Porsche Macan Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Barely. Maybe 60/40

The transmission is an Audi DSG 501, confirmed with sourcing in the original German. It is not a ZF unit found in the sports cars.

" 70% of the car’s chassis is unique to the Porsche."

"Macan SUV, Porsche has adopted an Audiplatform, ... The front and rear suspension set-ups are also basically the same"

33% of parts shared with Audi

etc etc etc

Its only going to get worse with the electric Macans sharing the PPE platform.
So are you saying none of the SUVS are truly Porsches?
Like Roger said, if you’re gonna buy a Porsche...buy a “Porsche.” What would you recommend SUV wise?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
This was a big factor in why I chose the 2018 GTS instead of a newer S. Plus, I like that the GTS seems like it's always just a little bit angry. Friend bought a brand new S - still like mine better.
Leaning towards the 2018 GTS...still recommend?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
If you are paying for a Porsche, you should be getting a Porsche. Thankfully my 2014 Macan S is more Porsche than Audi. Having owned 3 Audi's, I would never buy one again, too many mechanical short cuts that spell trouble, they just don't last.
Couldn’t agree more. Considered an Audi in the past. They’re that unreliable?

·
Registered
62 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,472 Posts
It was only the 3.6L that was built by Porsche.
According to the link posted by grim, this was originally reported as the case, but it turned out to be incorrect. Both the 3.0 and 3.6 are proprietary Porsche, the development of which began before the Volkswagen Group and Porsche came together.

Intel: Porsche Macan, Component Similarities & Differences
Original Article

Corrected article

"we stand corrected. Just ahead of the NAIAS, we ran an intel story revealing that the 3.0-liter V6 biturbo of the Macan S shared the same block as the supercharged Audi 3.0 TFSI. ... According to DePetro, we our Porsche dealer side sources and thus our story were all unfortunately wrong."

AFAIK, the 3.0 is a Porsche engine, not an Audi engine.

So are you saying none of the SUVS are truly Porsches?
Like Roger said, if you’re gonna buy a Porsche...buy a “Porsche.”
I don't know what that means. What is "if you're gonna buy a Porsche ... buy a Porsche"? Here's the short answer. A "real" Porsche is anything Porsche AG says it is. Its not what anyone else says it is.

You can start by reading this thread. Porsche AG takes parts from all over the place and integrates them into a model. Here are some suppliers to the 992. Do you think that because Brembo supplies brake parts the Porsche brakes aren't Porsche? The PCM in the Macan is the same as the PCM is the 911. Does that mean the 911 isn't a "real 911" because it shares components with the Macan? Is there some specific bit of the car that "must" be made from scratch by Porsche factory workers to be called a "Porsche"? How about the chips? Does Porsche make chips? By any definition then, the only "real Porsches" are NA flat 6s. You see any flat 6 engines in any Macan? Macans don't sound like "real Porsches". They don't wail.

When Ford put a small block 289 in the Mercury Cougar was it the Brand Mercury or the Brand Ford? GM put Chevy engines in Oldsmobile, the upscale brand, and Olds engines in Cadillacs. This is a common practice. Were those Oldsmobiles and Cadillacs not Olds or Caddys? The 914/4 had a VW engine. The 924 had an Audi engine. It, and the 944 were built at an Audi plant. Does that mean the 944 was not a Porsche? The Cayenne was based on the VW Touareg.

I don't know where this "Its not a Porsche" comes from but I suspect its a misunderstanding of the brand. GM sharing engines with it various brands, conceptually today, is no different than VAG sharing engines across its brands. And Porsche is a brand of the VW AG umbrella. The collaborations above where when Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG actually built cars, although many times in collaboration with VW. That ended in 2007 and that company became Porsche SE. Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG , today, is one brand of many under the VW AG umbrella. Parts are shared across the brands. The Macan was built on an Audi platform. So the 95B.2 has Audi engines. So what? If its confusing now, and I can understand it is confusing, its about to get much more confusing as these engines will end soon with the electric platforms. The PPE is a shared platform. Announcement of joint venture. Just as the Macan was built on the Audi platform, so won't the electric Macan be on a shared Audi platform.

And now they are thinking of sharing the PPE platform outside of the VAG umbrella.

"Volkswagen AG is in talks with other manufacturers on sharing the key technology underpinning its future Porsche and Audi electric car models, part of an effort to build scale and spread development costs. ... Widmann declined to identify manufacturers who have shown interest in adopting the so-called PPE platform, which is being developed by Porsche and Audi as the basis for their purely battery-powered models starting in 2021."

Not a real Porsche? The only people who can tell you what a real Porsche is is Porsche AG, the brand.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Anyone remember the days of the Eagle Talon and the Mitsubishi Eclipse and I think there was one more. All essentially the same. Then there was the Chevy Monza and the Oldsmobile Starfire and again there was one more. They all shared the basic platform. And there was also the Mitsubishi GT3000 VR-4 and it's pal the Dodge Stealth. All chassis clones with different bodies.

Here we go again...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Leaning towards the 2018 GTS...still recommend?
Sorry for the slow reply - been on the road.

