Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the 2020 Turbo, there appears to be a new option available in the configurator now for S and Base models as well.

I'm very interested in seeing how it looks as well as what it actually does in more detail.

Description is as follows:

Smartphone compartment in the center console for optimized mobile phone reception, battery saving operation, and inductive charging.
Cost $690

Based on some articles it's believed to be a wireless charger. Other features such as optimized reception and battery saving is a bonus.

Checking the box doesn't update the image so it's hard to see where it would be since there's already a very limited amount of space.
First thought is the smoking package area but you can actually enable to have both options available so that rules it out.

Looking forward to seeing if anyone has happened to find it in the car, or who knows, even ordered one with it.
I've been on the hunt for a convenient wireless charger for awhile now, have one that works fine but would really love to see if I can retro-fit this as I'm sure it would look cleaner than any third party unit.

·
Registered
402 Posts
optimized mobile phone reception, battery saving operation, and inductive charging.

Well written. Everyone wants that.
All I see is a 690 dollar charger.
I have dozens of chargers.
Wife's phone is never charged.
I am always extinguishing the need gas light.
Unless that charging compartment can hold a purse? It has no value to me.

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
I bought a short cable from Amazon for a few bucks. I plug one end of the cable into the charger slot in the center console and the other end into my phone. There is a clip in the center console. I slip my phone into that clip. The total cost is a lot less than $690. :|

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought a short cable from Amazon for a few bucks. I plug one end of the cable into the charger slot in the center console and the other end into my phone. There is a clip in the center console. I slip my phone into that clip. The total cost is a lot less than $690. :|

It's more about the practicality for me. I hate wires. If I want to check a phone at a red light and switch to a different podcast or whatever, I don't want to in your case lift the compartment, unplug, then plug back in and close while moving.
The $690 when ordering a car can always be negotiated, sure you can say that you can negotiate that off before that option but that's the nice thing about a Porsche, you get what you want.:)
In this case I'm just wondering where it is, what it looks like and then will decide if it's worth it. I'm sure if signal boost is actually a working feature, could prove to be useful in some of those states where only Verizon seems to be providing service.

·
Registered
528 Posts
With the 2020 Turbo, there appears to be a new option available in the configurator now for S and Base models as well.

I'm very interested in seeing how it looks as well as what it actually does in more detail.

Description is as follows:

Smartphone compartment in the center console for optimized mobile phone reception, battery saving operation, and inductive charging.
Cost $690

Based on some articles it's believed to be a wireless charger. Other features such as optimized reception and battery saving is a bonus.

Checking the box doesn't update the image so it's hard to see where it would be since there's already a very limited amount of space.
First thought is the smoking package area but you can actually enable to have both options available so that rules it out.

Looking forward to seeing if anyone has happened to find it in the car, or who knows, even ordered one with it.
I've been on the hunt for a convenient wireless charger for awhile now, have one that works fine but would really love to see if I can retro-fit this as I'm sure it would look cleaner than any third party unit.
Make sure your phone fits in the slot in the armrest.
I am using an iPhone 8 Plus and it didn't fit, so I didn't order it.

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
It's more about the practicality for me. I hate wires. If I want to check a phone at a red light and switch to a different podcast or whatever, I don't want to in your case lift the compartment, unplug, then plug back in and close while moving.
The $690 when ordering a car can always be negotiated, sure you can say that you can negotiate that off before that option but that's the nice thing about a Porsche, you get what you want.:)
In this case I'm just wondering where it is, what it looks like and then will decide if it's worth it. I'm sure if signal boost is actually a working feature, could prove to be useful in some of those states where only Verizon seems to be providing service.
Makes sense.

My Macan came with Apple Car Play so I'm not plugging or unplugging anything. Plus, I hardly ever use my phone when I am driving.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
there is no change in this option for 2020...per porsche hq...it is the same slot in the center console that was in earlier years and late 2019 us builds. My iPhone XR doesn’t fit...and the price is, imho, ridiculous.

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
I am just wondering if someone who has this nifty compartment in their car would be able to let me know if it will fit an iPhone Xs Max. I don't mind the cable one bit to charge the phone, I am only thinking about getting this for the cell phone boosting magical powers. I am thinking of adding the Noise reducing glass to my build and I read that the glass may reduce the cell phone reception, hence the reason for maybe adding this. If I don't need it or if the phone won't fit, grand it will save some pennies since I am now adding the special glass. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
@CourtneyNYC my 25 million dollar question is will my iphone fit in the little box. Would hate to spend the money for this feature and my phone wont fit. I guess I need to hope that the dealer has a car on the lot with this so I can try it out.

