Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
recently was on vacation in northern Europe (Berlin,Tallinn,Helsinki,ST. Petersburgh,Copenhagen,Amsterdam)
noticed a few Porsche's mostly Cayennes some Panameras very few Macans
though of the big 3 BMW,Audi,MB i noticed that Audi's far out numbered the other 2
and a lot of station wagons . 1 R8
just wanted to add my 2 cents

·
Registered
142 Posts
I just got back from a Baltic Sea cruise (Copenhagen, Tallinn, Berlin, St. Petersburg, Helsinki, Stockholm, Oslo).

Lots of Audis (saw three R8), but also lots of Porsches in Copenhagen (probably more Macans than any other model). Less so in the other cities.

What really caught my eye was the number of Teslas, especially in Copenhagen. They were everywhere. Probably outnumbered all other high end car makers, and lots of Model S. We were doing a city bus tour, and at one point there was one Tesla parked behind the other for the entire block. Didn't see one charging station though.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I just spent 2 weeks travelling through Germany. To state the obvious, most of the cars were German! There were a surprising number of French cars and Hyundai/Kia too with some Japanese scattered in. Besides the Lambos, Ferraris, and McLaren that stand out from the crowd, I saw quite a few Mustangs. On the last day, I even saw 2 AC Cobras! Replicas for sure, but still very cool.

There is a much stronger bias towards practical wagons than we have in North America. I did not observe much difference in numbers between MB, BMW, and Audi, but that could be due to the regions I was in (more Southern & Bavarian bias).

·
Registered
173 Posts
In the United States we have Porsche Club of America (PCA). What exists in Europe? Does each country have its own major Porsche owner's club?

·
Registered
61 Posts
...Just back from 19 days touring France, clockwise: Paris, Reims, Dijon, Lyon, Clermont-Ferrand, Bourges, Amboise, Chartres. Ride was a Citroen D7 "Crossback", a bit large for fun, spirited driving through towns and local roads, but perfect for the autoroutes. Ergonomically and tech-ly superb. Oh, and for you audiophiles...the Focal sound system revealed details/soundstage/dynamics on FLAC files I've never heard in a car. On our trip, the 360 camera was wonderful in town and garages, maybe not a "must" in most of the USA. Windshield wash came out of arms, not from nozzles on hood. Where have I been the last 16 years?

That said, looked as often as safe to do so for Macans. Three in all...TWO were de-badged (?), one in Dijon, the second in Chartres. Very clean, elegant, "old money" look from the back on the "retro" models I saw. A couple more Teslas, FWIW, but WAYYY more cool hatches, small SUV's and wagons, the perfect cars for the roads I drove. Looked with envy at Kadjars, Meganes, 308's even the little Clios, not to mention the Skodas and MB "A's." Horses for courses, 'natch! Seemed always to attract an Audi on my a$$ on the autoroutes. Moved right, of course.

Perhaps the biggest surprise: large number of Stelvios/Giulias. Seriously. Yeah, I've read the long term reviews. Still, visually striking, like nothing else in that regard? Italian tourists? France has more international tourist arrivals than any other country in the world, and it's about the size of Texas... Drive friendly. Car rental insurance is really expensive, not to mention l'essence.

OH, this was cool: Sitting in Amboise, sipping something bubbly in a streetside cafe, tres touistique, when a FLEET of Miatas passed by...must have been a couple of dozen on a rally. Perfect car for French back roads! Also the immaculate Morgan, Brit plates, which ended up parked next to us at our digs at Chateau des Arpentis that night.

Would love to help folks from France enjoy the same hospitality they showed us on our trip in their country. Put 'em in a Ford Escape or Subie Outback and send them on their merry way through southern Utah, Oregon, Nor Michigan, Maine, Upstate NY, Kansas Flint Hills, New Orleans, Nebraska Sandhills, MONTANA, Nor Cascades, and of course, NC, coast to mountains. FP

·
Premium Member
707 Posts
My family and I went to Venice this summer. I saw a lot of boats. :confused: Later we visited the Ferrari museum in Modena. Saw a lot of Ferraris. :p

·
Super Moderator
2,036 Posts
We visited the Netherlands, Belgium and the Provence region of France this summer. I mostly took notice
of the automobiles in France because we picked up our rental car (Renault/Dacia small SUV - not too nice...)
in Avignon.

Many French cars! In fact, mostly French cars. As noted above, it was the Audi drivers who were the most aggressive on the highways.
Similar to the BMW drivers here in the US. Also, as previously stated, many cool cars and variants unavailable in the US.

One more thing - most of the cars were diesels! Diesel fuel is subsidized and cheaper than gasoline in France. Diesel
used to be much cheaper in the US, though now it co$ts about the same as premium gasoline, while delivering
significantly better MPG. My previous ride was a BMW 335d, which easily delivered 35 MPG - not bad for a 4100 lb.
car!

Our rental was a 5-speed, 3-cylinder gasoline engine. The price we paid for fuel was ~1.55 Euros per liter. At the pump,
I was glad for the 3-banger. On the road, I sorely missed my Macan. A year ago we drove a VW Passat wagon as our
rental. While it was much nicer than the Dacia, it could co$t over 100 Euros to fill the tank. :oops::eek:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts