Porsche Macan Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts
Discussion starter · #21 ·
Just don't forget that good deal is not necessarily the cheapest vehicle :) Looks like you don't have anything under 40k in your area indeed - bummer. but if you extend your search you can get something like this - Porsche Finder this has no options at all but it's CPO +35k miles, put 20k miles on top of that and you'll get options + CPO. I

f you take warranty into consideration this will cost you at least $4000+ for two years. So your total price is actually $37000, not $33000. With budget of 37000 you can easily shop here Porsche Finder and find a nice CPO vehicle .

Porsche makes it worthless to buy vehicle from non Porsche dealership. it's either private party or Porsche dealership as both scenarios will allow CPO. And trust me, you don't want a Porsche with at least some CPO left to figure out the issues.
Good call! You get it. This is my dilemma. Factoring in the extended warranty vs waiting for a CPO. But again the good Macan's seem to go quick or the prices are higher than this and closer to $40k+. I may extend my search since this car is over 3 hours away anyhow.

Good call! You get it. This is my dilemma. Factoring in the extended warranty vs waiting for a CPO. But again the good Macan's seem to go quick or the prices are higher than this and closer to $40k+. I may extend my search since this car is over 3 hours away anyhow.
I just had same dilemma a few months ago. Took me 6 months to find one. Ironically I found one 20 minutes away from me :) Inventory is very poor in your area, not sure why, maybe not many dealerships? I've seen good CPO macans in NYC area for around $35k. But you need to wait for the proper one of course.

33k for such a lightly optioned vehicle from non Porsche dealership is not a good deal at all in my book. If it has leaking TCC you are pretty much stuck as it's a $10k repair. You can also take a look at this thread: Engine replacement

So morale of this story: don't buy a porsche from non-Porsche dealership. :)

Discussion starter · #23 ·
I just had same dilemma a few months ago. Took me 6 months to find one. Ironically I found one 20 minutes away from me :) Inventory is very poor in your area, not sure why, maybe not many dealerships? I've seen good CPO macans in NYC area for around $35k. But you need to wait for the proper one of course.

33k for such a lightly optioned vehicle from non Porsche dealership is not a good deal at all in my book. If it has leaking TCC you are pretty much stuck as it's a $10k repair. You can also take a look at this thread: Engine replacement

Thank you for the insights! I really appreciate all the help on this forum. I just declined this car from the dealer and I think I will keep looking. We have a dealer in Bellevue but even they said that these Macan's go fast and are hard to keep in stock.

Technically there are no Porsche dealers in Seattle. The closest is in Bellevue across Lake Washington, the next closest is in Tacoma where I bought my Macan, about 45 minutes away. There is also a Porsche dealer in Bellingham, about 3 hours away. When I bought mine 3 years ago it was next to impossible to find any new ones to test drive, certainly not enough to do side by side comparisons of different models. I was never in the used car market but it sounds like it is just as tight now. I bought my used 2009 911 locally after a 9 month online search - just lucked out.

Technically there are no Porsche dealers in Seattle. The closest is in Bellevue across Lake Washington, the next closest is in Tacoma where I bought my Macan, about 45 minutes away. There is also a Porsche dealer in Bellingham, about 3 hours away. When I bought mine 3 years ago it was next to impossible to find any new ones to test drive, certainly not enough to do side by side comparisons of different models. I was never in the used car market but it sounds like it is just as tight now. I bought my used 2009 911 locally after a 9 month online search - just lucked out.
Bummer. I have like 10 here in greater NYC area. I bought mine from FB marketplace though. CPO transferred automatically as it's by VIN. So maybe makes sense to look for private party sale if there are very few dealers. According to porsche website inventory is very poor and prices are high, kind of reminds me of Porsche Greenwich.

Where are you at in the Seattle area? I watched Porsche of Bellevue's used inventory for about 3 months and one day exactly what I wanted showed up. They move a lot of Macans and as a result they get a lot of used ones moving through as people look up upgrade and/or leases expire.

Discussion starter · #27 ·
Where are you at in the Seattle area? I watched Porsche of Bellevue's used inventory for about 3 months and one day exactly what I wanted showed up. They move a lot of Macans and as a result they get a lot of used ones moving through as people look up upgrade and/or leases expire.
Hi Brian I live in West Seattle near Alki Beach. I will keep checking Porsche of Bellevue.

A friend of mine liked Roger Jobs . It's overall a tough region . I have never been there but years of posting and reading is a wealth of experiences through the eyes of the Porsche owners .

Realistically though he is at too low a price point . He's 20K under the cheapest entry level new Porsche in the entire lineup. Ideally that's where I would be heading ( a very low option base car with a full warranty) . It buys time , new tires , new brakes .. new is new . Plus a stripped base would recover a decent amount on the exit .

In contrast a 6 year old out of warranty car might become like the Lexus he has . It has none of the modern things which are desirable to a used car manager to put down an offer . Selling private is possible but then he faces strangers wanting test drive in Covid . I also find a lot of tire kickers under 50K looking at Porsche . In short .. its work . The whole point of the cars is fun .

55K is a new car out the door with minimal options , Thats 20K but 4 of it is the extended bringing the 33 to 37. Tires 2K , Brakes 2K , it adds up fast .

I know its hard to see a car sitting in front of you that looks and test drives so good but its down the road that it becomes a crap shoot . It went drop him. He's already hooked . I have sen it before ... just hope the wind is at his back on this .

A friend of mine liked Roger Jobs . It's overall a tough region . I have never been there but years of posting and reading is a wealth of experiences through the eyes of the Porsche owners .

Realistically though he is at too low a price point . He's 20K under the cheapest entry level new Porsche in the entire lineup. Ideally that's where I would be heading ( a very low option base car with a full warranty) . It buys time , new tires , new brakes .. new is new . Plus a stripped base would recover a decent amount on the exit .

In contrast a 6 year old out of warranty car might become like the Lexus he has . It has none of the modern things which are desirable to a used car manager to put down an offer . Selling private is possible but then he faces strangers wanting test drive in Covid . I also find a lot of tire kickers under 50K looking at Porsche . In short .. its work . The whole point of the cars is fun .

55K is a new car out the door with minimal options , Thats 20K but 4 of it is the extended bringing the 33 to 37. Tires 2K , Brakes 2K , it adds up fast .

I know its hard to see a car sitting in front of you that looks and test drives so good but its down the road that it becomes a crap shoot . It went drop him. He's already hooked . I have sen it before ... just hope the wind is at his back on this .
I think you are exaggerating a bit with brakes and tires. My car had like 10k on the brakes/tires with receipts. And if it didn't I would just do the brakes in my driveway for $500 and would buy tires for $1000.

As for the modern things, can you elaborate please? The only thing which is really missing on 2015 is carplay and it's a $300 part (wireless btw, not wired). Except of that Macan S is Macan S and will always remain Macan S.

I think you are exaggerating a bit with brakes and tires. My car had like 10k on the brakes/tires with receipts. And if it didn't I would just do the brakes in my driveway for $500 and would buy tires for $1000.

As for the modern things, can you elaborate please? The only thing which is really missing on 2015 is carplay and it's a $300 part (wireless btw, not wired). Except of that Macan S is Macan S and will always remain Macan S.
The size of the wheel and whether summer tire or not might impact price . Doing the brakes in your driveway means you are working . I am quoting dealership prices . Buying a Porsche is not just about having a precision instrument to drive . It's a touch of luxury . In fact even Lexus prided itself on a luxurious customer service experience .

An older car faces many of the technological and safety features . Used car managers care about those things with a daily driver like an SUV . A classic 911 is different . In fact compare prices of a 10 year old Cayenne to a 10 year old 911 . The SUV is obliterated in value by comparison .

If he bought a low option base car or even a CPO loaner vehicle with 3K miles or so he's in cheap (by Porsche standards) and safe in terms of worry. He says he's financing the car . He cant face another big expense on top of the monthly payment .

My feeling is go ALL in on day one . The first service is free. Tires and brakes are new . At least he knows his max expense . Its not a gamble. Its clear as a bell.

Discussion starter · #31 ·
The size of the wheel and whether summer tire or not might impact price . Doing the brakes in your driveway means you are working . I am quoting dealership prices . Buying a Porsche is not just about having a precision instrument to drive . It's a touch of luxury . In fact even Lexus prided itself on a luxurious customer service experience .

An older car faces many of the technological and safety features . Used car managers care about those things with a daily driver like an SUV . A classic 911 is different . In fact compare prices of a 10 year old Cayenne to a 10 year old 911 . The SUV is obliterated in value by comparison .

