For the 2019 / 2020 Macan S (3.0L engine), it is 7.5 Liters. (aka 7.93 quarts). So I can change the oil, fill it with 8 quarts and be good. :)

I think it is strange that they show both a min and max. But IMO, filling to the "max" is the right option.
IMG_4275.JPG

1 - 20 of 24 Posts