·
Registered
199 Posts
For signal boosters . . . tough to beat Wilson.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Tossed it in . . . mostly out of curiosity.

The Porsche Code
1) I'd go from 18" to 19" on the wheels.

2) I guess that answers my question, regarding whether you can spec both the thermal/noise glass and the heated windshield.

You still trapped down south?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am just wondering if someone who has this nifty compartment in their car would be able to let me know if it will fit an iPhone Xs Max. I don't mind the cable one bit to charge the phone, I am only thinking about getting this for the cell phone boosting magical powers. I am thinking of adding the Noise reducing glass to my build and I read that the glass may reduce the cell phone reception, hence the reason for maybe adding this. If I don't need it or if the phone won't fit, grand it will save some pennies since I am now adding the special glass. Thanks!
Tried an Iphone 11 pro max (same size) in one of the phone holders in a 2020 S on the lot (which didn't have wireless charging) before ordering and it was a tight fight but worked.

SA told us that the wireless charging phone holder would be the same size so we ended up ordering that option. Can let you know in a couple weeks when it arrives.

EDIT: Phone name

·
Registered
528 Posts
Tried an Iphone 11 pro (same size) in one of the phone holders in a 2020 S on the lot (which didn't have wireless charging) before ordering and it was a tight fight but worked.

SA told us that the wireless charging phone holder would be the same size so we ended up ordering that option. Can let you know in a couple weeks when it arrives.
Did you try iPhone 11 Pro or iPhone 11 Pro Max?
@Jellybean in the post above is asking about iPhone XS Max which is the same size as iPhone 11 Pro Max (well, it's 0.02in or 0.5mm shorter).

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have the 11 Pro Max and the wireless charger in the new S5 Cabriolet works perfectly. I seldom use as I have a mount I love in the Audi and in the Macan. I am GUESSING the Macan charger size would be the same. Eager to see.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
You folks must have nerves of steel ... or good replacement programs. By that, I mean that I assume all this talk is of phones au naturel.

I always add a case (and a tempered-glass overlay) to my phones -- I currently have an iPhone 11 Pro, with a LifeProof case -- and the cases of course make the phone larger. Am I correct in my assumption, in terms of what fits or doesn't, is in terms of case-less phones?

·
Registered
528 Posts
@dk3what, thanks for the info!
I guess with phones growing bigger Porsche had to re-design their Wireless charger - I couldn't fit my iPhone 8+ in it in 2018 Macans.
I hope somebody will get it and post a picture how the new one looks like so it can fit bigger phones.

@wspollack,
Wireless charges work on phones in cases too, you just need to make sure your case doesn't have a magnetic plate in it and fits into your charger.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
You folks must have nerves of steel ... or good replacement programs. By that, I mean that I assume all this talk is of phones au naturel.

I always add a case (and a tempered-glass overlay) to my phones -- I currently have an iPhone 11 Pro, with a LifeProof case -- and the cases of course make the phone larger. Am I correct in my assumption, in terms of what fits or doesn't, is in terms of case-less phones?
I used to feel the same way about my phone cases, always had some sort of fold over protective case on my iPhones....usually leather with a magnetic to keep the cover closed. Those cases unfortunately didn't work with inductive chargers (because they were thick), and would not fit in the phone specific area of the Macan's center console. But since I had to plug in my phone to use Apple CarPlay on my 2018 Macan, I leaned to live with the case issues.

Then COVID-19 hit....

I leaned quickly that having a porous leather phone case is just not viable since I would be wiping my phone down multiple times a day with disinfecting solution. So I came to the realization that if I wanted a phone case that works with inductive charging, is robust enough to take disinfecting solution, AND would fit in the phone specific area of the Macan's center console, I would have to change to a new style phone case. I resorted to a semi-rigid plastic case that has raised edges front & back (to protect the face of the phone and camera lens when laying it down). So far it has worked well, has not changed color after months of wiping it with disinfectant wipes, works with inductive charging, and fits in the Macan's center console slot....which is very important to me now since my 2020 Macan will have inductive charging.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have an iPhone 11 Pro Max and fits in there [2020 Macan Turbo]. Though the phone gets pretty hot if any time of consequence in the "smart compartment". This slows the wireless charging down a good bit. My desktop wireless charger has a fan and keeps the phone cool this allows for quicker charging.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts