Porsche Macan Forum banner

New Member - 2017 Macan GTS

3K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Cory007 
#1 · (Edited)
Just bought my first Porsche, a used 2017 GTS and I'm loving it. significant step up from my 2016 Audi SQ5.

44K KM and came with all my hoped-for performance parts including Sports Chrono, Torque Vectoring Plus, Air Suspension, PASM and 20" RS Spyder wheels. Came with all the maintenance records and it appears the previous owner didn't drive it in winter.

My mods so far:
  • Side and back window tinted to 35% using 3M Crystalline film
  • Had a few of the interior chrome trim pieces wrapped in black vinyl
  • front hood and areas behind each tire protected by 3M paint protection film
  • PCM 4.0 code upgraded from K3300 to K5127 ($185 at Porsche Dealer)
  • Navigation maps updated to 2017/2018 ($128 at Porsche Dealer)
  • New rubber: Michelin Sport Pilot 4 S Front: 275/40-20 Back: 315/35-20 back on the stock Spyder rims
  • New winter rubber: 20' Spyder clone wheels, stock sizes Pirelli Scorpion snow tires.
  • Sunglasses holder in driver side grab bar space

Being an acceleration and handling freak, I have lots of plans for this beast:
  • Cobb access port with 91 octane map, Can't get good gas to allow 93 map here
  • Flat 6 high flow intake system and filters
  • Performance downpipes with cats (only if I'm sure the gain is worth the $4K+ total price tag)
  • Performance exhaust
  • Polyurethane suspension bushings
  • Lower 1 inch using PIWIS

Other planned mods:
  • Rennline Grill screens
  • Tint the top 8" of windshield

I'm very much looking forward to contributing to this community.

See less See more
#2 ·
I find all the chrome in the interior reflects a lot of light causing too much glare on a sunny day. Here are some picks of the interior with the black vinyl wrap

All of the steering wheel except centre ring and paddles. Unfortunately the complex shapes that needed covering resulted in 2 imperfections that have since mostly disappeared as the vinyl cured. Still, I may replace this with this: Steering Wheel Trim - Black

The area around the shifter, the shifter button and the pull down tab on the cover over the CD and SD card compartment. Please excuse the dust.

The chrome trim up the side of the screen and across above the carbon fibre trim

I also covered up the ugly airbag warning labels on the visors.

I didn't want to go too crazy as the chrome trim nicely compliments the black and carbon fibre interior.

#5 ·
The tires in the picture were the well-worn Pirelli Scorpion Verde all seasons in stock size. As soon as I got the car, I bought the PS4Ss and drove for a week before putting the snows on. No pictures yet unfortunately.

They fit the wheel well fully with the 10mm spacers off. With the spacers on, the tire hung out of the wheel well by ~10mm/.4 inch and I didn't care for the look. The tire has a high rubber to void ratio, they looked almost like race tires. From behind the almost .8 inch wider tire looked mean!

I only had a week with them and the roads were pretty cool (temps in the 40-50F area), but they DEFINITELY performed better than the Verdes. On my favourite windy roads and ramps I could do at least 15 km/hr (10mph) faster with neutral steering and were less fidgety on rough services when turning. I found the Verdes tended to understeer, whereas the PS4S were closer to neutral depending on throttle position. The tires allowed me to apply more throttle earlier in the turn for better exit speed.

Pot holes or dips in turns didn't upset them. Ride comfort was 95% as good as the Verdes, even though the side walls are much stiffer (thank AS/PASM for that). I was surprised, they did great in the rain even on the cold roads. These tires have a 50% higher treadware rating than previous PSs..

No problems (yet) with mounting them on the stock rims, which are .5" below (IIRC) the recommended minimum rim size. They fit squarely on the rim and the rim protection feature (slight bulge in the tire) looked proper. No interference problems with the suspension or brakes that I noticed while driving or during inspection when I changed to winters.

#9 · (Edited)
Fellow Canuck welcome....great looking GTS.
What have you got p[lanned for
  • Polyurethane suspension bushings
cheers !
Thanks Teddis!

Nothing yet. I'll wait to see how the Michelin PS4Ss and lowering improves handling in spring. My one week experience with the S4s showed the car was more neutral handling, but it still leaned more than I like.

I like to buy suspension components from the same manufacturer as they are (hopefully) engineered to function as a matched set. I've been watching the thread on sway bars and if someone identifies a sway bar as effective, I'd look to buy the bushing from the same manufacturer. Surprising how little is available for the Macan considering how much was available for my previous SQ5.

Flat 6 sells the PowerFlex bushing kit: Powerflex Front Sway Bar Link Bushings (Macan)

#14 ·
..........; maybe theres an odd filter on the photo from the dealer
lol. You are right.

I bought the car from a Kia dealer which I'm a little embarrassed to admit for no valid reason. The dealer likes to flip hot cars, it's not uncommon to see Lambos, Porsches, Vetts, M3s, AMGs, etc. on his lot. He has a service which cleans and polishes the car, then they play with the photography to get the look they want. Great dealer and salesperson. Wheel Tire Cloud Vehicle Sky

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.