If he bought a low option base car or even a CPO loaner vehicle with 3K miles or so he's in cheap (by Porsche standards) and safe in terms of worry. He says he's financing the car . He cant face another big expense on top of the monthly payment .

My feeling is go ALL in on day one . The first service is free. Tires and brakes are new . At least he knows his max expense . Its not a gamble. Its clear as a bell.

Well I see your point but this is the dance that most of have to do in order to cut costs and minimize risk hence the CPO car. If you are flushed with cash to support a new car and spend extra money servicing at the dealer then **** yeah more power to you.

Well I see your point but this is the dance that most of have to do in order to cut costs and minimize risk hence the CPO car. If you are flushed with cash to support a new car and spend extra money servicing at the dealer then **** yeah more power to you.
Porsche is a company that sells 250k cars . Even servicing a base Macan is at Porsche service rates . Now of course one can hedge some of the costs but it is not cheap and there are risks involved with buying a 7 year old out of warranty car from a non Porsche dealership . I am only raising awareness . I will be the first to wish you well no matter how this goes .

Mine are 20". I don't think you can go much bigger. And I am fine working at $180/hour. Wrenching is my hobby anyway. I do not disagree with vehicle being out of warranty though, that's why i strongly advise CPO.

You don't have to service the car at the dealership but you have to be ready for that expenses are not even close to what you would see for Japanese car. I am coming from G37X so it' pretty much the same as Lexus IS350. I bought the best tires for it and they were $800, for Porsche that's at least $1200 (20"). I closely work with Amazon and know how to get a deal so I was buying legit engine air filters for $10 a pair. For Porsche it's $100. Infiniti dealership charges $120 an hour, Porsche - $180. Oil change for infiniti - $150, for Porsche $500 (dealership prices).

I don't really care about oil, brakes and other consumables as I enjoy wrenching (especially at $180 an hour) but you need to be ready for Porsche tax. It's also pretty heavy on gas - my G was usually 20mpg, while Macan S is 14-15 (I drive both cars as they were designed to).

All these things need to be taken into consideration.

Mine are 20". I don't think you can go much bigger. And I am fine working at $180/hour. Wrenching is my hobby anyway. I do not disagree with vehicle being out of warranty though, that's why i strongly advise CPO.
Mine are 21on the Macan Turbo . I make more than 180 an hour . I also get a loaner when they work . It’s part of a lifestyle thst many in Porsche enjoy having . No one likes reliability worry or problems .

I used Occam's razor on your statement. Makes more sense this way.
So maybe Occam can pick up the tab after that CPO goes toast on a big ticket item . Look we all know that there are guys who do the work themselves or go to this or that indy shop but when the $h*t hits the fan they end up at the dealership . The reason is that a really top notch Porsche shop has the most advanced diagnostic equipment and tools . They also hire guys who eat, sleep, breathe Porsche . Yep .. they charge a lot and not all shops are alike but even that is worth researching . The point is that a car in the shop is not being enjoyed .

So maybe Occam can pick up the tab after that CPO goes toast on a big ticket item . Look we all know that there are guys who do the work themselves or go to this or that indy shop but when the $h*t hits the fan they end up at the dealership . The reason is that a really top notch Porsche shop has the most advanced diagnostic equipment and tools . They also hire guys who eat, sleep, breathe Porsche . Yep .. they charge a lot and not all shops are alike but even that is worth researching . The point is that a car in the shop is not being enjoyed .
The car at the shop is not being enjoyed. CPO or not. But there are few catastrophic issues which will make you kiss goodbye to an out of warranty car: PDK death (not mechatronic) or blown engine. What's the probability of these things happening?

The car at the shop is not being enjoyed. CPO or not. But there are few catastrophic issues which will make you kiss goodbye to an out of warranty car: PDK death (not mechatronic) or blown engine. What's the probability of these things happening?
There are examples of both in this forum. Those members no longer post. I do remember when they had the problems.

Discussion starter · #40 ·
If it's inspected and addressed under warranty properly it should minimize the risk right? Otherwise why would anyone buy a car with that much uncertainty? Sure it drives great, but if you want to "be connected to the road" you can buy a sport bike for under $5000 and have a far better experience. :)

21 - 40 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.