Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received an email from Porsche to download and set up the new My Porsche App. I filled out everything and created an account but it says that I need to give the installation code to my dealer and they can activate my account. Is there anyway around this? Is the dealer just going to dig through the menus and enter the code themselves? Has anyone done this yet? Thanks.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Never was able to get the code to enable the Porsche Connect app on my phone. Tried to register and printed out the page you are to give your dealer but my new dealer said it was already enabled. Assume the out of state dealer I bought it from did so but didn't supply details.

I doubt there is anyway around getting a dealer to flip the switch but once I found out that it cost $200+ per year to use the app unless a new purchase. I didn't bother.

Have a service in a few weeks so if someone here uses the app and thinks it worth the $$ sure welcome what all it can do other than see how much gas is in the tank and lock your car with your phone. .

·
Premium Member
3,973 Posts
Never was able to get the code to enable the Porsche Connect app on my phone. Tried to register and printed out the page you are to give your dealer but my new dealer said it was already enabled. Assume the out of state dealer I bought it from did so but didn't supply details.

I doubt there is anyway around getting a dealer to flip the switch but once I found out that it cost $200+ per year to use the app unless a new purchase. I didn't bother.

Have a service in a few weeks so if someone here uses the app and thinks it worth the $$ sure welcome what all it can do other than see how much gas is in the tank and lock your car with your phone. .
Thanks for that information. I just deleted this.

·
Registered
12,929 Posts
I've never initiated or used the Porsche connect feature but I did sign up for My Porsche . I did it simply to track my upcoming 911 . I didn't register my other cars or any technological information. I dont answer their surveys . I sometimes read their e mail and ignore it . I understand that the Macan doesn't have the "track your dream" ordering feature but if it ever does then at least the My Porsche account is set .

·
Registered
371 Posts
I could never get the Porsche Connect app to work either and finally gave up, especially after the free one subscription expired. Is the new My Porsche app really a $200 a year subscription service? No way that’s of any value to me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Porsche Connect app never worked for me either but supposedly this new My Porsche app is supposed to right some of those wrongs, I'd just love to be able to use it without having to drive to the dealer to get it activated.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Porsche is missing out on some $ with the lack of features with the Macan in this app. Some of the features I will mention below maybe already included, I'm just thinking out loud and comparing to my previous car's app.

If it had these, I'd gladly pay the yearly fee:

• remote start (I guess US only as they have anti idling laws in EU). To be honest I understand this, I get annoyed when some neighbors start their truck and just idle it forever. I would use it sensibly, only when really needed.
  • lock/unlock doors, open/close trunk
  • trigger homelink
  • change AC/heat settings (when the car is on)
  • show car location on a map
  • maybe even some emergency features like trigger alarm, kill the engine/limit max speed, and even enable driving without a keyfob.
  • flash lights/honk horn

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
but it says that I need to give the installation code to my dealer and they can activate my account. Is there anyway around this?
The thing you want to get around is the dealer charging you $100 fore 2 minutes of button pushing. That's what the dealer closest to me did . . . . . I've never been back and will never go back.

Little like a dealer charging "ADM" . . . most polite want in the world to say "we think you're a blooming idiot, we've all the business we need and could care less if we ever see your face again".

I was happy to make that happen.

Porsche, as I have said many times, is about 10 years behind the rest of the world, take a look at FORD PASS sometime, but . . . they have good headlights, handle nicely and are nearly are quick for an SUV.

No complaints on my part and no denying the obvious reality . . . . . Vodaphone is pretty well in the rotary dial and dial up modem era.

·
Super Moderator
10,782 Posts
Lot of misunderstanding of what is going on here. I DL the app the other day. It works fine. It combines both the Connect and Connect Remote app into one. It takes a day or so for all the features to show up.

The connect part, IMO, is useless. Its just "apps" showing up on the PCM. Whats the point when its on your phone and the phone has to be there anyway. Built in Nav is so 2006 and outdated with crowdsourced WAZE reports in real time. The ONLY advantage for built in nav is actual GPS receiver whereas when there is no cell signal, your screwed.

So, to answer some stuff above ... from @strawberry

• remote start (I guess US only as they have anti idling laws in EU). To be honest I understand this, I get annoyed when some neighbors start their truck and just idle it forever. I would use it sensibly, only when really needed.

Unlikely to happen, Look up your state. Google it. States have anti idling laws. MOST Porsche prior to PDK were MT. Few people bought the automatics. So remote start was useless anyway,

• lock/unlock doors, open/close trunk
It will lock the door.

• show car location on a map
It does show the car location, and YOUR location, and can walk you to your car when you are lost in space.
  • maybe even some emergency features like trigger alarm, kill the engine/limit max speed, and even enable driving without a keyfob.
I think you CAN report stolen car, etc. You need to read the manual. Not the car connect manual but the Porsche Car Connect Operating Manual and the only way to do that is make an account at https://pcc.vodafonetelematics.com/cwp/public/welcome.do

It can also set it so that when the work on the car or you are on a ferry or the like it won't set of the alarm. It automatically tracks the car and reports to police.

It can also set alarms for speed or geographic windows. IOW, let your kids drive the car? He or she drives over 75, you will know. They go outside of the area, you know.

$299 for the full boat of services and you might get an insurance break, or not. But you will always know where your car is,.

$200 or so for the apps, which somebody might like.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
You might as well get used to it. The Good to Know app is likely going to get folded into this, too.
"In the coming months, additional apps and services will be integrated into the My Porsche App, providing you a seamless experience."
"

·
Registered
2022 Macan S PNXXS434
338 Posts
I understand it won’r work for the Macan, only the following models( from the press brief) :

Connected with current and older Porsche models
The My Porsche app is available in 47 countries and 25 languages for Apple iOS (iOS 14 and later) and smartphones with Android operating systems (Android 8 and later). Customers can sign in with their Porsche ID or register directly in the app. Functions that access the vehicle are available for the following models:

• Porsche 911 (from the 2019 model year)
  • Porsche Panamera (from the 2022 model year)
  • Porsche Cayenne (from the 2019 model year)
  • Porsche Taycan
No mention of Macan. I think all the resources are being spent on the new electric Macan.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I understand it won’r work for the Macan, only the following models( from the press brief) :

Connected with current and older Porsche models
The My Porsche app is available in 47 countries and 25 languages for Apple iOS (iOS 14 and later) and smartphones with Android operating systems (Android 8 and later). Customers can sign in with their Porsche ID or register directly in the app. Functions that access the vehicle are available for the following models:

• Porsche 911 (from the 2019 model year)
  • Porsche Panamera (from the 2022 model year)
  • Porsche Cayenne (from the 2019 model year)
  • Porsche Taycan
No mention of Macan. I think all the resources are being spent on the new electric Macan.
Works fine with my 2021 Macan.
Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle
Product Gesture Car Wheel Communication Device
Font Rectangle Number Parallel Screenshot

Font Material property Rectangle Parallel Screenshot
Font Parallel Circle Logo Rectangle

·
Registered
2022 Macan S PNXXS434
338 Posts
false, it works fine with a macan
Great - it maybe an Australia only thing. Herewith a link to the porsche news press release.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Great - it maybe an Australia only thing. Herewith a link to the porsche news press release.
Screenshots above from my 2021. Works fine.

·
Registered
2022 Macan S PNXXS434
338 Posts
Thanks for sending those pics though. I checked mine, butit looks like that functionality is not availble in Australia. When I downloaded and registered the car, it shows the correct car in my garage, but none of the additional functions per your screenshots. Wonder if anyof the other Australians have been able to access the additional features. For refrence my screenshot

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car

·
Registered
371 Posts
Lot of misunderstanding of what is going on here. I DL the app the other day. It works fine. It combines both the Connect and Connect Remote app into one. It takes a day or so for all the features to show up.

• $299 for the full boat of services and you might get an insurance break, or not. But you will always know where your car is,.

$200 or so for the apps, which somebody might like.
Can you confirm a couple of things for me? Are these prices a one time charge or an annual service fee? Do you need to go to the dealer to complete the installation? Does the app work for earlier models? I have a 2018.
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
10,782 Posts
1 - 20 of 59 Posts