Porsche Macan Forum banner

New Turbo for the "Wife"

5K views 26 replies 11 participants last post by  Patch 
#1 ·
I've been browsing the forum the past few weeks and found it extremely helpful in figuring out what I want for a Macan. I am new to Porsche as of last year when I picked up a 991.1 TT. I subsequently traded that car for an ordered Boxster GTS 4.0 in December. My wife tagged along and really liked the Taycan. I took one home for her to try and while it was great, it was a little to sporty for her taste. When returning the Taycan I thought that perhaps I should have her try a Macan. She drove a Macan last year and didn't like it, which surprised me. Well, I brought home a Turbo with the agate/pebble interior and she absolutely loved it. After a few weeks of discussion on whether to pull the trigger on the inventory Macan, order one, or do nothing, she is leaning towards taking the inventory Macan. I figure with Valentine's day coming up I'd pull the trigger and not tell her. My plan is to see if she can go look at an S to see if she likes something cheaper, then have the Turbo sitting in the delivery bay when we get there, have my sales advisor tell her it is sold. I can then tell her I bought it, she won't believe me, but then we hand her the keys. I'm more excited about this than when I picked up my Boxster!

My wife is coming from a Maserati Ghibli I bought her last year. It was a service loaner and priced as used so I didn't feel terrible buying it (I would not pay new prices for those). My wife felt like Maserati was the pinnacle of the automotive world and it was always her dream to drive one. After driving the Taycan and Macan she started to figure out that perhaps Chryslers built in Italy are not actually all that fantastic. She's also noticed interior and exterior parts falling off the car periodically, which seems to also be a bit of a head scratcher for her.

I look forward to contributing here when I have something of value to add. Here are dealership pictures of the Macan. I'm normally not a fan of the body colored wheels or chrome trim, but it works well for me on the volcano grey, plus my wife thinks it will work with the matte metallic pink wrap we'll do. I need to get tuxmats, a cargo mat, and a blendmount ordered. We'll probably do delivery Friday or Saturday, as the dealership needs to get winter tires on it.

Edit: I forgot what I titled this thread...I might be a little excited she made this decision since I'm always the one who has to drive when we're in the car together. Plus my ability to haul things from the store is double or tripled now.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting
Car Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design

See less See more
#4 ·
I look forward to contributing here when I have something of value to add. Here are dealership pictures of the Macan. I'm normally not a fan of the body colored wheels or chrome trim, but it works well for me on the volcano grey, plus my wife thinks it will work with the matte metallic pink wrap we'll do. I need to get tuxmats, a cargo mat, and a blendmount ordered. We'll probably do delivery Friday or Saturday, as the dealership needs to get winter tires on it.

Edit: I forgot what I titled this thread...I might be a little excited she made this decision since I'm always the one who has to drive when we're in the car together. Plus my ability to haul things from the store is double or tripled now.

View attachment 239667 View attachment 239668
Ummmm .... matte metallic pink wrap? Can you explain that?

#5 ·
My wife likes pink. I made the mistake of doing a pink vinyl wrap on one of her cars and now it has been required on each car since then. The current favorite wrap is Avery matte metallic pink. This is her current car. I suggested she not wrap the Macan, but that is a deal breaker for her.

Edit: I actually considered PTS in magenta on the Macan, but that would pretty much make the car worthless for resale so I decided against it. Would have been unique, though.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Grille

#14 ·
There was a woman that used to park in our office condo complex with a pink wrapped Hummer a couple of years ago. That was quite the sight. Congratulations to your wife on her soon to be pink Macan, but I have to ask why "wife" is in the quotation marks. Is she not a real wife? A figment of your imagination, perhaps?

Looking forward to seeing pics of the two Porsches side by side.

Reactions: wspollack
#15 ·
Well, I feel like switching her to the Porsche family is also a great benefit to me. Now I will no longer be sad when we have to take her car somewhere instead of mine. With the Macan I'll be perfectly happy driving it (in any color). However I've been trying not to influence her car buying decision with my love of Porsche. For the most part I have not been providing her with my opinion unless asked because I want her to make up her own mind and be happy. But I am thrilled with her decision.

A funny conversation was had the first time we dropped off the Macan from an overnight test drive (this decision process has been going on for a month). We were talking to my long-time sales advisor and she made the comment to him that her main concern was that she felt like going from Maserati to Porsche was "downgrading." Despite his mask, the look on his face was great. He thought for a beat and very calmly replied, "most people don't look at it that way." Once she picks up the Macan I'm going to unload on her with my thoughts about her current Maserati. It should reinforce her Macan decision. :D

#21 ·
The pink wrap job is done. I'm happy with how it came out, but it was a ton of work. I did the disassembly of various parts before towing to the shop, then reassembled after towing home.

Since her Macan was unavailable the wife drove my Boxster GTS 4.0 for the first time since I bought it. Ran errands in it during the day on Saturday, then drove it to the gas station to pick something up Saturday night and was gone an hour driving around. She took it to the grocery store on Sunday and when she got back said we should order pizza for the kids for Easter supper and go for a drive (we didn't). The funny part is I've been telling she should drive it since December but she refused. The really funny part is we test drove a Boxster two years ago and she hated it. I told her she could trade the Macan for a convertible and showed her a used Murano Crosscabriolet for sale but she says she's keeping the Macan. :D

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive lighting

#23 ·
I know what you mean. It looks fine to me I think, but it felt wrong wrapping a Porsche especially since I liked how it looked stock. I'm conflicted. I didn't feel that way about wrapping her previous non-Porsche cars because wrapping those felt like it added something. We got volcano grey specifically because dark colors wrap better (isn't as obvious in panel gaps). But I ended up liking it much more than I thought I would.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.