Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! My name is Brian. It has been my dream since I was a kid to own a Porsche ever since seeing and drooling over my uncles 911. I swore one day I would own a Porsche.
Well today I took delivery of my 2018 Macan. Volcano Gray w black interior. Black 19” sport rims I haven’t stopped smiling since I signed the paper work yesterday. Although not sleepin all night with excitement (like a kid on Xmas eve) wasn’t fun today at work. Anyhow. Happy to be part of this forum!!

now for a few pics :). I’ll get better ones. I snapped these yesterday at the dealer

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome (from another first-time P-car owner), and enjoy the ride.
Thanks you!!
Welcome! She's gorgeous. Go wear yourself out driving so you can get some sleep. :)
Haha good idea. Well good news I just woke
Up from sleeping like a baby for 9 hours haha
Welcome to P-Land! The Macan is the gateway drug of choice.... be careful!

Enjoy it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Uh oh hahah. Thank you!

·
Registered
2019 Macan Base, Premium Plus, 19" Turbo wheels
238 Posts
Great looking car!

Those are some serious tires on there, too. (y)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great looking car!

Those are some serious tires on there, too. (y)
thank you! yeah they put some sweet Mich Pilots on there. dont know if Ill be able to replace them when time is warranted lol $$$

·
Registered
2018 Base
20 Posts
Hi, I'm also a 1st-time P-car owner, got my 2018 base just over a month ago. Haven't stopped smiling since.

I highly recommend LED side markers. I installed these without removing anything (there is a small access hole in the front wheel well, pushed a screwdriver thru it to pop out the old ones) Smoked / Clear Side Markers for Porsche Macan (2015-19)

I've also plasti-dipped my rear emblems and plan to do the same to my exhaust tips.

Can see more low-cost mods I've done here: New 2018 Base (Carmine Red) owner

·
Registered
2019 Macan Base, Premium Plus, 19" Turbo wheels
238 Posts
thank you! yeah they put some sweet Mich Pilots on there. dont know if Ill be able to replace them when time is warranted lol $$$
I don't think those are available anymore (A/S 3).

They should be stickier and sportier than the Latitude Tour HPs, which are also excellent (and worth the $$$$$, IMHO).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't think those are available anymore (A/S 3).

They should be stickier and sportier than the Latitude Tour HPs, which are also excellent (and worth the $$$$$, IMHO).
i googled them. they are def available. but at $288 a whack. might be out of reach haha. so i can always do the much better option.....when your car needs new tires...get a new car! by then ill be able to grab a 2021 Macan ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi, I'm also a 1st-time P-car owner, got my 2018 base just over a month ago. Haven't stopped smiling since.

I highly recommend LED side markers. I installed these without removing anything (there is a small access hole in the front wheel well, pushed a screwdriver thru it to pop out the old ones) Smoked / Clear Side Markers for Porsche Macan (2015-19)

I've also plasti-dipped my rear emblems and plan to do the same to my exhaust tips.

Can see more low-cost mods I've done here: New 2018 Base (Carmine Red) owner
question...does the LED light in those cause an error message in the car info?

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Awesome, you even got the best color too....congrats!

Now get that old balance weight adhesive off that right rear wheel....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Awesome, you even got the best color too....congrats!

Now get that old balance weight adhesive off that right rear wheel....
thanks! and good eyes!

Ill do that tonight :)

·
Registered
2018 Base
20 Posts
Those particular LED side markers work great for me, no error codes after about a month. They have a capacitor that I read helps to avoid the issue. Helped me to know about that ahead of time when configuring the wiring, they didn't come with any installation instructions and would have been a mystery as to how to connect them properly. They look amazing! What should have taken 10 minutes took me over 30, was a little tricky to pop out the originals via the access holes and I just didn't want to fool with the wheel liner.

I had a screw removed from my rear tire just yesterday. I used black plasti-dip to mask the shiny balance weights they installed. In case you find any weights you want to hide in your rims.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Those particular LED side markers work great for me, no error codes after about a month. They have a capacitor that I read helps to avoid the issue. Helped me to know about that ahead of time when configuring the wiring, they didn't come with any installation instructions and would have been a mystery as to how to connect them properly. They look amazing! What should have taken 10 minutes took me over 30, was a little tricky to pop out the originals via the access holes and I just didn't want to fool with the wheel liner.

I had a screw removed from my rear tire just yesterday. I used black plasti-dip to mask the shiny balance weights they installed. In case you find any weights you want to hide in your rims.
great! what did you do with the capacitor? i heard it gets hot and am looking for ideas where to put it

EDIT: just ordered some, will be here tomorrow ;)

·
Registered
2018 Base
20 Posts
I just pushed the wire with the capacitor through the hole and let them dangle behind the bumper. I don't hear them when driving. I read about other solutions but figured I would try the simple approach first and see what happens. Plus I worried about any heat building up if I wrapped them up with something like electrical tape. So far so good.

Do you live in a state that requires a front plate? I don't and mine came like yours. Just the other night I removed the plate holder from the front bumper. Left behind 4 holes. I tried various things and thought about getting bumper plugs, but then decided to just fill them with caulk and used touch-up paint over that. Not ideal, but 4 largish bumper plugs would probably look worse and any type of professional fix is stupidly expensive.

Another little thing it took me some time to learn as a first-timer is to point all the center rim crests to the valve stems like this one on yours. I used an allen wrench to remove my center caps (push the J end into one of the small holes and pull). Like a lot of things on a Porsche, those caps are a bit pricey if OEM.

I've also ordered metal door sill guards. Mine has cheap plastic. They are scuffed up and just don't look like they belong in a Porsche. Not sure why Porsche cheaps out on some stuff, they look like they belong in a Corolla, jeez. Here are the ones I ordered, read the comments to see how easily people are installing them via tape: Stainless Steel Door Sill Logos

Dressing up the key fob and keychain to match your car's color is also a nice little mod. Especially for me since my car doesn't have keyless entry or start/stop and I am always handling the key fob. I have come to like doing it manually once again, feels "special" with a Porsche. Found my painted keyfob side pieces on ebay for something like $10. Again, Porsche charges a lot of money to order a colored key fob when buying new, hundreds I think. Can find lots of interior mods on ebay.

Other handy things I've learned:

- this is a super helpful thread: Five Years of Macan Secrets/Tricks compiled into one post!

- cobb tuning and a Pedal Commander seem to be useful performance-oriented mods. For myself I am waiting until the factory warranty expires.

- replacing the AGM battery is no simple (or inexpensive) matter. See Replacing & Registering the Battery For myself I have turned off my auto-off engine function. Once turned off it stays off. Should help to extend the battery's life.

- beware of engine oil leaks. Plenty of threads about this on the forum. Not sure if Porsche has any warranty extensions to cover them.

- beware of the transfer case. Transfer Cases Porsche has extended the warranty for it: MY2014 – MY2018 Macan Transfer Case Warranty Extension

I didn't know about these issues when I first bought mine. I took comfort in knowing I had some remaining factory warranty until late this year. The 2018 is probably one of the better model years for a used Macan from what I've come to learn. The car is a joy to drive so enjoy your good fortune!! I've put 1k miles on mine b/c I take it out for no reason at all just to drive it around and to get to know it. Took many weeks to learn all of its functionality as a first-timer. There's surely some things I still don't know yet, ha.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just pushed the wire with the capacitor through the hole and let them dangle behind the bumper. I don't hear them when driving. I read about other solutions but figured I would try the simple approach first and see what happens. Plus I worried about any heat building up if I wrapped them up with something like electrical tape. So far so good.

Do you live in a state that requires a front plate? I don't and mine came like yours. Just the other night I removed the plate holder from the front bumper. Left behind 4 holes. I tried various things and thought about getting bumper plugs, but then decided to just fill them with caulk and used touch-up paint over that. Not ideal, but 4 largish bumper plugs would probably look worse and any type of professional fix is stupidly expensive.

Another little thing it took me some time to learn as a first-timer is to point all the center rim crests to the valve stems like this one on yours. I used an allen wrench to remove my center caps (push the J end into one of the small holes and pull). Like a lot of things on a Porsche, those caps are a bit pricey if OEM.

View attachment 241480

I've also ordered metal door sill guards. Mine has cheap plastic. They are scuffed up and just don't look like they belong in a Porsche. Not sure why Porsche cheaps out on some stuff, they look like they belong in a Corolla, jeez. Here are the ones I ordered, read the comments to see how easily people are installing them via tape: Stainless Steel Door Sill Logos

Dressing up the key fob and keychain to match your car's color is also a nice little mod. Especially for me since my car doesn't have keyless entry or start/stop and I am always handling the key fob. I have come to like doing it manually once again, feels "special" with a Porsche. Found my painted keyfob side pieces on ebay for something like $10. Again, Porsche charges a lot of money to order a colored key fob when buying new, hundreds I think. Can find lots of interior mods on ebay.

Other handy things I've learned:

- this is a super helpful thread: Five Years of Macan Secrets/Tricks compiled into one post!

- cobb tuning and a Pedal Commander seem to be useful performance-oriented mods. For myself I am waiting until the factory warranty expires.

- replacing the AGM battery is no simple (or inexpensive) matter. See Replacing & Registering the Battery For myself I have turned off my auto-off engine function. Once turned off it stays off. Should help to extend the battery's life.

- beware of engine oil leaks. Plenty of threads about this on the forum. Not sure if Porsche has any warranty extensions to cover them.

- beware of the transfer case. Transfer Cases Porsche has extended the warranty for it: MY2014 – MY2018 Macan Transfer Case Warranty Extension

I didn't know about these issues when I first bought mine. I took comfort in knowing I had some remaining factory warranty until late this year. The 2018 is probably one of the better model years for a used Macan from what I've come to learn. The car is a joy to drive so enjoy your good fortune!! I've put 1k miles on mine b/c I take it out for no reason at all just to drive it around and to get to know it. Took many weeks to learn all of its functionality as a first-timer. There's surely some things I still don't know yet, ha.
Great info!! Thank you very much taking the time to share it all. I’ll def be reading all of that soon :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts