Porsche Macan Forum banner

If you own a Macan, will you buy an EV Macan?

• Yes, I will buy an EV Macan

• No, I will not buy an EV Macan

• Undecided. Let's see which way the wind blows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NEW POLL: If you currently own a Macan, will you buy an EV Macan?

16K views 84 replies 46 participants last post by  internalaudit 
#1 ·
By now, everyone should know the 2nd generation Macan is planned to be EV only. The latest reports indicate that 1st generation Macans will be coproduced for some period of time. For more details read Second Generation Macan.

If you currently own a Macan, will you buy an EV Macan? There is no point in discussing whether or not the infrastructure will exist. We all live in different parts of the country and different countries. Take a guess. For example, from what I see, it will never be practical to own an electric vehicle with the same practicality as gas. You have to consider those in apartments, townhouses, out in the boondocks, rural communities, urban areas, etc. So just figure your own circumstances and don't worry about everyone else. I wouldn't count on a tax subsidy either in the US. It will go away once 200,000 units are sold and changing that would require both Congress and the President to agree, regardless of who holds those offices, a very high bar to cross. Just take a guess.

Yes or No?

(Apologies, the original poll asking this question was dated 3/4/19. Due to a technical glitch, the questions and results were corrupted. Since almost two years have passed, a reasonable amount of time has passed. Maybe you have changed your mind or maybe not, so it doesn't hurt to survey the population again. Thanks for understanding. If you want to know the results of the original poll, just read the last post but do not trust the first post with the poll).

See less See more
#3 ·
No way . I feel one has to look at EV as a totally different type of vehicle . I feel that technology will evolve rapidly . If I needed. commuter car I might consider a cheaper EV car and despite not being a fan of leasing I might consider it . I would not want a ,long term commitment with it .

#4 ·
Depends.

If a "GTS" equivalent EV Macan were to come out in 2022 with at least a 400 mile range, have two motors and 700 hp total or more, handles/brakes as good or better than the current ICE Macan, have up to date tech, and cost no more than $100K....I would consider one.

#5 ·
Coming from Tesla ownership to a Macan, I welcome the addition of a family friendly EV (ie, not a Taycan Turbo S) to the Porsche lineup. Tesla offers an amazing driving experience, and an unparalleled charging network, that's what kept me with Tesla for EV ownership for 7 years. What pulled me away and back to Porsche was their service experience which I'd rate at a -1,000 out of 10. Hoping that other manufacturers elect to utilize Tesla's charging network and provide 400+ miles of real world range in their cars. There was a lot of hassle with Tesla's range loss (310 miles rated was about 260 real world driving) and long charging times on road trips. Porsche will hopefully address that and I'm excited to see what they bring to the table!

#6 ·
We all know the short comings of electric vehicles - short range, need to install a changing station in your garage, lengthy recharging times, no environmentally friendly way to dispose of the battery etc.

I use my Macan as my daily driver. I park it on the street as two modern cars do not fit in our garage (house built in the 1950's and my wife's car takes priority). I optioned my car for long distance highway traveling. Until the EV version meets my requirements, I would continue with a gas powered version. BTW, on a recent fishing trip in Central PA, I had trouble finding 93 octane gasoline. I can only image trying to find a recharging station.

#8 ·
I park it on the street
This is something often overlooked, maybe on purpose, by those that push electric car. In many urban, is on street parking. Not everyone has a garage to put a charger nor the ability to put it on their property. Hence my statement to figure your own circumstances and don't worry about everyone else.

#10 ·
Tried Tesla, returned multiple times due to quality / services issues, fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me. It may take Porsche some more time to make EV Macan appealing (e.g. safety, performance, price). Coming back to ICE Macan even knowing there maybe ICE related concerns. Would only consider when EV industries move toward safer Solid State battery or alternative solution (with minutes of charge time up to 1000 miles range), enable infra structure with both gas station and charging station support. We know it's tall order, not sure if it will ever happen. Until then, we're happy campers with ICE Macan.

#67 ·
I bought stock in, and owned one of the early Teslas for about a year. Installed chargers in my garage. First I got stuck on a 2-hour trip to Albany, NY where there weren't any charging stations. I was in for service at least half a dozen times. I started by loving this car and ended up disliking it. I traded it in and sold the stock. I now look at Teslas with pity. I'm sure the network is better for EVs now, but not good enough for me yet.

I would consider a hybrid.

#11 ·
I’m ready. I’ve owned a eGolf in the past and even with the limited range, I miss it. It was a great city car, and if I could combine the two that would have been awesome! Lol! There is a certain level of “just go” with an EV that’s nice. In my situation with a house and a garage with EV hook up ready, I would be ready to do the swap today. Having driven and rode in a Taycan, I know Porsche can do it. I know it’s not for everyone, but I would take a EV Macan “daily” and my Cayman “weekend” car as the perfect garage!

#21 ·
nope and never, i personally own a 2017 panamera turbo s, and switch to 2019 panaerma turbo s e hybrid. hated it so much, regret it. lots of problems. reason of switching because i thought the e hybrid system is fancy and every one is talking about it ect.. at the end, its an extra heavy car. its just like the new 2021 Mercedes benz GLE 63 s at 600 + hp, but innitially its 500 + like the old generation, but instead they added this electric **** to give it extra hp. and extra heavy. either buy full electric or dont buy. but thats just me, or my panamera can be a lemon.

#22 ·
For me there are two issues in EV ownership. First, range anxiety. I can't imagine being constantly concerned with finding the next charge station. Second, and most important, I can't find any information about the cost of eventually replacing the battery, or when this is likely to occur. Car manufacturers don't tell you, car reviewers don't tell you, and without such information, I can't imagine going into EV ownership. With a gas engine I can generally predict the life of the engine, or associated parts, and can influence how long the car will last through care. I don't know anything about EV longevity. Also, where would all those EV batteries go? I am not an early-adopter, especially when such important information is unknown. I suspect car manufacturers don't want customers to know, which is suspicious. So count me out, for now. Give me information first.

#24 ·
I’ve owned 3 Tesla’s and 2 Macans and 1 Cayenne eHybrid. Loved my P100D and loved all of my Porsches. My only reservation about an electric that is not a Tesla is that the Tesla supercharger network was so awesome- I’d have to think about how I’d handle an electric without that.

#26 ·
I would buy a cheapo EV for commuting (Tesla Model 3), but forego my macan s, with Cargraphic exhaust and COBB? The relentless, pops of the PDK up shifting and burbles of the PDK downshifting? Absolutely not, I will drive my car until it can run no more. I came from an F25 BMW X3, and believe me, that car was a POS. I always thought P Car people were idiots for overpaying, but once you drive one, you understand why. My AR Stelvio handles much better than the Macan, however the brutal power and luxury of the Macan are unmatched.

#29 ·
I have test-driven two Taycans this year. The Taycan is the most amazing vehicle that I have ever driven in terms of driving dynamics, acceleration, and all-out fun to drive. And I have driven a V12 Ferrari, among other fast cars. I bought a Panamera 4 E-Hybrid in 2018, and that's also a very fun car to drive. My 2019 Macan is a keeper, but it will surely be the last ICE-only vehicle that I will ever buy. This year, we bought a RAV4 Prime for my wife, and it's by far the best Toyota I've ever driven (not that that's saying a lot, mind you, but it is fun to drive in all-electric mode and can go almost as fast as my Panamera in all-electric mode: > 82 mph). I have been eyeing the Cross Turismo for years, since Porsche first floated its concept version, and I'll give it a good, hard look next year when it's finally out. But I like the higher ground clearance that my Macan gives, and I may well wait for the Macan BEV for my first BEV purchase. For me, I don't care if it only has a range of 200 miles because I do not want to use public charging; I'll be plugging the car in every night in my garage -- as with our PHEVs -- and my BEV will be my daily local-commuting driver. We will retain one or two PHEVs long-term (and possibly my 2019 Macan) for those longer out-of-town trips. But no ICEV can compare with the fun and practicality of driving a BEV locally, within a hundred miles or so of home.

Here's a news story out today, showing that the Taycan is out-selling all Porsche ICEVs in the UK (even the Macan), speculating that the BEV Macan may indeed sell exceptionally well. I expect the lowest-priced version of the Macan BEV to start between $55k and $65k USD -- well below the cost of the Taycan (just as the Macan sells for way below the Panamera today).

#30 · (Edited)
This year, we bought a RAV4 Prime for my wife, and it's by far the best Toyota I've ever driven (not that that's saying a lot, mind you, but it is fun to drive in all-electric mode and can go almost as fast as my Panamera in all-electric mode: > 82 mph).
I also test drove the new Toyota RAV 4, thinking of buying one for my father, as his car is an aging CRV that seems to want to croak, but not quite there yet..... Overall, it's not your daddy's Toyota of yesteryear, The handling, braking, and technology that is integrated into these economy cars, rival most luxury brands today. Only thing that separates them is ironically the ICE engine, the RAV4s regular non-turbo 4 pot that is mated to the 8 speed ZF transmission is smooth as silk, however it is just very slow. That is the difference today, however, when and if EV is mainstream that will be the big difference, how luxury brands will differentiate themselves with the economy brands. Luxury brands would really have to reinvent themselves in terms of technology to separate themselves from the economy brands.

#31 ·
I still worry about where all the old batteries go when they die. Seem like nasty things to have about.

Maybe Musk can load them into rockets and launch them into the Sun.

I need to get educated about all of this before it’s time to replace a car...

#36 ·
cometguy, note that HazelPDX said "300+ mile range up hill in sub-freezing weather. While we can dismiss the up hill requirement, an EV's true range in sub-freezing conditions has been shown to suffer noticeably. I wonder what the Taycan's realistic range would be in sub-zero weather, something we here in Minnesota sometimes have to deal with.

#37 ·
Supposedly 200-250 miles in sub-freezing weather. Again, if you need to travel more than 100 miles from home regularly, you'll want an ICE in your car. But if you drive mostly within 100 miles of home and can plug in at home every night, a Porsche BEV should be perfect -- even better than a Porsche ICEV (more fun, more practical, less expensive to maintain).

#39 ·
I will need the Macan to be on the market for several years before I even consider it. They will need to work out the bugs before I jump in. Also as many have already mentioned range will be a big factor for me. Even though we have charging stations at work I will still want it to have a decent range and not worry about running out of charge. It will need to be more than just a commuter car and one that I can take on long distance trips. Just bought a 21 Macan S so I will keep what I have for several years before I even consider a new SUV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.