Porsche Macan Forum banner
21 - 40 of 64 Posts

· Registered
2017 GTS
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Thanks for sharing your story (saga?) and all the great photos, @frankfurtnyc! Looks like in the end your perseverance paid off, handsomely I might add.
My wife and I are anxiously awaiting the arrival of our Carrara White GTS. It arrived at the port of Houston late last week, so it should be any day now...can't wait!
Hi @JRB, I felt that I needed to contribute to the forum by telling my story and sharing some photos since I have benefited a lot from the many helpful posts in this forum. All the major questions I had were readily available somewhere after some digging around!

Congratulations on your new car! I hope the break in period will be over quickly so that you and your wife can fully enjoy it anytime soon!

· Registered
2,011 Posts
Welcome ! .... I’m another New Yorker with a White Macan. Our house in Manhattan has been collecting dust for the last couple years and we bought the Macan as a spare vehicle at our weekend home in the Hudson Valley. Times changed and our Macan has morphed to a commuter vehicle between Rhinebeck... the farm in Tewksbury and Palm Beach and we love it.

Your purchase story resonated and I’ve found dealers largely incompetent and dishonest. The idea that a dealer advertised a car as CPO and “forgot” to perform those 100+ items is not an oversight, it’s criminal larceny and, unfortunately, common.

We may be unique in the respect, like you, we drive often and far .... about 6,000 miles last month .... 1,800 last week. I’m keeping an eye on things and am concerned about the doomsday threads of very expensive service and of 60,000 miles being “high mileage”.

The Macan serves our needs perfectly and drives great. Hope to see you in the Hudson Valley sometime.

Attachments

· Registered
2017 Macan GTS
23 Posts
Wow the city shots look like professional magazine photos. Beautiful car, always thought White w/ Red/Blk interior & Spyder wheel were one of the best combos

· Registered
1,211 Posts
Great story and nice car That Carerra white metalluc is a great color. But.... tell me about your use of the Niche Technolgies Convienience Module. Did you install yourself, or have it done?

· Registered
2017 GTS
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
Welcome ! .... I’m another New Yorker with a White Macan. Our house in Manhattan has been collecting dust for the last couple years and we bought the Macan as a spare vehicle at our weekend home in the Hudson Valley. Times changed and our Macan has morphed to a commuter vehicle between Rhinebeck... the farm in Tewksbury and Palm Beach and we love it.

Your purchase story resonated and I’ve found dealers largely incompetent and dishonest. The idea that a dealer advertised a car as CPO and “forgot” to perform those 100+ items is not an oversight, it’s criminal larceny and, unfortunately, common.

We may be unique in the respect, like you, we drive often and far .... about 6,000 miles last month .... 1,800 last week. I’m keeping an eye on things and am concerned about the doomsday threads of very expensive service and of 60,000 miles being “high mileage”.

The Macan serves our needs perfectly and drives great. Hope to see you in the Hudson Valley sometime.
Hi @CourtneyNYC, I just learned from you that I uploaded my photos the wrong way. Reuploaded them as attachments! Thank you!
Yes, I was surprised by their dishonest attitude at the very beginning, only revealed what truly happened as soon as I requested a 1:1 talk with the general manager or general sales manager.
I can understand that things can be forgotten or delayed if explained properly. The sales person suddenly not saying anything, being not reachable, no callbacks nor messages for days, made me almost lose my temper. Still, I didn't want to lose the car and that is probably what they knew and took advantage of.

Since bringing the car back home in August, we have been going on several short weekend trips to diverse places along the Hudson Valley. It was nice to be able to see the seasonal changes, from summer, fall to sudden winter last Monday. I envy the fact that you are able to get out of town for an extended period of time! I wish we could do that since we're still working remotely anyways.

Wow, 6,000 miles in a month and 1,800 miles in a week is a lot of distance you have travelled. I actually wish I had a reason to drive the car such long distances!
My wife and I are planning on eventually doing a East to West Coast and back road trip in the winter which will definitely be something close to the 6,000 miles you have travelled. Not the best time of the year but it is then when it's easier to take some time off for a longer period. If it weren’t for the pandemic, we would instead go back to Korea to see our family, which was cancelled last March.

In case we plan on going to an area you have mentioned above, I will ask you if you're around.

· Registered
2017 GTS
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Congrats! GTS looks great. Red interior is my favorite. Which Dashcam did you choose? I did Blackvue DR900 2ch and love it
Hi @Daya, thank you. Yes, all I wanted was a leather interior. At first, I wasn't sure about red but when I saw it in person, I really started to appreciate the contrast it creates.

I chose the Thinkware U1000 since this was the same Korean brand I used back in Korea.
I bought the U1000 Front+Rear Dash Cam bundle which includes a CPL filter and a hardwiring kit.
Regarding the external battery, based on my research, it seems that you can hook the dash cam up with other brand's larger capacity batteries as well but I like to keep it simple so I went with Thinkware's iVolt External battery pack.

· Registered
2017 GTS
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Wow the city shots look like professional magazine photos. Beautiful car, always thought White w/ Red/Blk interior & Spyder wheel were one of the best combos
Hi @jshaun, thank you for the kind words.
Whenever I see an opportunity, I take photos of the car here and there with whatever camera I have with me. Some are taken with a full frame camera, some are iPhone photos.
Yes, I agree. I wasn't sure about this combination at first but when I saw it in person, I started to appreciate it more and more.

· Registered
2,011 Posts
n case we plan on going to an area you have mentioned above, I will ask you if you're around.
Please do. I would enjoy showing you some of the best roads, food and attractions in the area. I’m currently doing a photo project attempting to chronicle 100 “places to see” with 25 miles of our place.

Your coast to coast will be amazing. I’ve had the good fortune to have ridden, while getting paid to ride, in 44 states and 37 of them were on a “Lap of America”. You will see amazing things.

All the best to you and your family to stay safe and healthy ....

· Registered
2017 GTS
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Great story and nice car That Carerra white metalluc is a great color. But.... tell me about your use of the Niche Technolgies Convienience Module. Did you install yourself, or have it done?
Hi @[email protected], yes the Carrara White Metallic is indeed a great color. It might not have the depth and diversity of appearance as other colors but it gives the car a very simple and modern character.

I installed both the Convenience Module and the 2 channel dash cam myself. It took some figuring out with the dash cam installation but for the Convenience Module, it probably took about 2-30 minutes. One I created a gap / access in between the trunk door and the trim panels, it was quite straightforward.

The reason for installing it although it is on the pricey side was to get certain features which are sadly not standard on the Macan.
  • To be able to close the trunk via the key fob.
  • To be able to open up all windows before getting into the car. I park in a valet garage (we can't park the cars ourselves), so I wanted to be able to open up the windows to let in fresh air when the valet person brings the car. Also made great use of it in the summer when the car was sitting in the sun to cool off the interior a little bit before getting in.
  • Having seen the tight parking spaces inside our apartment's garage, I wanted the side mirrors to fold automatically when the valet person locks the car.
  • There are also other features provided by the module which were less important for me.

· Registered
13 Posts
Hi, I did the dashcam without taking any photos. I could help you out with installing it. Let me know if you need help with it. Otherwise, I will try to summarize and take photos of it so that you’ll be able to do it by yourself.
I'll have to take you up on this offer. I'll DM you when I get my car and all settled. Turns out we have the same brand Dashcam. I chose the u800 series instead. Let me know what other parts i should buy for this then to make it work like yours.

Thanks!

· Registered
2017 GTS
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I'll have to take you up on this offer. I'll DM you when I get my car and all settled. Turns out we have the same brand Dashcam. I chose the u800 series instead. Let me know what other parts i should buy for this then to make it work like yours.

Thanks!
Hi @k41, since you already have the dash cam, you will need to make sure that you have the hardwiring kit from Thinkware and the iVolt External battery pack in order to make the same setup as I have done. Send me a DM, I'd be more than happy to show you how to do it in person.

· Registered
139 Posts
First: welcome, sharp looking ride!

Second: that much snow in NY state? Meanwhile we’re basking in 72 degree weather here in T.O.

Third, can you post a pic of your dash cam mounted? Would like to see how integrated it looks.

· Registered
2017 GTS
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
First: welcome, sharp looking ride!

Second: that much snow in NY state? Meanwhile we’re basking in 72 degree weather here in T.O.

Third, can you post a pic of your dash cam mounted? Would like to see how integrated it looks.
Hi @ikonn, thank you.
Yes, it was like this 150 miles north of NYC last Monday. Meanwhile, we had great warm weather here in NYC the past few days.
Sure, let me find some time soon to take photos of how I have hidden the data and power connection cables for the front and rear dashcams.

· Registered
2023 Macan GTS
15,251 Posts
I am late to the thread and really enjoyed the read . I am originally a New Yorker but have lived in Florida over 40 years . I did commute to lower Manhattan from Rockaway as a young person . It was almost like a part time job in commuting . I even. had to commute to Brooklyn (Bay Ridge) to go to school .

I think you will really enjoy driving the car . I know Rockaway was big deal via public transportation but when I compare Brooklyn to NYC with driving a Macan I realize the subway is quick but its not peaceful and quiet . The Macan offers that .

I can't imagine what you have to pay to park this in Brooklyn monthly . I was so young that I was still living with my parents but I did negotiate with the garage in lower Manhattan . They were really nice to me and I still recall the name of it . Chelnik Garage .

Congrats on the car . Drive it in good health !!

· Registered
2,011 Posts
Hahaha....the first snow fell 2 weeks ago Friday. We woke in the morning. . . . and saw the snow. I headed to the office, grabbed some hard copies of blueprints, whilst she gave the cats some “travel downers” . . . I raced home, we jumped in the Macan and split.

I plan to return in February or March but will likely be sucked back into a meeting in a new power plant . . Hopefully I’ll hit one of those nice days.

2 years ago I was drilling an 18’ diameter by 60’ deep foundation in 6°F weather during a blizzard . . . Looked like some sort of commercial with all the beards encrusted in ice.

I had a small SUV, a Ford Escape that I loved, in Manhattan in 2013 and I think your going to find the size of the Macan perfect in Brooklyn and Manhattan. I replaced it with the Subaru Outback, which you are required to bu6 as a prerequisite to buying a house in Rhinebeck, and the Subaru didn’t work i the city. . . Too long. But, the Escape and Macan are the prefect size. I became a park8ng wizard during years of driving an F-250 Super Duty in Manhattan. I still drive the one from the farm to Columbia some days when I teach. Mostly because great parking is a side benefit at 116th and Broadway.

Eager to see the “Macan in Manhattan” tales.

Years ago, when doing “celebrity entertainment” for Harley-Davidson, i maintained a notebook with photos of graffiti from all over Manhattan, the Bronx and Brooklyn. They’d send me bikes and I’d pose them in front of “the place on page 26”.

Funny story . . . . I had a just introduced bike hidden at the house in 2005 and decided it’d be perfect safe at 0600 on January 1 to take it for a little urban excursion while folks were sleeping off hang overs. I was down by Delmonicos, deep i the heart of the financial district when I saw a very cool old cobblestone street. I parked the bike sideways. . . . Laid on my belly with an old Nikon digital and started shooting.

I posted the photo on one of the big motorcycle forums and within 10 m8nutes my phone was ringing. Turned out the the awesome photo, and it was, had The name of a restaurant, kind of obscured in bokeh, in the background. Turns out the name of the restaurant was also the secret code name of a bike, to be introduced 8 months hence. I didn’t even know about the project. . . . But, in Cali g me to chew me out they wandered into a conversation and gave me all the details. Harley sent me one that August as a birthday gift.

Fun stuff !

· Registered
2017 GTS
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I am late to the thread and really enjoyed the read . I am originally a New Yorker but have lived in Florida over 40 years . I did commute to lower Manhattan from Rockaway as a young person . It was almost like a part time job in commuting . I even. had to commute to Brooklyn (Bay Ridge) to go to school .

I think you will really enjoy driving the car . I know Rockaway was big deal via public transportation but when I compare Brooklyn to NYC with driving a Macan I realize the subway is quick but its not peaceful and quiet . The Macan offers that .

I can't imagine what you have to pay to park this in Brooklyn monthly . I was so young that I was still living with my parents but I did negotiate with the garage in lower Manhattan . They were really nice to me and I still recall the name of it . Chelnik Garage .

Congrats on the car . Drive it in good health !!
Hi @yrralis1, thank you for your input!
I live in the Atlantic Terminal Brooklyn area, so not too far from Lower Manhattan for commuting. By train, it only took around 20 - 25 min max from door to door.
In my neighborhood, I am paying $450 monthly for parking. Commuting by car would be not an option since it would to secure another parking spot in Lower Manhattan near the Charging Bull. I wouldn't want to pay close to a combined $1,000 monthly just for parking here and there..
I really hope that things will eventually return to how things were so that the subway can regain its importance as the main means of transportation. Greetings from NYC to Florida!

· Registered
2017 GTS
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Hahaha....the first snow fell 2 weeks ago Friday. We woke in the morning. . . . and saw the snow. I headed to the office, grabbed some hard copies of blueprints, whilst she gave the cats some “travel downers” . . . I raced home, we jumped in the Macan and split.

I plan to return in February or March but will likely be sucked back into a meeting in a new power plant . . Hopefully I’ll hit one of those nice days.

2 years ago I was drilling an 18’ diameter by 60’ deep foundation in 6°F weather during a blizzard . . . Looked like some sort of commercial with all the beards encrusted in ice.

I had a small SUV, a Ford Escape that I loved, in Manhattan in 2013 and I think your going to find the size of the Macan perfect in Brooklyn and Manhattan. I replaced it with the Subaru Outback, which you are required to bu6 as a prerequisite to buying a house in Rhinebeck, and the Subaru didn’t work i the city. . . Too long. But, the Escape and Macan are the prefect size. I became a park8ng wizard during years of driving an F-250 Super Duty in Manhattan. I still drive the one from the farm to Columbia some days when I teach. Mostly because great parking is a side benefit at 116th and Broadway.

Eager to see the “Macan in Manhattan” tales.

Years ago, when doing “celebrity entertainment” for Harley-Davidson, i maintained a notebook with photos of graffiti from all over Manhattan, the Bronx and Brooklyn. They’d send me bikes and I’d pose them in front of “the place on page 26”.

Funny story . . . . I had a just introduced bike hidden at the house in 2005 and decided it’d be perfect safe at 0600 on January 1 to take it for a little urban excursion while folks were sleeping off hang overs. I was down by Delmonicos, deep i the heart of the financial district when I saw a very cool old cobblestone street. I parked the bike sideways. . . . Laid on my belly with an old Nikon digital and started shooting.

I posted the photo on one of the big motorcycle forums and within 10 m8nutes my phone was ringing. Turned out the the awesome photo, and it was, had The name of a restaurant, kind of obscured in bokeh, in the background. Turns out the name of the restaurant was also the secret code name of a bike, to be introduced 8 months hence. I didn’t even know about the project. . . . But, in Cali g me to chew me out they wandered into a conversation and gave me all the details. Harley sent me one that August as a birthday gift.

Fun stuff !
Haha, then the snow I had seen on November 2nd was just the first snow for me and not for the region.
Yes, I agree that the Macan is a pretty good size for the city. It's nimble and somewhat spacious enough for a decent amount of bulk grocery shopping. When looking for cars, I intentionally looked in the compact SUV segment since it's a perfect size for NYC and its parking problems. Furthermore, the garage, where I park monthly, charges more for larger vehicles.
If I needed a larger car, I might have considered the Cayenne but I really wanted to try out the Macan in my daily life. As long I don't have tall people sitting in the back, it works well.
Since I enjoy taking photographs which I also did for work for quite some time, I am thinking of taking photos of the car whenever I park it in an interesting environment or in an scene with beautiful lighting.
I would love to see the motorcycle photo you took in Lower Manhattan. Very interesting story!

· Registered
2,011 Posts
Hahahaha. . . . don’t get me started. My photos start when Erik Buell and I were kids. . , . Go through years , and 44 states of riding and tons of events from Playboy photos shoots in bats in lower Manhattan to taking European journalists to remote areas of Utah for secret wheelie shoots of upcoming bikes.

i had about 800,000 photos stuffed in Aperture when Apple abandoned it. I keep hoping to someday start converting them.

Another fin gig has been the photos I take in my work. I spend a lot of time in helicopters in the Hudson Valley and crawling under all the bridges in the 5 boros. You are in photo Mecca. . . In, and around, Manhattan.

Any idea what you are sitting. . . . Literally. . . On top of?

Attachments

21 - 40 of 64 Posts