Porsche Macan Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Did you get the installation guide - 12 pages?

My Indy just followed that and had no trouble - 20 minutes as Richard said it was.
Yes, was following it. It was not specific on how to get the connectors in the trim to release. Just that they were “robust.” Was hoping to do it myself.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I watched my man loosen the left side (as instructed) and it was tough but he squished his hand in and connected the pieces.
We did not do the USB cord.... a mistake perhaps... but can do that later.

I hope it works out for you

·
Registered
6 Posts
I hope I've posted this into the correct forum area
:-)
Please move if not! Hope this review helps someone who might not have come across their products.

Don't know how many of you have tried the Niche Technology products, but thought I'd write a short review as I installed two of them over the weekend.

- Niche Technology Convenience module. After buying my first Macan (2017 3.0 diesel) a few weeks ago (which I absolutely love) I found myself leaving the boot open, pressing the key fob thinking it would shut the boot (it doesn't). That and the mirrors not auto closing for me were irritations. I came across Niche and had a chat with the owner, Richard Downs, who is super friendly and passionate/helpful about his products. They have a "convenience" module which among other things allows closing the boot from the keyfob and also auto closing/opening of mirrors. Now, it's not particularly cheap, but for these two features alone I decided to buy the module. It does other stuff too, check out their website for details. Installation was easy with good instructions provided and before long the Macan was back together with everything working as expected. Great product that works as advertised!

- Sprint Booster (throttle controller). Since owning the Macan I have found the throttle inputs lazy, especially in comfort mode. I'm used to 2 litre petrol/turbo engines sports cars and wanted a little more urgency in the way it would respond to throttle inputs. I came across this product and read various reviews/discussions on the Internet about it. Seemed like a good product and reasonable priced too! Installation was fairly easy, nothing awful, just need to be careful pulling apart some of the plastics. Richard even sent me a personalised video on how to fit the switch where cig lighter is. This device is fantastic, really livens up the car, there is sports mode and race mode, so me being me I naturally tried standard vs race mode 9, and the difference is amazing. It makes the car feel a lot faster, and it certainly responds more to gentle inputs whereas before I'd press the pedal and nothing would happen, always felt I'd have to mash the pedal for something to happen. Great product, still need some time to find which mode/setting works best for day to day driving, but this has transformed an already great car into it being more driveable.

I'm happy to help anyone who has questions on installation should they also buy these products. Hope this is useful to someone!

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Hey! Glad you got it installed. I haven’t re-attempted but had significant problems trying to lower the trim from the hatch. If you have a trick or suggestion, please share!

Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey! Glad you got it installed. I haven’t re-attempted but had significant problems trying to lower the trim from the hatch. If you have a trick or suggestion, please share!

Thanks.
Just recapping the instructions, you remove the two rubber covers to access the two screws and undo. Then remove the warning triangle cover and triangle and remove another two screws. I also did remove the fuse as recommended. Then for the unclipping. On the left side of the car I grabbed the plastic by the pull down and side of the tailgate and pulled hard down and it should unclip. It gives about an inch or two of space. I then did the same on the right side. The boot close button was then accessible so I took that out and unclipped it. I pulled the centre of the plastic cover down a bit too (this is the bit around the door lock on the tailgate) and that's it. Not much room at all but enough. Then it's a case of unplugging the connectors and connecting the module.

With regards to connectors, I've highlighted one in an attached picture. You have to push the clip to the right and when you do that it arcs downwards at the same time. That releases the connector. The other connector is squeese and release. Then simply connect the module to those two ports, and then the original wiring from the car into the module.

Don't make the mistake I made, I printed the instructions out in B&W and thought the pictures were next to useless. Upon opening the PDF just now I realised the original colour pictures are great! I don't know if this helps?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
I sincerely appreciate you spending the time to recap the instructions. Unfortunately that is what I did but couldn’t get enough room to access the unit. I must have fat fingers ....

I will probably follow the advice of getting a pro to do it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I sincerely appreciate you spending the time to recap the instructions. Unfortunately that is what I did but couldn’t get enough room to access the unit. I must have fat fingers ....

I will probably follow the advice of getting a pro to do it.

Thanks!
Good luck with it. There isn't much room admittedly but definitely possible even with the small space, and I didn't want to remove the whole covering, could imagine that being a nightmare to refit. If you decide to have another go by all means take a photo/video of the space you have and I'll be able to tell you if it is right or something is amiss....

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
jjlees......

My experience was as described in the instructions.... done in 20-30 minutes

Not $$$ at my Indy
and he had no trouble following the instructions

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
jjlees......

My experience was as described in the instructions.... done in 20-30 minutes

Not $$$ at my Indy
and he had no trouble following the instructions
Yes, I was surprised. I was following the directions to the letter to the point where it said something along the lines of ‘robust clips.’ Mine were VERY robust. I applied about 60+ lbs (27kgs) of force and could only get a little bit of room. I was afraid to apply additional force and deform or break the trim piece.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I thought I was going to have to be a lot more forceful than I was, they popped out quite easily. It makes you wince doesn't it pulling trim like that....

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey everyone,
Wondering if anyone has bought/tried one of these modules from niche technologies?

Looks like they are out of Poland and this module would do quite a few nice little features for us including hatch closing and windows up and down via key fob.
I came across this Module by accident on utube. Ordered it today!!
This will be a wonderful upgrade to my toy 😃

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
@Lighthouse have you seen this thread. Funny it pops up after talking about it in a different thread. 😊

This is the system that I was thinking of getting.

If I go with this I think I will take a page out of @Willie Web play book and take it to a professional to be installed.

Reactions: Lighthouse

·
Super Moderator
2,357 Posts
@Lighthouse have you seen this thread. Funny it pops up after talking about it in a different thread. 😊

If I go with this I think I will take a page out of @Willie Web play book and take it to a professional to be installed.

FWIW, it really is a pretty easy DIY...

...and if you do, you can simply unplug the line to the little hatch open/close (BEEP, BEEP, BEEP!!!) warning speaker.

two birds, one stone!

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
FWIW, it really is a pretty easy DIY...

...and if you do, you can simply unplug the line to the little hatch open/close (BEEP, BEEP, BEEP!!!) warning speaker.

two birds, one stone!
What a brilliant idea! I really like your thinking of unplugging the beep beep beeping while everything is opened up

Reactions: Lighthouse

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I hope I've posted this into the correct forum area
:-)
Please move if not! Hope this review helps someone who might not have come across their products.

Don't know how many of you have tried the Niche Technology products, but thought I'd write a short review as I installed two of them over the weekend.

- Niche Technology Convenience module. After buying my first Macan (2017 3.0 diesel) a few weeks ago (which I absolutely love) I found myself leaving the boot open, pressing the key fob thinking it would shut the boot (it doesn't). That and the mirrors not auto closing for me were irritations. I came across Niche and had a chat with the owner, Richard Downs, who is super friendly and passionate/helpful about his products. They have a "convenience" module which among other things allows closing the boot from the keyfob and also auto closing/opening of mirrors. Now, it's not particularly cheap, but for these two features alone I decided to buy the module. It does other stuff too, check out their website for details. Installation was easy with good instructions provided and before long the Macan was back together with everything working as expected. Great product that works as advertised!

- Sprint Booster (throttle controller). Since owning the Macan I have found the throttle inputs lazy, especially in comfort mode. I'm used to 2 litre petrol/turbo engines sports cars and wanted a little more urgency in the way it would respond to throttle inputs. I came across this product and read various reviews/discussions on the Internet about it. Seemed like a good product and reasonable priced too! Installation was fairly easy, nothing awful, just need to be careful pulling apart some of the plastics. Richard even sent me a personalised video on how to fit the switch where cig lighter is. This device is fantastic, really livens up the car, there is sports mode and race mode, so me being me I naturally tried standard vs race mode 9, and the difference is amazing. It makes the car feel a lot faster, and it certainly responds more to gentle inputs whereas before I'd press the pedal and nothing would happen, always felt I'd have to mash the pedal for something to happen. Great product, still need some time to find which mode/setting works best for day to day driving, but this has transformed an already great car into it being more driveable.

I'm happy to help anyone who has questions on installation should they also buy these products. Hope this is useful to someone!
Three months after I bought mine, I got tapped in the rear. Just enough to upset me. I saw the guy sliding towards me. I hit the peddle and nothing for just enough time to get hit. If I had a Sprint Booster or if it had been in Sport mode, it would not have happened. This is one of the main default features I hate about turbos. The lag. The other, is on the track, you cannot modulate a turbo as well as a NA or SC engine.

Soon. I'm buying one after this month's American Excess bill gets paid.

·
Registered
21 Posts

Jellybean
Yes, that’s a coincidence! I saw Nick video too.

I’m with you ...... taking it to a professional. Even though I hear some are sayin it’s an easy install. Nick did it himself. But I don’t know lol 😂

I’m ordering one now. I’m also ordering the suncoast Mobile wireless charger for Macan.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Jellybean
Yes, that’s a coincidence! I saw Nick video too.

I’m with you ...... taking it to a professional. Even though I hear some are sayin it’s an easy install. Nick did it himself. But I don’t know lol 😂

I’m ordering one now. I’m also ordering the suncoast Mobile wireless charger for Macan.
Nick didn’t just do it himself - he did it one handed!

21 - 40 of 44 Posts