Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello guys,

I have been working on my 2017 Macan Base 2.0 for quite some time and now have finalized the mechanical side and started working on the tuning side.

Mods done so far are as follows:

For the IS38 upgrade, you need some real good mechanical skills as it involves some cutting, disassambling, rotating the body etc. in order to make it fit to a longitudinal engine. As you may know, IS38 is usually used on transverse engines on Golf R's, MK7s etc. If anyone wants to pull the trigger on such an upgrade, I can share more details on the steps.

Engine is running smoothly. And for the tune, we are working with Jon @ Flat6Motorsports for a COBB protune.

We still have slight more to go until we reach the target boost and torque levels and then I will post the dyno results and times here. More than 420HP power is expected as the outcome. Stay tuned!

EDIT: Hello again,

After 22 files, our tuning efforts with Flat6 Motorsports that took more than 3 months has ended as they haven't managed to complete the fine tuning of the ECU. Flat6 has issued me a refund, which they were not happy about but anyway I have switched to Equilibrium Tuning (EQT) and they managed to tune the engine in only 2 hours with 6 files. Ed @ EQT is very experienced with these 2.0 TFSI engines. We are assuming that we are around 400hp with this beast at 1.9bar boost pressure. I am now going to pull the trigger on their Vortex XL turbo that will hopefully allow us to go up to 2.4 bar boost and 500whp.

Flat6 and EQT has night and day difference. EQT is smooth and factory-like, with no turbo flutter, no misfires, no leaning, no knock retards.

I am attaching the COBB datalogs from Flat6 motorsports and Equilibrium Tuning for you to compare.
EQT Datalog
Flat6 Motorsports Datalog

I'll edit more when I pull the trigger on the Vortex XL turbo, but for now, this base Macan can easily be called a Macan Turbo.

· Registered
2016 Macan S
74 Posts
Nice build! I was waiting for someone to do this for a while now. It’s very common for GTI owners to upgrade to the R turbo and it was only a matter of time until one of our guys did something like this.

question:
Since you’ve already built the block, why didn’t you decide to go with a larger turbo with larger injectors?

· Registered
6 Posts
Hello guys,

I have been working on my 2017 Macan Base 2.0 for quite some time and now have finalized the mechanical side and started working on the tuning side.

For the IS38 upgrade, you need some real good mechanical skills as it involves some cutting, disassambling, rotating the body etc. in order to make it fit to a longitudinal engine. As you may know, IS38 is usually used on transverse engines on Golf R's, MK7s etc. If anyone wants to pull the trigger on such an upgrade, I can share more details on the steps.

Engine is running smoothly. And for the tune, we are working with Jon @ Flat6Motorsports for a COBB protune. It takes a lot of failed experience with inexperienced tuners to understand the importance of a good tuner. Flat6 motorsports is the one that could solve the overboosting issues with the IS38 turbo. Other tuners have tried to keep the old wastegate PIDs on the stock ecu map, which is optimized for the stock IS20 turbo, and caused overboosting. Flat6 motorsports managed to solve that immediately and we are currently at our V9 file, pushing 1.7 bars and the car feels almost better than the stock Macan Turbo.

We still have slight more to go until we reach the target boost and torque levels and then I will post the dyno results and times here. More than 420HP power is expected as the outcome. Stay tuned!
What did you use for a Downpipe? Considering installing one. Any CEL's?

· Registered
16 Posts
Hello guys,

Engine is running smoothly. And for the tune, we are working with Jon @ Flat6Motorsports for a COBB protune. It takes a lot of failed experience with inexperienced tuners to understand the importance of a good tuner. Flat6 motorsports is the one that could solve the overboosting issues with the IS38 turbo. Other tuners have tried to keep the old wastegate PIDs on the stock ecu map, which is optimized for the stock IS20 turbo, and caused overboosting. Flat6 motorsports managed to solve that immediately and we are currently at our V9 file, pushing 1.7 bars and the car feels almost better than the stock Macan Turbo.

Any updates??

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What did you use for a Downpipe? Considering installing one. Any CEL's?
I actually had a downpipe made at our factory by our welder, it's a very simple thing I have no idea why they are charging you thousands of dollars for a simple pipe that connects your turbo to your exhaust. I have a mini catted adapter to avoid CELs on the downstream O2 sensor.

