Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might be an odd topic, but hey... why not? 0:)
I absolutely love the smell of a new car in general and I'm looking forward to 'smell' my Macan for the first time. For me, it is a huge part of the look and feel and the overall sensation of my cars.

When I got to the delivery of my latest 5-series, I was really disappointed as it smelled only very modestly as a new car should. My X5 smelled way better/stronger and had the same leather interior.

I'm not sure what material or glue or whatever it is that smells sooo good in a new car, but I've had new cars that smelled stronger and kept that new car smell for a longer period than others.

How's the Macan doing on the new-car-smell charts?

I know there's all sorts of fake new-car-smell deodorizers on the market, but they're all just chemical mixtures that don't even come close to 'the real thing'... :D

·
Registered
203 Posts
depends on options. I was in a brand new Macan that had less than 100 miles with standard interior and it didn't have any smell. My GTS has 800 miles on it now and smells like leather. Smells amazing

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
More recently, in a February 2012 study, the Ecology Center, a Michigan-based nonprofit environmental organization, after studying the VOCs in about 200 new vehicles, noted the presence of several dangerous chemicals which “can be harmful when inhaled or ingested and may lead to severe health impacts such as birth defects, learning disabilities and cancer.” Further, the World Health Organization has recognized that interior air of vehicles may constitute a “major concern for human health” considering how much time people tend to spend in them and the chemicals present.

Hey, I like it too! Man, that smells good, but after reading the above, maybe not so much!

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
Reactions: mdubya

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for your replies, really appreciate it.

It makes the remaining wait for delivery just a little harder :D

·
Registered
10,607 Posts
I'll just say this, had my car for 2 years, still has that "new car" smell...

My 911 Turbo is 10 years old and still has the new car smell . The less the car is driven the easier it is to retain it . it does have to be driven enough though to keep the interior air circulated otherwise the vents can get stale (in humid climate) .

The Macan is harder for me to keep . With multiple drivers (light perfume .. etc) , take out food in the trunk, pets in carriers , it still holds up but it wont last 10 years for sure. I estimate 2 years though.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
My GTS smelled fantastic for the first 1k miles. Best smelling new car ever in fact! I'm at 1,961 and the new car smell is gone. But that's ok, 'cause now I get to drive it like it was intended!

·
Premium Member
2,503 Posts
I keep a plastic tub of Juice fruit gum in the car.....cause i like it......but EVERYONE says it smells like new, LOL

·
Registered
243 Posts
i personally prefer the JDM Squash smell. i learned about these on my RX-7 JDM Days and i buy these often. Used to buy them from Tuner Shops locally but lately you can only find them on amazon.

Now if you really want that "NEW CAR SMELL" i learned that a lot of detail shops are using products from the youtubers The Chemical guys and this product in particular is the best in the market but is so strong you have to dilute it to your preference but it truly is the only product that will give you that smell. This is what professional detail shops use for all the used car dealer vehicles that are sent to them for detail jobs.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Tell tell sign should be to add more water after you regain conscious when spraying
Lol. I'm not a fan of strong chemicals.
BTW, there are several studies that indicate the "new car smell" is from chemicals that are harmful to your health. The only smell I prefer in a new car is the smell of leather.

Otherwise, I just use a charcoal filter for freshness in a car.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Otherwise, I just use a charcoal filter for freshness in a car.
Yasssss Bamboo Charcoal FTW. During the summer months on my Cayenne I usually strap paddle boards and kayaks up top but after coming home. All that wet gear would leave moldy smell for days inside the car. Someone suggested Bamboo Charcoal and my gosh that is like magic air purifier. Moldy smell gone in 24 hours

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Reactions: OSUBuckeye
1 - 20 of 27 Posts