Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Porsche sent out its new teaser commercial for the Macan. We dont get any actual shots of the vehicle, just self indulgent images of rich men climbing mountains, downhill skiing, surfing and conquering their freedom. Then Porsche pulls a 180 and shows us mommy dearest behind the wheel of her brand new Macan transporting her two boys to... wait.... SOCCER PRACTICE!!

We knew it, they knew it, the commercial confirms it. The Porsche Macan is for girls...

·
Registered
54 Posts
I am tired of commercials that show you all these images of the outdoors, and sports, and health, and then try to sell you something that has nothing to do with any of it at the end. You don't even see the Macan in the commercial. It tells you absolutely nothing about the Macan whatsoever.

Car commercials often run into this problem, but other commercials do too, like lobbyist propaganda to make you vote for/against things.

*Thumbs down*

·
Registered
256 Posts
I am tired of commercials that show you all these images of the outdoors, and sports, and health, and then try to sell you something that has nothing to do with any of it at the end. You don't even see the Macan in the commercial. It tells you absolutely nothing about the Macan whatsoever.

Car commercials often run into this problem, but other commercials do too, like lobbyist propaganda to make you vote for/against things.

*Thumbs down*
Im also as diappointed as you, they should at least show something more rather than this. But it is better than Porsche just staying quite and not saying or releasing anything on the Macan while we wait

·
Registered
54 Posts
Im also as diappointed as you, they should at least show something more rather than this. But it is better than Porsche just staying quite and not saying or releasing anything on the Macan while we wait
I don't know. This commercial is about the same as releasing nothing. Most of the commercial is just stock video of people running, or coming to the top of a ridge. Nothing has to do with the car. I just wonder if this commercial really does anything to connect people with the Macan. I don't see it being very effective.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The commercial is not selling the car, the commercial is selling you. Its pandering to narcissism, the Macan will make me this type of person, or better yet I am this person and I need the Macan to complete me.

No advertising is designed to sell a product to you, all advertising is designed to sell you TO the product. Do you fit in with us, do you want to?

I actually think the commercial is more effective this way than if they showed off the features and benefits of the Macan in sterile fashion.

Think about how many people will buy the Macan because it expresses the style of life the commercial shows, regardless of if they live like that or not. Other people will THINK they do...

advertising and psychology share quite the twisted relationship.

·
Registered
256 Posts
The commercial is not selling the car, the commercial is selling you. Its pandering to narcissism, the Macan will make me this type of person, or better yet I am this person and I need the Macan to complete me.

No advertising is designed to sell a product to you, all advertising is designed to sell you TO the product. Do you fit in with us, do you want to?

I actually think the commercial is more effective this way than if they showed off the features and benefits of the Macan in sterile fashion.

Think about how many people will buy the Macan because it expresses the style of life the commercial shows, regardless of if they live like that or not. Other people will THINK they do...

advertising and psychology share quite the twisted relationship.
good point, people's emotions do play in to how they react to things and what decisions they make, one being their vehicle buying decision. People want to be part of the good life, with luxury and this commercial shows that

·
Registered
63 Posts
My problem with this commercial is that it doesn't talk about the car at all, and the whole advertising the lifestyle thing has been done better. If you are going to do a lifestyle commercial, put a luxury amount of money into it. Most of this commercial looks like it was put together from stock images. City scapes, water, surfing, skiing... All of this is stock video with subtitles, not even a narrator to give meaning to the commercial. There is not one shot of the Macan. This is what I would expect from a student who did the project in one night the day before its due. And someone actually got paid to make this!

·
Registered
24 Posts
To be fair, from what I've seen Porsche like to be tight-lipped about a lot of things and when this commercial came out the Macan was covered under a ton of Camo. So this commercial did do it's job while being consistent with what they had going for the Macan behind the scenes

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My problem with this commercial is that it doesn't talk about the car at all, and the whole advertising the lifestyle thing has been done better. If you are going to do a lifestyle commercial, put a luxury amount of money into it. Most of this commercial looks like it was put together from stock images. City scapes, water, surfing, skiing... All of this is stock video with subtitles, not even a narrator to give meaning to the commercial. There is not one shot of the Macan. This is what I would expect from a student who did the project in one night the day before its due. And someone actually got paid to make this!
They can't give the commerical a narrator becasue it would have to be re-dubbed for use globally. Subtitles make swapping languages simpler.

It doesn't matter if they use stock images of a man skiing or make a week long trek up to the alps to shoot thier own, the message is still the same. Production values don't take away from the fact that they are selling you an idea of what others will think of you.

Lastly Porsche can't show us the Macan in this commercial becasue it shoots the wad of thier planned double debut at Tokyo and LA in November. Remember we still haven't seen the Macans final production form.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.