Porsche Macan Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Here in OZ there have been hundreds of DSG failures in Audi's and VW's. People are being shafted by the companies, they end up having to spend between $4-7k or repairing the DSG units. It's you and your luck with a VW group DSG, unfortunately!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Yikes man! They look like amazing cars, but after what you just said, makes me think otherwise. Need something reliable!
I recently bought an Audi S5 Sportback so I am not scared. But for the record, our Porsche SUV experience has not been trouble free. Not counting the recalls, our Cayenne was in the shop half a dozen times for an AC blower and multiple recurring air suspension issues. We eventually moved on to a Macan S which has had an O2 blower replaced, and is now going in tomorrow for a leaking timing chain cover (a $10,000 engine-out repair) that is thankfully still in warranty period. German cars are pay-to-play. Excellent performance but hurt a bit when they break. Only trouble free cars we have owned were our Lexus GS 350s but they get boring after a while.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Don
Here in OZ there have been hundreds of DSG failures in Audi's and VW's. People are being shafted by the companies, they end up having to spend between $4-7k or repairing the DSG units. It's you and your luck with a VW group DSG, unfortunately!
I don’t understand. Isn’t the Macan PDK actually an Audi DSG? And there have been very few Macan DSG failures. Seems to be a disconnect. What am I missing?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I recently bought an Audi S5 Sportback so I am not scared. But for the record, our Porsche SUV experience has not been trouble free. Not counting the recalls, our Cayenne was in the shop half a dozen times for an AC blower and multiple recurring air suspension issues. We eventually moved on to a Macan S which has had an O2 blower replaced, and is now going in tomorrow for a leaking timing chain cover (a $10,000 engine-out repair) that is thankfully still in warranty period. German cars are pay-to-play. Excellent performance but hurt a bit when they break. Only trouble free cars we have owned were our Lexus GS 350s but they get boring after a while.
I only add my two cents. I hope you realize that your Audi (current S models) do not have dual clutch transmission or DSG only Eight-speed Tiptronic automatic transmission which means less defective than "Macan PDK" (read VW DSG) and definitely more comfortable. At least in my personal opinion.Regards

·
Registered
18 Posts
I only add my two cents. I hope you realize that your Audi (current S models) do not have dual clutch transmission or DSG only Eight-speed Tiptronic automatic transmission which means less defective than "Macan PDK" (read VW DSG) and definitely more comfortable. At least in my personal opinion.Regards

·
Registered
954 Posts
What is an O2 blower? You mean an O2 sensor? Where did the $10000 cost figure come from?

·
Registered
200 Posts
I never mentioned anything about a transmission, but yes, the S/RS-5 models use an 8-speed ZF. A5 uses the dual-clutch unit.

·
Registered
200 Posts
What is an O2 blower? You mean an O2 sensor? Where did the $10000 cost figure come from?
The Macan has a small blower in the O2 sensor section of the emissions control element of the exhaust. It activates during start. I was getting CELs which initially were thought to be a relay problem, but that did not fix the issue but the blower replacement did.

The $10K for the timing chain leak is noted in multiple threads on the topic. It is due to the requirement to pull the engine and transmission to get access to all the aluminum bolts for the cover.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I think the $10,000 number is nothing but an exaggeration and example of FUD. My guess is some dealer threw out those numbers to try to make an owner feel better about the repair. Who here has actually shelled out anywhere close to $10,000 for this?

Think about it… The parts required to do the job don’t amount to more than $1000 and assuming $200 an hour for labor, there’s absolutely no way that it’s going to take 45 hours of labor to do this. Perhaps half that. Anyone here ever remove an engine on a modern car? Yeah it’s it’s a big job but there’s no way an experienced tech is going to take a full week to do this.

How is it that Gleung604 said the job took 3 days? Jeanmarie97 was given a 4800 euro estimate? German88 said the PCNA warranty reimbursement is 20 hours. Big Nick was told $4000-$5000. TurboSwim aid PCNA reimbursed his dealer $4700.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I think the $10,000 number is nothing but an exaggeration and example of FUD. My guess is some dealer threw out those numbers to try to make an owner feel better about the repair. Who here has actually shelled out anywhere close to $10,000 for this?

Think about it… The parts required to do the job don’t amount to more than $1000 and assuming $200 an hour for labor, there’s absolutely no way that it’s going to take 45 hours of labor to do this. Perhaps half that. Anyone here ever remove an engine on a modern car? Yeah it’s it’s a big job but there’s no way an experienced tech is going to take a full week to do this.

How is it that Gleung604 said the job took 3 days? Jeanmarie97 was given a 4800 euro estimate? German88 said the PCNA warranty reimbursement is 20 hours. Big Nick was told $4000-$5000. TurboSwim aid PCNA reimbursed his dealer $4700.
Hope you are correct. I understand the dealers are getting the repair on these timing chain covers down to 2 days time, so I agree, the labor hours are maybe in a better place now. In my case, dealer is now saying a valve cover leak which is a much easier job. I’ll ask the SA about the cost of both repairs when I pick it up.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
The new Audi derived 2.9L V6 in the Macan 2020 GTS only has one air filter....I liked the look of the dual air filter setup on the 2018 Porsche 3.0L V6 better. I also noticed the additional two front side strut bar pieces are missing on the 2020 Macan GTS as well. Does anyone know if the Audi 2.9L V6 is a dry sump like the older Porsche 3.0L V6?

41 - 53 of 53 Posts