Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found two 2018 GTS's that are very very close to my ideal spec. In the world of Porsche optioning, I realize that it is virtually impossible to find the exact combination of options that you are looking for (from a statistical perspective the odds are close to 0 of any 2 Macan's being built exactly the same way, unless you are talking about low optioned cars).

1. 18 way seats but no SC
2. 8 way seats but SC

Both have sim mileage, sim MSRPs, equally desirable colors (one Carrara, on Agate, both with Black/Garnet)

FWIW- I like the 18 ways MOSTLY because you don't lose the power steering column adjustments and I like the SC because of Sport+ (as I know I'll never use LC).

·
Registered
427 Posts
I have found two 2018 GTS's that are very very close to my ideal spec. In the world of Porsche optioning, I realize that it is virtually impossible to find the exact combination of options that you are looking for (from a statistical perspective the odds are close to 0 of any 2 Macan's being built exactly the same way, unless you are talking about low optioned cars).

1. 18 way seats but no SC
2. 8 way seats but SC

Both have sim mileage, sim MSRPs, equally desirable colors (one Carrara, on Agate, both with Black/Garnet)

FWIW- I like the 18 ways MOSTLY because you don't lose the power steering column adjustments and I like the SC because of Sport+ (as I know I'll never use LC).
Personally I would go with the 18 way seats because you will use and appreciate them every time you get in the car and drive.

·
Registered
365 Posts
We own a GTS with the standard 8 ways as well as a Turbo with the 18 ways.

The 18 ways have it all over the 8 ways. While the 8 ways are comfortable enough for the first 30 to 45 minutes of driving, as many other forum members and professional reviewers have mentioned after an hour or so they tend to get uncomfortable. Not so with the 18 way seats at all.

Are you aware SC can be installed by a dealer after the fact? Suncoast sells the kit for $765, and then you need to pay your dealer to install it. You will find at least one thread discussing this in detail.

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
I would take @Chris in Philly suggestion and go with the 18’s and have the dealer add sport Chrono. I had 18 in mine and love them and will be ordering the 18s again for the new one.

With the one with the 18’s you will be able to have the best of both cars. The question is do you like the color combinations and the other options.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is how I am inclined to go with it. Each of them have my 'must haves' (ACC, Garnet interior, roof rails, PP+, Connect, etc.

White one has Alcantara steering wheel (OK but not my first choice) and few other fun things (Surround View, Alcantara headliner, white gauges, etc.)

Agate one doesn't have SC but has 18 ways....and agree that if I want the SC later I can have it added for around $1000.

The white white MSRP is around 87K, the Agate one around $84K. Agate has 1 more year of warranty.

Trying to get each of them around $55K but I may not be able to get either one down to that point...may be more realistic to get them for $58K though.

·
Premium Member
1,292 Posts
I'd pick 18 way seats over SC all day. They're that good.

Reactions: MAPC

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That’s where I’m leaning. I have 14 ways now and am concerned that I’ll miss the power steering column adjustments and the seat angle adjustments.

I may end up continuing my search on the hopes that a ‘more perfect’ one comes off of lease. Should be the right time for several to come off 3 year lease.

....they seem to sell very quickly though.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
As I have spent the better part of the last 3 weeks searching (read: obsessing) for a 2017/2018 GTS (will consider Turbo) that meets my specs, I have come to the conclusion that it is highly likely that other than for minimally optioned Macan's, there may actually be no two alike in the country- if not the world. :)

I have found maybe a dozen cars that get to 90% of my criteria---but each seems to have one fatal flaw (or at least one thing that causes me to keep looking vs make an offer).

It is both funny and frustrating at the same time. :)

...and making me recalculate the 3 year cost of ownership difference between a new one (which would have a 5 month lead time!) and finding a used on CPO one.

Just an observation.....

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
It is true there are likely more potential option combinations with a Porsche than any other mass produced car.

Are there one or two options that are a perquisite for you that are difficult to find?

After many months I ended up buying a car that was only my third color choice because it was loaded with non-prerequisite options at the right price. For example I would have never spent the $ for Burmester, but the car I bought happened to have it, and it turned out to be one of my favorite features.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have some must haves and some 'really want to haves' and some 'nice to haves' and some 'really don't likes':

MUST:
ACC
Garnet interior (unless Carmine exterior)
PP+
Heated steering wheel
18 way seats (MIGHT consider 8 ways if everything else was perfect AND had the GTS leather package)
If a Turbo, PSE and PASM

REALLY WANTS:
Roof rails
SC
Under 30K miles (will consider slightly higher)

NICE TO HAVES:
CPO
PTV
Parking w/SurroundView

REALLY DON'T LIKES:
Piano Black
Body color side blades
Wood interior
Any steering wheel other than full leather

COLORS:
Pretty flexible other than Sapphire

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Assume the garnet and ACC are the two most difficult options to find?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The ACC is the tough one. Garnet is easy to find.
I have/had ACC in my current Macan and AP in my Tesla before that and I think it is a great safety feature.

·
Registered
427 Posts
The ACC is the tough one. Garnet is easy to find.
I have/had ACC in my current Macan and AP in my Tesla before that and I think it is a great safety feature.
I'm surprised ACC is that rare. We have it in our 10 year-old Acura MDX (Advance trim) and have found that once you are accustomed to having it you wouldn't want to go without it.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
THAT is my point exactly. When we (Porsche owners) pay so much for our cars and our options, it is shocking to me that this very basic and extremely effective safety feature is not selected by more buyers. My local dealer (Greenwich CT so not exactly a low income location) said that no one really asks for it and no one has walked away from a lot car without it so they don't spec it on lot cars.

Seems completely crazy to me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I do think ACC would have a higher take up rate if the forward collision warning and brake assist feature was included in the title rather than the fine print/description... a lot of city/in town drivers might look at ACC and say they’d never use it (or pass on the price), but might be inclined to tick the box if forward collision and brake assist were the headline (at least, for me, it wasn’t until I combed through the descriptions for each option in detail that I discovered this, which was the only reason I ticked the ACC option on my wife’s build as sheet insisted she’d never use ACC).

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I do think ACC would have a higher take up rate if the forward collision warning and brake assist feature was included in the title rather than the fine print/description... a lot of city/in town drivers might look at ACC and say they’d never use it (or pass on the price), but might be inclined to tick the box if forward collision and brake assist were the headline (at least, for me, it wasn’t until I combed through the descriptions for each option in detail that I discovered this, which was the only reason I ticked the ACC option on my wife’s build as sheet insisted she’d never use ACC).
I am really struggling here, but as I understand your reason to buy the ACC is because your wife didn't want it? Sometimes you win the lottery picking up a unappreciated ticket.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Good point @KotNTW - and another is that when people talk about not wanting to spend the money on it, I have to chuckle given what some other options cost that people are so happy to select :)

·
Registered
137 Posts
18-way seats all day long. My wife loves them and so do I on the rare occasion I drive her GTS.

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
@KotNTW you have made a fantastic point. When I was building my S5 back in December 2015 with Audis there is Not much you can add to the car and my salesman asked me if I wanted it and I told him that I really haven’t used the cruise control in the past so nope I don’t need it. Well if he actually told me the benifits of ACC I would have for sure put it on the S5.

When I built my GTS I added because I was kicking myself of not putting it on the S5 but really didn’t know the benefits of having it. Well I started using it while driving in traffic and fell in love with it. Now that I am waiting for my new one to come in and I am driving the S5 full time, I am seriously missing this feature.

Like you mentioned if dealers and salesmen actually talked about the important safety features this has they would be getting more cars ordered with this feature and I am sure people wouldn’t complain to much about the cost.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts