Porsche Macan Forum banner

61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Macan GTS ordered. Night blue, black full leather interior.
41 Posts
Great advice. Just what I needed. Any thoughts on which unit to purchase?

·
Super Moderator
8,624 Posts
Any of the 5 Amp and higher should do it. But, the 7002 has a mode for supplying power with the battery out, if that is something you need. It should also be charge quicker. I have both an older 4.3 and the 7002 but only use the 7002 now. If you want to do the battery analyzer thing, I would avoid something like the test and charge and get a real battery analyzer. Many people get the MXS 5.0. But if it get cold, than the Polar unit might be best for you.

·
Registered
312 Posts
CTEK now has a model selection guide. Don’t remember seeing it when I was deciding what model to get six months back. MXS is recommended for the Macan. Can adjust for temperature and has a recondition Mode. $86 on Amazon. If I’m not driving for a day I have it plugged in.

Reactions: Canuck

·
Registered
2020 Macan GTS ordered. Night blue, black full leather interior.
41 Posts
CTEK now has a model selection guide. Don’t remember seeing it when I was deciding what model to get six months back. MXS is recommended for the Macan. Can adjust for temperature and has a recondition Mode. $86 on Amazon. If I’m not driving for a day I have it plugged in.
Yes, I looked at the CTEK chart before leaving my comment and read about the MXS 5.0, MUS 4.3, and 7002. It is somewhat useful. Still, as someone new to battery charging, differences hard to appreciate between units from a practical perspective e.g. how important is alternator testing as provided on the MUS 4.3 vs higher amps on the other units. Appreciate the insights from experienced users.

·
Super Moderator
8,624 Posts
Alternator testing is good when the car gets older. But if you are going to worry about that, get a real battery analyzer. The contain the test to see if the alternator is working correctly or the ripple in the alternator charging.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Had my 23 month old 17s with 8500 miles battery replaced today. And it was NOT under warranty do to not driving 6000 miles a year and no trickle charge used.

part (958-611-092-21)/labor. The dealer charge 671.00 with a 20% coupon.

On my to do list today is to buy a trickle charger. Any idea what trickle charger maintainer should I buy.

Thanks
Is this 6000 mile restriction spelled out in the manual or anywhere else ?

EDIT FYI: Yes it is.In the U.S. Warranty Manual in several places. Considered minimum milage on a "rolling" basis with out using a Battery Maintainer. I have no idea how they know you did or didn't hook up a Maintainer.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I’ve gotten into the habit of hooking up the charger all the time unless I know for sure I’ll be using it again early the next day. The charger is set up right next to the Macan all ready to go so it takes very little time.

1. Get out of the Macan with it still running, pop rear hatch.
2. Plug in Ctek to rear hatch 12v plug. Close hatch.
3. Reach in and turn off car.
4. Lock car with fob.

The rear 12v outlet seems to stay live through power outages and a restart of power.

Reactions: grim

·
Registered
312 Posts
Read your warranty book under "Your Responsibility for Normal Vehicle Use" This includes 15 miles/day or 6,000/year on a rolling year basis, not a calendar year basis. It even mentions a battery maintainer.
If I am remembering correctly the CPO book has similar wording.

61 - 71 of 71 Posts