Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I left the house a few mornings ago my PDK (2016 Turbo, 32k miles) would not upshift out of first gear no matter what I tried.

Knowing the PDK has some electronic as well as mechanical controls, I stopped and shut off the engine for a few seconds, and when I re-started everything was back to normal.

Is this possibly a precursor for a Megatronic problem? Would not be a huge issue as I'm covered under an Axiom extended warranty until 2026, but I'm curious what I might be facing.

The issue happened only that one time. No warning lights. I did not yet get a chance to see if there are any stored OBD codes.

The only other factor I can think of is the day before I had towed a loaded Uhaul trailer a couple of hundred miles. Trailer and cargo were likely about 3000 lbs., well under the Macan's tow rating, but the weather was well into the 90's. The engine oil temp got as high as 228 (never saw it that high before), and I would expect between the ambient temperature and the load the PDK likely got hotter than ever before, although I was manually downshifting the PDK to try to keep it cool (I have lots of experience with heavy towing with other vehicles).

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you sure you weren't in manual mode?
Yes, although I did also try manual mode to manually command an upshift. And I tried the paddles too.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
Document it like you just did. Has this ever happened before? Sounds like not. Or you would have mentioned it. If the towing was a one-off time, I’d consider doing an early PDK flush/fill. It’s due at 40k anyway. Mine’s in the shop right now for that. I am at 40k.

Reactions: Shark

·
Premium Member
2,817 Posts
Have not seen that here Shark on my Turbo……odd.
I would also PDK flush now. Did mine say early…….

·
Registered
3 Posts
This may sound ridiculous, but I've seen it help with smaller electronic type blips on my Macan S. My dealership told me to lock the vehicle for 3 minutes, then unlock, and it helps electronics reset. That may not apply at all to PDK, so please disregard if that's the case.

·
Registered
15 Posts
if you haven’t done the 40K PDK fluid change, I would do that and mention the issue. Right before my 40K I had an intermittent PDK problem that was fixed with a restart of the car. I brought it in for the 40K and mentioned the issue. They replaced the valve body under warranty and covered the PDK fluid instead of me paying.

·
Registered
232 Posts
This happened to me randomly once in the past. Probably at around 25k ish miles. No idea what the cause was. At 36k now and hasn't happened since.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts