Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Premium Member
1,509 Posts
That totally sucks new or old Car but especially when new, There seems to never be anywhere safe to park they will seek you out. I’ve seen young adults with kids allowing their children to open their door wide regardless of other vehicle. Hit the other car and walk off. Today people just don’t care as much as many of us do.

Reactions: Teddis

· Registered
433 Posts
No amount of PPF and ceramic can defeat a range of behavior ranging from just being inconsiderate to malevolence.

We generally park our “nice” car a long way from others. The benefits include being able to find some place to walk the dog, getting in more steps, absorbing more Vitamin D, increasing Melatonin levels and avoiding PEOPLE around your car.

However, some self defense measures and training may be a good idea depending on the area of town you’re in. Being far from the doors may scare some folks!

· Registered
166 Posts
No amount of PPF and ceramic can defeat a range of behavior ranging from just being inconsiderate to malevolence.

We generally park our “nice” car a long way from others. The benefits include being able to find some place to walk the dog, getting in more steps, absorbing more Vitamin D, increasing Melatonin levels and avoiding PEOPLE around your car.

However, some self defense measures and training may be a good idea depending on the area of town you’re in. Being far from the doors may scare some folks!
Yup, exactly what I do. I’ve been lucky. My previous two cars had no damage from parking lots. My wife’s car, a nice car too but she doesn’t share this practice, multiple parking lot damage from small door dings to two incidences where there was damage to the body and bumper covers.

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Get an estimate before reaching out your insurance. Repairs like these might be less than your deductible.
Got one - they said a week in the shop and about 1000 to paint it. They I have to get a price for camera re-calibration from Porsche dealer. Have no clue on that number yet.

Reactions: Davin

· Registered
91 Posts
A month ago I parked at a service road stop by the highway in a full capacitated lot. Upon leaving, I started my car, then a loud bang on my rear and I saw a door whacked into my left rear passenger side. A kid from the left parked car decided to kick to open his own car door. I jumped out to see but it was snowing lightly and my car was filthy so I couldn’t tell the damage. Father yelled at the kid, rushed to grab the kid’s hand and ran off. No apologies what so ever. I stared at my dent and wanting to say something but it was an honest mistake by the kid. Fortunately I know a repair shop who does great dent repair work as long as the dent doesn’t require paint job. Yeah, so be careful where you parked.

· Registered
2022 Macan S, Gentian Blue
2 Posts
I'm one to park far away from others and, as a result, have rarely had a door ding or any other damage. Still, drives me nuts when people park right next to me when there are plenty of empty spaces around.

· Registered
226 Posts
All things considered that is not terrible. Much better than taking a door hit. Sooner or later these things are bound to happen. My daughter opened my Macan door into my S2000 in our home garage. Guess who is not calling insurance :) I have foam protectors on the wall on the opposite side but what can you do.

On a side note, I usually park well away from anyone at the parking lots but 50% of the time someone is still parked right next to me. I understand people are idiots and need another car for ref. to get their parking right... but why would you park all the way across the lot only to park next to me...

· Registered
166 Posts
On a side note, I usually park well away from anyone at the parking lots but 50% of the time someone is still parked right next to me. I understand people are idiots and need another car for ref. to get their parking right... but why would you park all the way across the lot only to park next to me...
Haha! Yup, happens more often than one would guess.

· Registered
80 Posts
I live in TX, the land of massive lifted pick ups. My strategy is to hide in plain sight; aka I always park right next to these pick up trucks. Been here 10 years and have yet to get a single scratch.

These guys baby their trucks like we baby our cars; sure they do take up more space, but they are always dead center backed into a parking spot and they are VERY careful to avoid dings and dents on their own car (they spend good money on theirs), and thus by extension to those next to them. Of course, you have to make a judgment call; I go for the $20k in accessories, wheel well liners and tires you can eat off of and the truck bed that hasn't seen so much as a bag of marshmallows thrown in the back type.

All things considered, it could have been much worse! Time heals all wounds, and you will eventually forget it and move on provided the repair is acceptable! At least you won the tire lottery based on your pic!!

· Premium Member
4,656 Posts
I have to turn my car over to the attendant to park at the hospital. I make certain that the seat heater and the steering wheel heaters are on full. The car always comes back unblemished with a driver with a smile.

· Registered
4,147 Posts
I live in TX, the land of massive lifted pick ups. My strategy is to hide in plain sight; aka I always park right next to these pick up trucks. Been here 10 years and have yet to get a single scratch.

These guys baby their trucks like we baby our cars; sure they do take up more space, but they are always dead center backed into a parking spot and they are VERY careful to avoid dings and dents on their own car (they spend good money on theirs), and thus by extension to those next to them. Of course, you have to make a judgment call; I go for the $20k in accessories, wheel well liners and tires you can eat off of and the truck bed that hasn't seen so much as a bag of marshmallows thrown in the back type.

All things considered, it could have been much worse! Time heals all wounds, and you will eventually forget it and move on provided the repair is acceptable! At least you won the tire lottery based on your pic!!
Not sure where in Texas. I’m in the Houston area. People don’t care about other people’s ‘stuff’. For me, with a VA disabled tag, I use handicap spaces when available. Even then, I park over the line to give additional room to anyone parking too close on either side (usually there’s a walkway every other handicap space). If nothing is available, I park way in the back and hobble to my destination.

And still, I get hit. My insurance called the driver. She admitted fault. Said she didn’t see a BIG RED SUV next to her. Rectangle Orange Automotive lighting Font Tints and shades

She goes into the shop tomorrow. New door skins…

1 - 20 of 26 Posts