· Registered
102 Posts
Hello guys,

Engine is running smoothly. And for the tune, we are working with Jon @ Flat6Motorsports for a COBB protune.

After 22 files, our tuning efforts with Flat6 Motorsports that took more than 3 months has ended as they haven't managed to complete the fine tuning of the ECU. Flat6 has issued me a refund, which they were not happy about but anyway I have switched to Equilibrium Tuning (EQT) and they managed to tune the engine in only 2 hours with 6 files. Ed @ EQT is very experienced with these 2.0 TFSI engines. We are assuming that we are around 400hp with this beast at 1.9bar boost pressure. I am now going to pull the trigger on their Vortex XL turbo that will hopefully allow us to go up to 2.4 bar boost and 500whp.

Flat6 and EQT has night and day difference. EQT is smooth and factory-like, with no turbo flutter, no misfires, no leaning, no knock retards.

I am attaching the COBB datalogs from Flat6 motorsports and Equilibrium Tuning for you to compare.
EQT Datalog

I'll edit more when I pull the trigger on the Vortex XL turbo, but for now, this base Macan can easily be called a Macan Turbo.
Did the new large intercooler need to remove the original flap shutters for the radiator?

· Registered
1 Posts
Any updates on the Vortex upgrade? I currently own a MK7 GTI with a Vortex XL sitting to instal with all supporting kids. Car is currently EQT Stg 2 and I have been offered a 2019 Macan base for a steal of an offer. I am wondering if I should hold off installing the vortex on the GTI and purchase the Macan and then do the install.

· Registered
102 Posts
Hello guys,

EQT Datalog

Hi, can you share what modifications were required on the IS38 turbo to fit on the macan 2.0?

· Registered
2018 Macan Sport Edition
78 Posts
@turkishguy I just wanted to show you a little V-Dyno chart I made of your car (based on the EQT log you uploaded, and assuming a driver's weight around 165lbs). This is probably not 100% but gives you a good idea of how well your mods have increased power over stock. Looked like max boost hit around 27.4 psi or so. Unfortunately it didn't chart the boost pressure because it looks like you didn't log that parameter (maybe only intake manifold pressure, which we could use to figure out the boost pressure but v-dyno doesn't seem to do the math properly) Impressive!

Rectangle Product Slope Plot Font

· Registered
16 Posts
Hello guys, I have been working on my 2017 Macan Base 2.0 for quite some time and now have finalized the mechanical side and started working on the tuning side. Mods done so far are as follows: For the IS38 upgrade, you need some real good mechanical skills as it involves some cutting, disassambling, rotating the body etc. in order to make it fit to a longitudinal engine. As you may know, IS38 is usually used on transverse engines on Golf R's, MK7s etc. If anyone wants to pull the trigger on such an upgrade, I can share more details on the steps. Engine is running smoothly. And for the tune, we are working with Jon @ Flat6Motorsports for a COBB protune. We still have slight more to go until we reach the target boost and torque levels and then I will post the dyno results and times here. More than 420HP power is expected as the outcome. Stay tuned! EDIT: Hello again, After 22 files, our tuning efforts with Flat6 Motorsports that took more than 3 months has ended as they haven't managed to complete the fine tuning of the ECU. Flat6 has issued me a refund, which they were not happy about but anyway I have switched to Equilibrium Tuning (EQT) and they managed to tune the engine in only 2 hours with 6 files. Ed @ EQT is very experienced with these 2.0 TFSI engines. We are assuming that we are around 400hp with this beast at 1.9bar boost pressure. I am now going to pull the trigger on their Vortex XL turbo that will hopefully allow us to go up to 2.4 bar boost and 500whp. Flat6 and EQT has night and day difference. EQT is smooth and factory-like, with no turbo flutter, no misfires, no leaning, no knock retards. I am attaching the COBB datalogs from Flat6 motorsports and Equilibrium Tuning for you to compare. EQT Datalog Flat6 Motorsports Datalog I'll edit more when I pull the trigger on the Vortex XL turbo, but for now, this base Macan can easily be called a Macan Turbo.
Any update about the build ??

1 - 20 of 22 Posts