Porsche Macan Forum banner

New (old) 2015 Macan S

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  catoverlord 
#1 ·
The 16 hour trip was totally worth it!

Now the detailing and catch-up maintenance begins. :)

Speedometer Light Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle

Car Vehicle Wheel Land vehicle Tire

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
Thanks for asking - only too happy to share :)

For a couple of years, the Scion FRS (the red car) has been our only car. Don't let the small size deceive you - it can fit a huge amount of cargo (including 10 bags of mulch from Lowes). Anyway, we needed a larger car that is more practical. So I started looking at cars that would be practical, not dreary to drive, and mostly reliable. Though I do most of my own maintenances, I didn't want to spend every weekend fixing things (I am looking at you BMW :)). As you start looking, you quickly realize there are not many cars that satisfy all three - so the choice came down to a manual transmission Cayenne, Macan, Kia Stinger, and maybe an Audi A7.

I look for a month or so and find a Manual transmission V6 Cayenne with 100K miles on Rennlist and make an offer. The seller finalizes the deal only to come back the next day to say he is not ready to sell just yet. I wasn't interested in an automatic cayenne, so I started looking at the Macan which supposedly handles better (didn't test drive it at that point).

I found several Macans with around and over 100K miles but they were all around or over $30K. Cheaper ones either had accidents, had very high miles, or were from sellers with a questionable reputation. I looked for another couple of months but wasn't having any luck.

Then I found one in the Cleveland area - and at a Honda Dealership! This car had under 60K miles and was listed for around the KBB price. The car turned out to be from Canada but a local couple had it for some time. The car was obviously cheaply run (Meineke oil change on a Porsche) but it was under warranty until 50K miles, so no big problem there. The dealership told me that the previous owners traded the Porsche for a CR-V (good for me).

Now, I am in Tennessee - I called the dealership and told them I'll drive there to take a look. They were acting a bit suspicious - why would I drive from Tennessee to Ohio to look at a car? Don't I have any used Porsches nearby? After explaining the same thing to three people (salesperson, his boss, and his boss's boss), I politely ask them if they meet too many crazy car people at a Honda dealership. They agreed to hold the car for me. :) So, I rent a car and drive all night to Ohio. I also set up a pre-purchase inspection at an independent shop (Steinel's Autowerks | A dedication to things Porsche).

The next morning we meet at the dealership and we go for a drive. First time driving a Macan - it is obvious that this thing drives better than any SUV I have ever driven. I am excited but also slightly worried about the PPI - if it discovers any massive problems, I drove all that distance for nothing. We drive to this PPI place and this is the most ridiculous place I have ever seen. They probably have 15-20 Porsches in the shop and outside. 944, 911s, 918s, Cayennes, you name it. They take in the car - and give us a broken Audi as a loaner and tell us to come back in 3 hours. Their pre-purchase inspection was 2.5 hours and they even measured the paint! I get a call after 3 hours, they say no major problems - just need to change the brake fluids, a couple of paint chips, and a few other minor things I need to take care of. But I shouldn't worry about buying it.

So, I go do the paperwork. I am happy I am getting a great car, the sales manager is happy and tells me the car was sitting there for more than 45 days and how I got a really good deal. He then tries to sell me an extended wheel warranty for 3K - I asked him if he ever heard of a place called a junkyard. The rest of the paperwork went very quickly. I stayed a couple more days in the area, got a COVID test (just to be safe), and drove back.

The car has been a blast to drive, especially on the mountain roads. I am impressed by how well it holds the road and how smooth the power delivery is. I am still discovering a few things (like the cigarette lighter is missing or that the manuals are in French) but no major surprises. I am bringing the car to the dealer next week. they will take care of a couple of open recalls (hopefully they will give me a Cayman or a Macan turbo as a loner:)). They will also look at the transfer case while I am there.

I have bought new spark plugs, air filters, brake fluid, PDK service kit, coolant (very slightly low), and cabin filter. I am also planning to detail and ceramic coat the paint. I will try to post pictures as I get the paint in good shape.

So, that's the story of the Macan. My trouble is now I can't decide which car to drive - I take the Macan most of the time :).

#8 ·
Awesome! Welcome to the family. I’m a year in to my “new to me” 2015 S as well with ~57k on it. It had new tires, brakes (pads and rotors) and PDK service all done at a P dealer in the six months before I bought it. Changed the oil and engine air filters before winter set in and will do the plugs in the spring. Incredible little SUV, enjoy it in good health!

#9 ·
It had new tires, brakes (pads and rotors) and PDK service all done at a P dealer in the six months before I bought it.
Awesome - it seems mine wasn't loved as much. I suspect the PDK fluid change@40K service was skipped altogether. Fortunately, the 40K service is minimal on this car. (oil change, PDK, engine air filter / cabin filter as far as I can tell)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.