Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello and thank you all for your advise in advance.

I just picked up my 2019 Macan S. My first Porsche and I am very excited. I am looking to personalize the vehicle a bit and would enjoy some thoughts from the creative community.

1) Rims. I am not thrilled with the wheels as i have the 19" Macan Design wheels. After seeing the 20" Macan Turbo wheels in gloss black i love them.
Should I:
a) Powder coat existing rims?
b) vinyl wrap the rims?

2) I really want to paint the calipers however i fear that the shop might damage them or cause an electrical issue. Has anyone ever had an issue with a 3rd party painting their calipers? if so what issue?

3) I dont think the front window tint is dark enough. So i want to match the rear as well as wrap the chrome trim in gloss black.

What would you do to change the look of this Macan S?

ALL thoughts very welcome!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
457 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
Nothing, well, maybe get a set of 2o or 21 inch rims, there are deals....
Drive it for 2-3 years and then order a custom build that has all your desired featured and trade it in.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Congratulations and welcome to the MF, scottpez
Over the years I have had several vehicles' brake calipers painted (always by the same shop), and I have not experienced any issues whatsoever. Get some local recommendations and/or call a few shops to inquire about other jobs they've done.
Wishing you many happy, trouble-free miles in that great looking Macan.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Welcome Scottpez - congratulations.

Have you purchased this car for cash and own this car, or are you leasing this?
Leasing? You may have to return this vehicle as delivered. Painting, tinting, changing wheels? You maybe required to return it to stock.
What is your location? 19 vs 20's. You could use the 19's for snow tires. I always get a giggle of the up charge in manufacturer wheel upgrades.
$4k for 20's? and no credit for the 19's you are taking off the car. You are better selling the 19's and buying 20's. Or just buy something used here.
Somebody here hates 20's and wants 21's. Or check out one of our sight sponsors. There are lots of people that will take your money.
If it were me. Burn those fantastic 19's off over the next year. Change them for 20's when you need tires.

You don't need to be a 20 inch sneetch. "DR S."

·
Premium Member
3,570 Posts
I would not be concerned about having the calipers painted. Lots of folks here have had it done, and I cannot recall anyone having an issue. It's a pretty straight forward job, especially on a new car. Post your general location (or add it to your profile) and maybe someone here can recommend some shops near you.

For the wheels, let your SA know that in hindsight, you really wish you had the 20" Turbo wheels in black. You never know.....there's been a few folks here who were able to swap wheels with another dealership customer. There's also a chance they might offer to get the Turbo wheels for you at a discount to the retail price. You could then sell the 19" wheels, or save them for your winter wheels.
Congratulations on the new car!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Big Smoke, I have purchased and own this vehicle. I am located in Connecticut. Thank you for taking the time to reply. Could you more specifically direct me to a forum or site that I could find rims for sale?

P.S. It isnt the size of the wheels for me, it is more the design and appearance. I just like the 20" look on the Macan in person better then on the site pics.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I too am looking for someone to powder coat wheels, calipers and exhaust tips in SW Connecticut. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

My now dirty wheels look much better than these sparkling clean ones! I want to go dark now.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,165 Posts
Big Smoke, I have purchased and own this vehicle. I am located in Connecticut. Thank you for taking the time to reply. Could you more specifically direct me to a forum or site that I could find rims for sale?

P.S. It isnt the size of the wheels for me, it is more the design and appearance. I just like the 20" look on the Macan in person better then on the site pics.

Yikes!!!

I cannot tell if you're actually serious about this.

How about google.com in your favorite browser, then search for: 20" Macan wheels for sale
(example output provided below).

You should spend some time reading about wheel sizes and the trade-offs associated. Looks are one thing.
Know (in your case, learn) what you're getting into.

Congrats on the Macan - and good luck with it!

;)

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yikes!!!

I cannot tell if you're actually serious about this.

How about google.com in your favorite browser, then search for: 20" Macan wheels for sale
(example output provided below).

You should spend some time reading about wheel sizes and the trade-offs associated. Looks are one thing.
Know (in your case, learn) what you're getting into.

Congrats on the Macan - and good luck with it!

;)
Yes I am aware of all the above thank you and I apologize for causing any anxiety over my post...lol...Below are the exact wheels I would like. Unfortunately building a car from a computer editor does not always represent a clear image in my opinion. That is what happened to me personally, otherwise i would have ordered these wheels.

Attachments

·
Registered
803 Posts
wheels are personal...
for me, they make or break a deal....

I love mine....my daughter has yours ScottPez....I would change too
Not bad wheels but not special

good luck

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
gtspencer the fronts are at the legal limit. However i just dropped the car off this morning to have the front widow to match the back and some gloss black vinyl around the windows. Testing black handles and mirror as well (this is a maybe depending on pics)

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Yes, those 19" Macan design wheels are pretty hideous.

If I were you, and since it snows in Conn., I'd keep the original wheels for the Winter...then buy a wheel set I like for the Summer.

Now as for window tint, Conn has the same limit as Mass...35%. Here you could get a ticket, and be denied an inspection sticker if your front windows don't let 35% of light through.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes, those 19" Macan design wheels are pretty hideous.

If I were you, and since it snows in Conn., I'd keep the original wheels for the Winter...then buy a wheel set I like for the Summer.

Now as for window tint, Conn has the same limit as Mass...35%. Here you could get a ticket, and be denied an inspection sticker if your front windows don't let 35% of light through.
Masscan you nailed my thought! Keep this for winter and get a summer set similar to the Turbo 20" design that i love.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ask your Porsche dealership who refinishes their rims & you can save some legwork. They usually have a contract with a wheel refinisher for prepping used cars for resale, fixing customer's damaged rims, etc. I have had four sets of BMW rims refinished/painted by the company recommended by the BMW dealer. They are happy with their work & I am too.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I also love the design of the 20" Macan Turbo wheels in gloss black. I have a white 2015 S with the 20" silver/gray spyder wheels & considering updating them with black powder coating or paint. I liked a 21" wheel but could not find all season tires for them. In Atlanta, wheel refinishing shops charge $200 a wheel for powder coating.

Now I'm beginning my search for the 2019 20" Turbo wheels & options to save money. Does anyone know of a dealership that discounts their parts more than 10%?

Some BMW parts depts. had set-up a separate online company under a different name with prices significantly less than where I live. Do you know if any Porsche dealerships have done the same?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts