Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Macan base
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Unfortunately the Macan came dead last with a DNF. Any ideas on what might've happened?

·
Registered
132 Posts
I noticed two things right away. The tread pattern on the tires used on the Macan are less effective in the mud versus the tires used on each of the other contestants.

Wonder why they chose a Q5 with AS but a Macan without AS. Also suspect the Macan did not have PTV.

I wonder how the other crossover that’s substantially tilted toward sporty driving, the Alfa Romeo Stelvio, would have compared in this test.

All that being said, how many owners use their crossovers in conditions like this? The Macan simply does not have the suspension articulation for this type of use. A more meaningful test for the vast majority of us would be trying to climb a steep paved or gravel hill covered by 2 feet of unplowed snow.

·
Registered
2019 Macan Base, Premium Plus, 19" Turbo wheels
326 Posts
They were driving as though they were trying to get stuck.

I have a fair amount of 4x4 off road experience and if I wanted to go up that hill, I wouldn't have driven like they are driving in that video. The undersides of the cars would have taken a beating in my approach, though.

I don't care that the Macan didn't make the hill. You would have to be stupid or desperate to drive any of these cars in such conditions.

I am interested to see how my Macan goes in the snow when I get a chance. But other than being able to commute in slippery conditions, I did not buy my Macan for its off road capabilities.

I drove in heavy rain the other day and I scrolled to the torque split screen on my driving display. I watched the torque split move around with mild curiosity. I motored right along with hardly a care in the world while other drivers slowed down to a pace like they were afraid the were going to slip off the edge of the world and into the abyss. o_O

I think it had more to do with driving ability than the car, but the Macan is plenty confident in wet conditions.

When I see the way other people drive, I have trouble imagining they can even tie their shoes or keep from drooling on themselves. :oops: Never mind that a great deal of the cars on the road around here are 20, 30, 40 years old, held together by bailing wire, with bent frames and axels, crab walking down the road. I appreciate the lengths they go to for transportation to be able to work, but at some point...I feel like I am in a third world country. And this is in and around the nation's capitol. <rant off?/>

·
Registered
2021 Macan Turbo
30 Posts
They were driving as though they were trying to get stuck.

I have a fair amount of 4x4 off road experience and if I wanted to go up that hill, I wouldn't have driven like they are driving in that video. The undersides of the cars would have taken a beating in my approach, though.

I don't care that the Macan didn't make the hill. You would have to be stupid or desperate to drive any of these cars in such conditions.

I am interested to see how my Macan goes in the snow when I get a chance. But other than being able to commute in slippery conditions, I did not buy my Macan for its off road capabilities.

I drove in heavy rain the other day and I scrolled to the torque split screen on my driving display. I watched the torque split move around with mild curiosity. I motored right along with hardly a care in the world while other drivers slowed down to a pace like they were afraid the were going to slip off the edge of the world and into the abyss. o_O

I think it had more to do with driving ability than the car, but the Macan is plenty confident in wet conditions.

When I see the way other people drive, I have trouble imagining they can even tie their shoes or keep from drooling on themselves. :oops: Never mind that a great deal of the cars on the road around here are 20, 30, 40 years old, held together by bailing wire, with bent frames and axels, crab walking down the road. I appreciate the lengths they go to for transportation to be able to work, but at some point...I feel like I am in a third world country. And this is in and around the nation's capitol. <rant off?/>
I'm in DC myself, and I often wonder how many of these drivers even make it to adulthood, their synapses fire so **** slow. What bothers me is the number of people who buy 80k plus cars and can't make a right turn while stopping. They should just get a Corrola and use the rest of that money for treatments to get their brains firing on all cylinders...

·
Registered
2019 Macan Base, Premium Plus, 19" Turbo wheels
326 Posts
I'm in DC myself, and I often wonder how many of these drivers even make it to adulthood, their synapses fire so **** slow. What bothers me is the number of people who buy 80k plus cars and can't make a right turn while stopping. They should just get a Corrola and use the rest of that money for treatments to get their brains firing on all cylinders...

:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2018 GTS
227 Posts
I was quite pleased with how mine handled in the snow I found the off road mode did a great job in the snow it even handled all of the engine breaking I would normally perform manually in less equipped cars in the past.

·
Registered
191 Posts
The gents from The Grand Tour did a shoot out which included the Macan and one of their dumber "tests" was to act like 12 year olds in a rodeo arena. The Macan went into limp mode after being thrashed around some barrels at full throttle. Not entirely surprising that a car with traction control would get super confused by being treated that way. Hey at least it did well at getting sideways with a boat trailer at speeds sure to cause an accident.

The Macan has pretty good ground clearance, the entry/exit angles are pretty good (certainly better than a Subaru), and it can put power to all four wheels. As such it is pretty capable, but not amazing. I'm not afraid of getting it muddy but I don't drive it in water and I go out of my way to keep the underside off of obstructions. The hill descent feature is pretty **** impressive.

I've pulled a trailer across mountain passes where chains were required. Even with just Pirelli Scorpion A/S tires it did great.

The 955 Cayenne was actually an outstanding off road vehicle (go look at some old videos). Apparently not enough people took them up on the capability so the off road chops have been de-emphasized.

·
Registered
2018 Macan GTS
63 Posts

Unfortunately the Macan came dead last with a DNF. Any ideas on what might've happened?
The tires used are not all equal and the ones on the Macan are probably the worst for that scenario. Appropriate tires are a game changer in any conditions.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Off road mode? Never used it, even in winter.
I didn't buy a hill climber. I bought the coolest SUV on the market that does the 1/4 in 13.1 seconds.

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
This is a good channel. No, the fix isn’t in. It compares many, many SUVs, all on the same course off road, first in normal street mode, then in off road. I realize 99 percent of Macan owners will never do this, but it would be nice if it could.
What do you think?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Interesting video - from first-hand experience I have felt more confident in deep snow conditions in my BMW X3 (2010) than my Audi SQ5 (2014), both on winter tires.

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
In the early 2000s, to my recollection, the 330xi was introduced. Didn’t Google it. Going by memory. I bought one. I believe to this day, at least 30 cars/SUVS/Trucks later, it was the best handling vehicle I’ve ever driven in snow.

I can clearly recall turning off on a side road on the way home, a serpentine uphill, and it navigated it as if it was on tracks. With AS tires.

The fact BMW cheaped out that one model year, 2004 comes to mind, and left out the seat adjustment that raised the front of the seat, completely ruined the car for me and I gave it to my son in college and bought my first and only VW, the then brand new Touareg.

But back OT, any owner of a Macan should be disappointed in that poor showing.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I've had SUVs since 1990 and never intentionally taken one off road. It's purpose for me is to haul me, the brood, and my gear, through snow and mountain roads. As I've gotten older my collection of gear grew then diminished, my kids started out small, grew then left, and my quest for quite road manners and luxury steadily increased. As this decision matrix evolved I changed my vehicle to suit.

As of today my 2018 Macan is the perfect vehicle for me and that is not likely to change in the foreseeable future. Last fall I obtained a set of dedicated winter wheels and tires to make those four months that much more enjoyable.

·
Banned
431 Posts
Meh, does it have air suspension and PTV+? I'm guessing no. Also, myself and most owners didn't buy the Macan for its offroad performance...lets repeat that test on the track.

·
Registered
21 GTS, Carrara White, GTS Interior Package, SC, PTV
102 Posts
I think it’s okay to admit disappointment once in a while...

·
Registered
223 Posts
The big surprise for me was the excellent BMW performance and the relatively poor Rover performance. FWIW the Macan was on what looked like summer tires. Also the later cars seemed to have more difficulty than the earlier cars - wetter course and more gouging of the course. Do I wish this particular a can had done better in this particular video? Yes - but you can’t get much more unscientific and, as SomeGuy noted, get them on a track or even a twisty undulating country road. Thanks for sharing!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts