Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New Pirelli Scorpion Zero All Season Plus tires just put on 21" Turbo Rims. So far I likey. SUV should have all seasons...no ride diff compared to Conti summer tires. Hopefully I get more than 21k miles out of them. They look a bit more "meaty" on the rim due to corners.

Attachments

·
Registered
824 Posts
I just got these on my 20's. So far very happy after 400 miles. Waiting to break them in to try launch mode. The pirelli scorpion verde all seasons were breaking a little loose on turns with heavy throttle in first gear and i did a 4 wheel mini burnout once in launch mode. Hopefully these scorpion zeros will stay more planted (i bet they will because they are Y rated and have a much better tread pattern). The best 60ft time i could get with the old tires was 1.9 which kind of sucks compared to what other members here are posting.
Also these have less road noise than the verdes.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Do check the braking performance of All Seasons v Summers.

You will find inferior performance from the All Seasons.

They are a compromise tyre.

Why compromise on a Porsche?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Nice looking. Good compromise in terms of cost but also a compromise in terms of performance. I've run both on my Turbo and will always run summer tires on my Porsche. Where I live you need winter tires so why not spread out the wear and get the best tire for the time of year. Cheers

·
Registered
824 Posts
Nice looking. Good compromise in terms of cost but also a compromise in terms of performance. I've run both on my Turbo and will always run summer tires on my Porsche. Where I live you need winter tires so why not spread out the wear and get the best tire for the time of year. Cheers
Agreed. This is by far the best approach for maximum traction. However, in the midwest we dont really have discrete seasonal changes. It can be freezing at night with snow and 80 a day or two later. This can go on for weeks in the fall and spring, and inevitably you will end up with situations where you have worse traction than an all season tire. So you will be changing into winters way too early and summers way too late, with suboptimal traction somewhere along the line. I would rather run all seasons than snows for those 7 months of possible cold weather (unless I lived somewhere with legit snow like buffalo or canada).
At the end of the day, the macan with good all seasons will handle better than 98% of cars in chicago, so youre really at the mercy of other drivers plowing into you if the snow hits the fan :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update: I put well over a 1000 miles on the Turbo 21" Pirelli Scorpion All Seasons. Drove from NJ down to VA and back along with lots of local driving. They are quiet and handle equal to the oem Conti's that came with the car (I didn't take the car on a racetrack). I have taken jug handles hard and broke hard in them and notice no difference to the summer tires. Driving in the rain was similar. Have not driven in snow yet. This is a no brainer for replacement tires. I really like the way they look also....they look way beefier. No need for second set of rims (cost/storage) and dealing with switching. ...And the 21" Turbo rims make the Macan look awesome.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Update: I put well over a 1000 miles on the Turbo 21" Pirelli Scorpion All Seasons. Drove from NJ down to VA and back along with lots of local driving. They are quiet and handle equal to the oem Conti's that came with the car (I didn't take the car on a racetrack). I have taken jug handles hard and broke hard in them and notice no difference to the summer tires. Driving in the rain was similar. Have not driven in snow yet. This is a no brainer for replacement tires. I really like the way they look also....they look way beefier. No need for second set of rims (cost/storage) and dealing with switching. ...And the 21" Turbo rims make the Macan look awesome.
Thanks for posting Marc.

I for one am still skeptical. On other cars I've always found differences between summer tires and all seasons in terms of handling and grip levels, I'm willing to put up with the hassle of switching over to keep the handling, and I need winter tires anyway because of my ski trips to New England and upstate. I've risked my neck with all season tires before doing that, and learned the consequences.

I also see the treadwear rating Pirelli has put on them, and I have to wonder if they achieved that by going to a harder rubber compound that will tend to be less grippy than a summer tire on hot, dry day, and less grippy than a softer winter tire on ice or in snow.

I use Pirelli Scorpion winter tires, and while they are very good in winter conditions, when I went back to the summers in the spring it was a breath of fresh air in terms of handling.

On the other hand, there's no question we are seeing better and better all season tires come to market (better in warm/hot weather, and better in the winter too), and for some of us they may increasingly make sense. Would love to be shown that I'm wrong, and that Pirelli has figured it all out, as there are some major advantages to all seasons.

·
Registered
334 Posts
@marc2828, thank you for sharing this as I would certainly consider when time comes to replace the summers for the simple fact that this would shorten the time that my wife (her Macan) has to ride on the 20" winter tire set for exactly the reasons that one of the posters to this thread noted that in dry and warm conditions they are not ideal such as a sudden warm up for a week or two. Also, I wonder what do you set Tire Type to in PCM when having All Seasons on 21". I checked today after reading your post and PCM only goes to 21" (S) setting and assume the correct setting matters for TPMS calculations for the rim size and tire type.

·
Registered
611 Posts
That is great to hear, keep us posted on how they continue to perform. They also have a set for the 20" rims on the GTS and the load and speed ratings are better than the Verde's. Treadwear rating is a little lower but they are cheaper so still better in the long run.

·
Registered
824 Posts
That is great to hear, keep us posted on how they continue to perform. They also have a set for the 20" rims on the GTS and the load and speed ratings are better than the Verde's. Treadwear rating is a little lower but they are cheaper so still better in the long run.
Ive got them on 20' spyders on a 15 turbo. They handle everything the car can put down with nearly 1000 miles on them. Smooth ride as well. I would rate them equivalent to the ultra high performance michelin pilot sport all seasons I had on my previous car.
I figure the discrepancy between these and summers during warm months will be miniscule compared to the discrepancy between these and summers in winter months. Here in Chitown with multiple seasons in 1 day for weeks at a time, this is the way to go. Extra 5% traction in the summer is not worth it to me.
Also, if you are not driving the 400 hp model and doing launches, these will never slip on a dry road. Period

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Thanks, @marc2828, really good info. I would've ordered 21" wheels on my GTS if I could have gotten A/S tires. All seasons work fine for my driving style and have served me well during the 2 or 3 skiing trips I take each winter. I hope Porsche soon offers a 21" A/S option on the Macan as they do on the Panamera.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Bumping because I just bought these based on your recommendation. Have about 100 miles on them now and I don't notice any difference from the P-Zero summers that came with the car. This is only on spirited street and freeway driving (which is all that I do). Grippy, smooth, quiet and responsive. And they should last way more than the 12k I got out of the P-Zeros.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hmm... Lots of varying opinions here. I think we'd need to separate the very generalized "winter vs. summer tires" discussion from the very specific model of tires being mentioned above. I did the summer/winter swap for MANY years and although the Pirelli winter (or all-season) tires are exceptionally good considering their composition, they exhibit, without question, a different feel from their summer counterpart. No, it is not dramatic, and I could even see how people might not feel any difference if their driving conditions don't challenge the tires, but I drove them hard and the SottoZeros (the Pirelli all-seasons I used) lost a tiny bit of grip to their summer cousins. On the flip-side, they were more comfortable. Summer tires were, I don't know, 7-10% more firm. Again, not dramatic, but it was undeniable.

I'm happy to know that there's a solid all-season option for 21" Turbos since that's what I have, and I may take the Macan to the ski hill next winter.

·
Registered
112 Posts
For most Macan owners, the all season tire makes sense in everyday driving as there advantages are many.

Yes the summer tires will be better at the track which most of us will never see.

Just bought the Pirelli Scorpion All Seasons for my 21" Turbo's and love them.

·
Registered
894 Posts
You absolutely don’t need to go to the track to realize the numerous benefits of summer tires over “no season” tires, which are inherently forced to be a compromise. In everyday driving summer tires are superior in dry road handling, wet road handling, dry road braking, wet road braking.

Yes, many, and possibly most summer tires today are tilted toward maximum performance with softer, grippier rubber, and that softer rubber is going to wear quicker than a harder rubber compound. Tires are always a compromise.

And no question seasonal changeovers are a PITA.

Sure, many Macan owners who don’t push their cars at all will be perfectly happy with a good no season tire. But if you are interested in maximizing the exceptional handling capabilities of the Macan including warm weather grip, braking, road feel, turn in and on center feel you definitely want an excellent set of summer tires.

If that’s what you bought your Macan for, don’t cut yourself short. If you don’t push your car at all, sure, no season tires will be just fine, and you will likely get more miles out of them and not have to be concerned with seasonal changeovers.

·
Registered
99 Posts
As someone astutely mentioned earlier in the thread, a Macan is a vehicle of compromises -- it is not a sports car -- so it's not a stretch to think that all-seasons would be a better fit for many. It is certainly inaccurate to suggest that summer tires are a must, or that all-seasons rob the Macan of performance. I went a year on all-seasons and never, not once, felt that they lost their grip or needed more, and it was driven very aggressively. Summer tires provide more grip, and no one's questioning the science, but it's more grip than this Crossover Utility Vehicle needs.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts