Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems like there have been quite a few deliveries of 2020 GTS's. Does anyone have any feedback about how they drive vs the first gen? I just placed an order for a '21 GTS so I'm really curious how the motor in particular compares to the original?

·
Registered
739 Posts
Actually I would like to know if the exhaust note is loud on ignition and loud on acceleration especially for any in Australia as we have no petrol particulate filter on our version.

·
Registered
154 Posts
We own a ‘17 and are likely to order a new one. Was able to test drive two of them.

The turbo lag problem with the old GTS is pretty much gone, but like the old engine it somewhat lacks grunt at low revs. It’s the type of thing that does not show up in the specs on a piece of paper. Need to drive it to understand.

On the other hand, above 3000 rpm is where the new engine comes into it’s element.

As for handling and ride, there is no significant difference.

The infotainment is the greatest improvement IMO.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We own a ‘17 and are likely to order a new one. Was able to test drive two of them.

The turbo lag problem with the old GTS is pretty much gone, but like the old engine it somewhat lacks grunt at low revs. It’s the type of thing that does not show up in the specs on a piece of paper. Need to drive it to understand.

On the other hand, above 3000 rpm is where the new engine comes into it’s element.

Thanks for the info. Does it feel like it pulls stronger up top with the new motor? I have an '18 and it always feels like it runs out of breath above 5.5k or so.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Actually I would like to know if the exhaust note is loud on ignition and loud on acceleration especially for any in Australia as we have no petrol particulate filter on our version.
We won't be getting the particulate filters on our versions here in the U.S. either.

What I'd really like to know is has brake pedal feel improved with the Macan's new brake pedal assembly introduced in 2019.

·
Registered
2020 Macan GTS, Sapphire Blue Metallic, AgateGrey/Pebble w Carbon Fiber
18 Posts
Yes it is loud on both. Loud in a good way.

·
Registered
2020 Macan GTS, Sapphire Blue Metallic, AgateGrey/Pebble w Carbon Fiber
18 Posts

I don’t feel the engine lacks grunt at low RPM, especially if you are in Sport mode. In normal mode the PDK is slightly less eager to downshift but I would expect it to be programmed that way. This is a lovely, responsive engine transmission combo, choose the appropriate drive mode for the occasion and you will not be disappointed.

·
Registered
2020 Macan GTS
153 Posts
I don’t feel the engine lacks grunt at low RPM, especially if you are in Sport mode. In normal mode the PDK is slightly less eager to downshift but I would expect it to be programmed that way. This is a lovely, responsive engine transmission combo, choose the appropriate drive mode for the occasion and you will not be disappointed.
There are a lot of happy Pedal Commander users on this forum. Can anyone comment on a 2020 GTS Pedal Commander vs. stock set up? I have ordered one as pedal responsiveness is vital to my driving enjoyment.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Does it feel like it pulls stronger up top with the new motor? I have an '18 and it always feels like it runs out of breath above 5.5k or so.
It is noticeably stronger, but I can’t really say the difference is substantial. The new engine does also run out of breath as it approaches red line, but not as much as the old GTS engine. My guess is that peak torque is at a higher RPM with the new engine.

In my experience both the sport button as well as Pedal Commander merely mask the turbo lag/low end grunt issue with the old GTS engine. I can certainly see some people claiming it helps, but in the end all it does is mean you don’t have to press the pedal as far as stock to get the same result. Certainly does not make the GTS any faster.

Cannot really say the brake pedal feel on the new GTS is any different than our current car. But I also have to say I really was not focusing on it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts