Porsche Macan Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
I was relieved to see Michelins on my S. Flash forward three and a half years and 30k miles.The 19's Michelin Latitudes have decent tread left and are still quiet.
Nothing but Michelins on all of the Family cars.

·
Registered
607 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,862 Posts
So far I have been using N spec tires on my Macan and have had no complaints.

The car came with Hankook summer tires as stock and they were shot after 13k miles. I changed to Michelin N spec summer tires (~25% more expensive). They are still good after 17k miles and they ride better too.

If you buy/drive a Porsche, don’t try to save a few bucks on tires. Ironically, tires are the most important performance and safety item on a car.

·
Registered
184 Posts
So far I have been using N spec tires on my Macan and have had no complaints.

The car came with Hankook summer tires as stock and they were shot after 13k miles. I changed to Michelin N spec summer tires (~25% more expensive). They are still good after 17k miles and they ride better too.

If you buy/drive a Porsche, don’t try to save a few bucks on tires. Ironically, tires are the most important performance and safety item on a car.
Agreed. However I think an argument can be made for quality non N-spec tires. I think most who decide on using non N-spec tires are not looking at the very cheapest tire they can find but rather if there are alternatives. I vaguely remember seeing a post about a 911 owner that using non N-spec Michelin tires for track use that they absolutely trusted (sorry, forgot specifics).

One thing I'm wondering is if the N-spec is continually updated? So, when some members first got their Macans in 2014/15, tires W,X,Y,Z were N-spec. I believe some of those manufacturers have come out with updates or even newer technology since then. Would these possible come out as N-spec at some point
(ie, N-1)? Or do next generations of N-spec only come out at the next generation of Porsche models?

·
Premium Member
6,862 Posts
I think N spec is continuously updated when new tires/technology come out.

There are N0, N1, N2, etc. at the same time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
That's precisely what the service manager said.
My Pirellis started making noise and when I took them in, they showed me rubber flaking off of one of the front tires. Its like the outside layer was starting to degrade and fall off. It made a humming sound at speed that sounded like a bad wheel bearing. The tires are original and I have 49K miles on them. Will be going with Michelin next

·
Super Moderator
3,102 Posts
My Pirellis started making noise and when I took them in, they showed me rubber flaking off of one of the front tires. Its like the outside layer was starting to degrade and fall off. It made a humming sound at speed that sounded like a bad wheel bearing. The tires are original and I have 49K miles on them. Will be going with Michelin next

49K miles on a set of tires? You must have been driving on grass the entire time!!!

:oops:

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
To everyone: when did you get your last alignment? If you never had, what makes you believe it’s in alignment?

After blowing through a new set of Conti Sport 6’s on my new (back then) Macan, I found it was WAY out from the factory.

Just suggesting...

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
The proof

Attachments

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
To everyone: when did you get your last alignment? If you never had, what makes you believe it’s in alignment?

After blowing through a new set of Conti Sport 6’s on my new (back then) Macan, I found it was WAY out from the factory.

Just suggesting...
I check tread depth at 4 spots across the tires 1x/Q.
I watch for signs of uneven wear & misalignment.

I had to have alignment done Sept. 2020, due to driving over a fallen tree during rain & windstorm.
Per my Porsche SA, the rears were out of alignment but not the fronts. Cost $465 & have to involve camera. This time was due to collision & running over tree & insurance paid but, if I had just wanted a 4 W alignment, would still cost the $465!

See my post #14 here:

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
The proof
Am I missing something in your PDF Alignment spec sheet?
Seems as if the b4 & current are ~ = so you did NOT really need an alignment.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was not offroading or driving on gravel or any other surface other than fairly new pavement. The other 3 tires are not as worn or flaking.. its some kind of defect on this tire where pieces are flaking off. at 39K miles I took the car to Porsche for service and am following their maintenance schedule to the letter.. its not alignment or some other issue with set up. It's an old tire that went bad differently than the other 3 on the same car.

·
Super Moderator
3,102 Posts
Those outer blocks look to be really worn down as compared to the circumferential groove just inside of them.

Does the alignment check out?

...lots of high speed cornering? ...with understeer? The Macan is a heavy beast and can be made to plow into corners,
though wear like this usually results from track day "abuse"...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Those outer blocks look to be really worn down as compared to the circumferential groove just inside of them.

Does the alignment check out?

...lots of high speed cornering? ...with understeer? The Macan is a heavy beast and can be made to plow into corners,
though wear like this usually results from track day "abuse"...
The alignment was checked 2 months ago at the dealership and it is and was good. No actual track but I do have a couple of roundabouts in my neighborhood and I sometimes enjoy them a bit. This is why I own a Macan S :)
This one tire is definitely wearing faster and flaking rubber and the other 3 are fine.. but al 4 have 50K miles so I guess the noise, odd wearing, and flaking is reasonable since many only get 25-30K out of their Pirellis. Time for a new set either way.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts