Porsche Macan Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Apparently new car smell is not that healthy

It's not. I've seen some studies going back 20 years, some were alarming, even touching on workers comp issues for people in the industry. But I've also seen that new car salesmen would have to be exposed some rediculous amount of time to possibly see any effect. The glues and adhesives within the dash and door panels give off fumes which were the most toxic.

I've yet to find a safe substitute that will last. The closest I had was some leather cleaner/treatment from Einszett. I had read on a message board if you left the car closed up over night it would be noticeable. That lasted maybe a week.

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
It's not. I've seen some studies going back 20 years, some were alarming, even touching on workers comp issues for people in the industry. But I've also seen that new car salesmen would have to be exposed some rediculous amount of time to possibly see any effect. The glues and adhesives within the dash and door panels give off fumes which were the most toxic.

I've yet to find a safe substitute that will last. The closest I had was some leather cleaner/treatment from Einszett. I had read on a message board if you left the car closed up over night it would be noticeable. That lasted maybe a week.
I am aware of a startup that is developing AI for nose and they are working with some large car manufacturers to develop scents that are perceived by the human nose as new car smell. The idea is that each car manufacturer can have its own scent. Will see.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
More recently, in a February 2012 study, the Ecology Center, a Michigan-based nonprofit environmental organization, after studying the VOCs in about 200 new vehicles, noted the presence of several dangerous chemicals which “can be harmful when inhaled or ingested and may lead to severe health impacts such as birth defects, learning disabilities and cancer.” Further, the World Health Organization has recognized that interior air of vehicles may constitute a “major concern for human health” considering how much time people tend to spend in them and the chemicals present.

Hey, I like it too! Man, that smells good, but after reading the above, maybe not so much!
I read the same. They urged keeping the windows down while in the garage, and keeping windows cracked while driving to lessen exposure, especially for young children or adults with breathing difficulties.

I too enjoy the smell too but now that I am better informed, I enjoy it a bit less. Can’t get behind spraying chemicals to simulate the smell from a health perspective, but to each their own.

·
Registered
2017 S
34 Posts
When I picked up my CPO Macan it had been detailed with a great smelling citrus carpet product. It really made getting in the car "special". The dealership couldn't identify what product had been used, but the experience made me seek out alternatives. On a lark, I signed up for the monthly Drift "scent of the month". I like the way it's implemented, a quick change magnetized piece of wood on an unobtrusive visor clip, and so far after 10 months there was only one scent I really didn't like (you can ask them to strike a scent from your list). Even with it mounted right above my head on the sun visor, the scent isn't over powering. $9 a month and cancel if you don't like.

wood freshener

·
Registered
2021 Macan GTS
63 Posts
When I picked up my CPO Macan it had been detailed with a great smelling citrus carpet product. It really made getting in the car "special". The dealership couldn't identify what product had been used, but the experience made me seek out alternatives. On a lark, I signed up for the monthly Drift "scent of the month". I like the way it's implemented, a quick change magnetized piece of wood on an unobtrusive visor clip, and so far after 10 months there was only one scent I really didn't like (you can ask them to strike a scent from your list). Even with it mounted right above my head on the sun visor, the scent isn't over powering. $9 a month and cancel if you don't like.

wood freshener
so it was not this?

·
Registered
2017 Macan GTS
212 Posts
so it was not this?

LMAO!

I can hear the wife now: honey you said you drove to home depot? how come your car smells like a stripper?! I just use Lexol cleaner to clean my leather seats, let it dry and smells really good right after and lasts up to a week or so.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts