Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Macan S came with Pirellis, but I understand some come with Michelins as OEM. Which Michelin tire?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The local service manager said he preferred the Michelins to the Pirellis. I'm wondering if that is also the consensus here?

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Read reviews on Tire Rack for both tires & any other Porsche approved tires the fit your car.
Look @ warranty, tread life, noise, handling, etc.
See what it would cost you @ today's prices for you top 2-3 choices.

Then you will know exactly which tires you want when it is time for new tires.

Don't let the tire shop or Porsche, decide for you.

Reactions: Shark

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Read reviews on Tire Rack for both tires & any other Porsche approved tires the fit your car.

Wow. I used Tire Rack for the first time and it recommended a tire (with great reviews) I'm not familiar with - the Vredestein Quadtrac 5. Is anyone on here running their Macan with this tire?

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Wow. I used Tire Rack for the first time and it recommended a tire (with great reviews) I'm not familiar with - the Vredestein Quadtrac 5. Is anyone on here running their Macan with this tire?
I did not mean to imply that a tire shop or Porsche will give you bad advice. Just that their interests/priorities & yours may not be the same. Always better to have knowledge. Know which tires are "N0" & fit your car & the cost & reviews, not only from tire rack.com but from other independent reviewers.

I assume that Porsche drivers are more interested in performance than cost as the top priority. Nissan Sentra drivers...maybe cost & tread life is #1.

I never heard of Vredestein Quadtrac 5 tires. They may be great. Are they "N0" designated?

Reactions: Shark

·
Registered
68 Posts
Have a base Macan with 19" Pirellis. 25000 miles and needed to be replaced. Looked at reviews on Tire Rack and got recommendation from local Indy shop that does all my work. All for Porsche dealer employees. He recommended new model Continental . Cant remember model name but look it up on Tire Rack. They are they are perfect. Much improved , but that's always the case with new rubber replacing old worn out.

Test will be in 5000 miles

·
Registered
184 Posts
Looked into this tire as well. FWIW, the TireRack sales guy compared it to OEM Michelin Latitudes, but with maybe better winter traction (though NOT a dedicated winter tire despite the 3MP rating). If you're looking for a sportier drive, may be better choices, even in all season. No, they are not N-spec.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Tyre dealers have little if any real understanding of tyre performance - to do so requires considerable cost, time and knowledge way beyond the resource levels of most dealers. Ditto with most independent reviewers. The opinions of both generally have no more validity than the bloke next door and are usually aligned to their best commercial interests in my experience.

Can't comment on Tire Rack testing as it has been quite a few years years since I had reviewed their test procedures, but if the testing is scientific, accurate, independent (of their commercial interests) and repeatable then worth considering.
Porsche engineers go to considerable lengths to choose tyres that work best in achieving what they want from their vehicles. Commercial considerations of course will be part of their homologation considerations, but tyre manufacturers are keen to have Porsche homologation for its brand association benefits so the commercial aspects play a much smaller part in Porsche's determinations as the tyre companies will come to the party.
However, not all tyre manufacturers provide tyres and engage with Porsche, so not all tyres are tested - so there may well be tyres that are even better suited to the vehicles than those that Porsche homologate.....but how do you sort that out? If you get it wrong you could end up with unintended consequences, because the outcomes of tyre choice are a tyre/vehicle interactive effect. A tyre that works well on one vehicle can be quite unsuitable on another.

Porsche's interests are definitely aligned to producing the best product for their target markets and IMO will provide the most reliable guidance.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I think getting OEM/N-spec everything is great, and I certainly believe not all tires are created equal, but there's a certain point after reading about all the COBB, AWE exhaust, special intake filters, etc etc etc that people have modded on their cars that it would be within reason that someone could pick a non N-spec tire and still walk away from their car alive. ;)

·
Registered
220 Posts

I have the OEM Pirelli tires on my S. If I plan to take it to the track for a day or two (DE), should I put street/track tires on for the event? Or just use the OEM?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
can we get a conversation about what the point of N0 is other than Porsche approved it? I've noticed that there can be identical models of tires; one is cheaper and "regular" and another is about $20-$40 more per tire and it is N0. any real world difference? Id say in a blind test, driving your Macan at its limits or with spirited driving, I'm sure 95% of us couldn't tell a difference in different tire models...

Aren't there also other tires out there that have much better reviews from tire rack / other tire reviews and aren't OEM or N0 rated...

My car came with unpopular Goodyear Eagle LS2 tires. Not sure why I got these, but my hunch is that Porsche in Leipzig messed up because my car arrived at the dealership with the company's wheels + the company's winter tires that they provide to me to use for my European Delivery, but was supposed to be swapped over to my new 19" wheels + new tires when picking up my car back in NY. The dealership probably just ordered the cheapest OEM tires they can...

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
I have the OEM Pirelli tires on my S. If I plan to take it to the track for a day or two (DE), should I put street/track tires on for the event? Or just use the OEM?
I think you can track the car as long as you have property inflated, Summer, performance tires.

I have not tracked any car...yet. Others on this forum track cars & probably know. Your Porsche SA probably knows.
I'm fairly certain that you wear out tires much faster the more you track, brakes as well.

Others will know more.

·
Registered
7 Posts
tires

My 2017 Macan came with Michelin Latitude Tour HP tires. I installed a different set of wheels with Pirelli tires so I have experience with both. The Pirelli tires get noisy after about 15,000 miles even though they still have 8/32" + tread left. The Michelins run smoother and more quiet.

·
Registered
24 Posts
can we get a conversation about what the point of N0 is other than Porsche approved it? I've noticed that there can be identical models of tires; one is cheaper and "regular" and another is about $20-$40 more per tire and it is N0. any real world difference? Id say in a blind test, driving your Macan at its limits or with spirited driving, I'm sure 95% of us couldn't tell a difference in different tire models...

Aren't there also other tires out there that have much better reviews from tire rack / other tire reviews and aren't OEM or N0 rated...

My car came with unpopular Goodyear Eagle LS2 tires. Not sure why I got these, but my hunch is that Porsche in Leipzig messed up because my car arrived at the dealership with the company's wheels + the company's winter tires that they provide to me to use for my European Delivery, but was supposed to be swapped over to my new 19" wheels + new tires when picking up my car back in NY. The dealership probably just ordered the cheapest OEM tires they can...
I’ve been driving Porsche’s for 40 years and have a lot of experience with N spec and none N spec tires on multiple vehicles. The N spec tires are different with virtually every tire manufacturer, especially when they now make the same model in the same size for multiple manufacturers. Are they better, that’s really subjective but I have experienced 2 situations where I was looking to save a few bucks and opted for the non spec version and both times I noticed a measurable change in performance. In one case the high speed stability suffered, in the other it was ride quality. In both cases I replaced them with the N spec version and the problems went away. In the high speed stability case when both tires were off the rim and placed side by side (Michelin Pilot Sports circa 2005) the non spec tire had a significantly weaker sidewall.

However, when choosing my track or autocross tires I have always been able to pick a tire that out performs the N spec except when Pilot Sport Cups were the stock tire. In that case there was virtually no difference but they are essentially DOT spec track tires anyway. Of course the track tires usually always reduce the ride quality, wet performance and in some cases when the tire is very heat sensitive, reduce dry grip.

What I’ve learned after 40 years and hundreds of sets of tires, always choose the N spec as the primary street tire and always select a track oriented tire when the car will see track time. If the vehicle will see the track I usually have a 2nd set of wheels and tires and swap when tracking.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
My 2017 Macan came with Michelin Latitude Tour HP tires. I installed a different set of wheels with Pirelli tires so I have experience with both. The Pirelli tires get noisy after about 15,000 miles even though they still have 8/32" + tread left. The Michelins run smoother and more quiet.
So increasing tire whine isn’t my imagination? It’s not grooved pavement either. I hear it even on new asphalt. My OEM Pirelli’s weren’t noisy initially but have 16,000 miles now.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts