Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So in the end Porsche will not be selling a 4-cylinder version of the Macan in the US. Instead US customers can look forward to the Macan S Diesel, which features a 3.0-liter V6 engine that develops 258 HP and 580 Nm of torque.

The Macan S Diesel is expected to slot below the Macan S, which means it should be a few thousand dollars cheaper than the petrol variant that starts at $49,900.

·
Registered
972 Posts
In Australia the S Diesel is cheaper than the S Petrol ($85k vs $87k)

edit: although it is more expensive once you subtract our Luxury Car Tax ($83k vs $81k)

·
Registered
972 Posts
Q5 tdi is not the bottom priced Audi Q5. I think the Diesel S Macan lower than the Macan S price is too close to a Q5 tdi. We'll see what 2015 brings!
I should also mention that in Australia:

S Diesel: $85k
Audi SQ5 Diesel: $89k

:D

·
Registered
247 Posts
I'm not sure. I just think a Macan S diesel under $49k would destroy Q5tdi sales and they wouldn't do that. It's possible they'll do it to get the CAFE #'s up but I'll be surprised.
thats true, the Base TDI will begin at $46K USD, but you can only get TDI in the premium or prestige packs so already it comes optioned. the Macan Diesel S starting at or below $50K would be bare bones, b the time its moderately optioned you're well into the $60s.

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
thats true, the Base TDI will begin at $46K USD, but you can only get TDI in the premium or prestige packs so already it comes optioned. the Macan Diesel S starting at or below $50K would be bare bones, b the time its moderately optioned you're well into the $60s.
I know C&D speculated that the Macan Diesel S would start under $50k, but if you look at the pricing of Cayenne vs Cayenne Diesel (note neither one is an S model) then you see an increase in base price for the diesel. If the Macan Diesel S has the same starting spec as the petrol S, I'd be shocked if the diesel was actually priced below the petrol version. And let's face it, there's not too much in terms of equipment on the S model to be removed in order to make it that much cheaper...

·
Registered
972 Posts
if you look at the pricing of Cayenne vs Cayenne Diesel (note neither one is an S model) then you see an increase in base price for the diesel
Unless the Macan pricing is totally different :)

The S petrol adn S diesel are the same prices in Germany and UK. In Australia the diesel is cheaper.

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
Unless the Macan pricing is totally different :)

The S petrol adn S diesel are the same prices in Germany and UK. In Australia the diesel is cheaper.
Is it standard practice for the diesel to be cheaper in those markets for other makes and models? I sure could be missing one, but I don't think there is a single make/model in the US where diesel is cheaper or even equal in price to a gas counterpart. It's one of the reasons people are so reluctant to switch to diesel here... It takes forever to recoup the premium for the engine by saving money at the fuel station.

I'd love for the diesel to be cheaper here. I think it would cause the other manufacturers to make a similar move.

Reactions: big brother

·
Registered
972 Posts
Is it standard practice for the diesel to be cheaper in those markets for other makes and models? I sure could be missing one, but I don't think there is a single make/model in the US where diesel is cheaper or even equal in price to a gas counterpart. It's one of the reasons people are so reluctant to switch to diesel here... It takes forever to recoup the premium for the engine by saving money at the fuel station.

I'd love for the diesel to be cheaper here. I think it would cause the other manufacturers to make a similar move.
Generally in those markets the diesel is more expensive than the petrol. I think that trend is broken with the Macan because the petrol engine is a porsche engine and the diesel engine is an audi engine :)

I think here in Australia we no longer buy diesel for possible future savings... we buy it for the bucketloads of torque and awesome drivability around town!

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
Generally in those markets the diesel is more expensive than the petrol. I think that trend is broken with the Macan because the petrol engine is a porsche engine and the diesel engine is an audi engine :)
I suppose that information has been known for some time, but it didn't hit me until you said it just there. I'll bet you're exactly right about that. :)

I think here in Australia we no longer buy diesel for possible future savings... we buy it for the bucketloads of torque and awesome drivability around town!
I have a diesel pickup for massive torque, and because it loses less power up here at high altitude in Colorado. I'm 100% on board with diesel; one of my all time favorite German cars is the VW Touareg V10 TDI. :D

·
Registered
1,309 Posts

I think the reason the diesel is cheaper in Aust. is because it’s combined consumption is below the 7l/100km mark, whereas the petrol S is above 7 – the ‘luxury car tax’ is greatly reduced for a vehicle achieving below 7l/100Km. You see the same thing happening now with the F15 X5’s.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Yep LCT comes into play, if you subtract the LCT the base prices of the cars are:

Macan S petrol: AU$80,996.00
Macan S diesel: AU$83,213.70
Macan Turbo: AU$108,457.54

Hopefully the US will see parity pricing between petrol and diesel like UK & Germany tho :)

·
Registered
247 Posts
I assume the Macan S and Diesel S will be packaged identically, the cost diff will come from the cost of the engine. The TDI has already passed its payback point for VW AG, while the Macan S engine has been rewarmed by the Porsche team. The Q5 uses the petrol 3.0T seen in Macan S just without the pixie dust..

but chylld beat me to the point ;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.