I do. It's the right car for me. I know others like the performance of the Turbo. But I just really like how the GTS drives. Even for daily driving, I mostly drive it lowered and in Sport Mode. I don't go to the track, just look for other opportunities to push it here and there and it never disappoints.

·
Registered
14 Posts
you bet.....when I had my A6 2.8 quattro, at 70,000km there was a knock in the steering rack. The dealer wanted $3,500 for a new rack. They ended up overhauling the original for $1,200. It came back with another knock in the rack. After 3 attempts to fix it they gave up and refunded me the $1,200........!!!!!
The next was an A4 Station waggon with that bloody CVT gearbox...they replaced the gearbox because it was not shifting correctly and the new gearbox did exactly the same thing.
The last Audi was an A5 sportback......apart from other problems, the DSG packed in at 90,000km. They wanted $7,000 to fix it. I complained vehemently and they did it for free. Then the steering rack started making noises, so I sold it and bought the Macan S.
Couldn’t agree more. Considered an Audi in the past. They’re that unreliable?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #30

I do. It's the right car for me. I know others like the performance of the Turbo. But I just really like how the GTS drives. Even for daily driving, I mostly drive it lowered and in Sport Mode. I don't go to the track, just look for other opportunities to push it here and there and it never disappoints.
Thats awesome. Seems like everyone loves the GTS for both daily drivers and tracks!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
you bet.....when I had my A6 2.8 quattro, at 70,000km there was a knock in the steering rack. The dealer wanted $3,500 for a new rack. They ended up overhauling the original for $1,200. It came back with another knock in the rack. After 3 attempts to fix it they gave up and refunded me the $1,200........!!!!!
The next was an A4 Station waggon with that bloody CVT gearbox...they replaced the gearbox because it was not shifting correctly and the new gearbox did exactly the same thing.
The last Audi was an A5 sportback......apart from other problems, the DSG packed in at 90,000km. They wanted $7,000 to fix it. I complained vehemently and they did it for free. Then the steering rack started making noises, so I sold it and bought the Macan S.

Yikes man! They look like amazing cars, but after what you just said, makes me think otherwise. Need something reliable!

·
Registered
100 Posts

We own both a GTS and a Turbo. Love them both, but the best set up seems to be an AS equipped Turbo with a lowering module which enables you to take the car even lower than the GTS for better handling, and with the more powerful engine. Best of all worlds, except perhaps for a PP (not easy to find) with a lowering module.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Yikes man! They look like amazing cars, but after what you just said, makes me think otherwise. Need something reliable!
You can't take one person's opinion/experience and conclude the entire brand is unreliable. Do your research if you are interested in a brand.

·
Registered
294 Posts
These are SUVs lol. Yes, they drive great - but are not track cars :)
Who says these are not track cars? If you check the right boxes on the options list like ceramic brakes, you are all set.

More than a few members here have tracked their Macans and totally enjoyed the experience (and Porsche sports car owners readily accepted their presence).

Sure these are not sports cars, but you can definitely have fun at the track with a properly equipped Macan.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Who says these are not track cars? If you check the right boxes on the options list like ceramic brakes, you are all set.

More than a few members here have tracked their Macans and totally enjoyed the experience (and Porsche sports car owners readily accepted their presence).

Sure these are not sports cars, but you can definitely have fun at the track with a properly equipped Macan.
You can track almost any vehicle you'd like...you can also put 700 horsepower in one like the Jeep Trackhawk, but an SUV is not meant to be a track car :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
"BMW M2 vs Porsche Macan Turbo"

"Porsche Macan Review on Track"

"I can personally attest to the hilarity factor of driving a crossover on the track. "

"...learning how to drive well is the best mod you can make to your car"

·
Registered
100 Posts
The last true 'Porsche' engine was the 2018 Macan Turbo 3.6L. After 2018, all Porsche Macan engines are Audi engines with different tuning aspects.
You really think if the 3.6 was assembled in a Porsche factory, and the 3.0 was assembled in an Audi factory, that is significant?

The 3.6 engine is merely a stroked version of the 3.0. A substantial number of the parts are identical. Seems like the marketing people tell them to use different parts numbers to try to make the customer think they are getting something upgraded. We saw them play this game with some of the parts on the Macan GTS. I have seen this again and again on my GT3, where a number of parts are interchangeable with the Carrera, but Porsche assigns a different part number and increases the price substantially.

Sure, the 3.6 engine is significantly superior, but it’s because of the extra stroke, not because of the factory it was assembled in.

There are a number of parts common to Volkswagen, Audi, and Porsche, but yet each of them use a different part number, and Audi’s price for the part is higher than Volkswagen’s, and Porsche’s price is higher than Audi’s. A good example of this is the hardware that is used to attach the engine bottom cover that is removed when changing the engine oil.

Porsche says the vast majority of the parts used on a Macan are different than the Q5. I don’t think they are lying, but if you crawl under your Macan, you will see plenty of parts with the Audi 4 rings stamped on them. Nothing wrong with that IMO. My primary concern is how well the car drives and functions. I could care less if some of the parts are sourced from Toyota.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Very clear you are in incorrect. I have in IN WRITING from both Porsche and Jeep.
I stand by my statement - an SUV is not meant to be a track car. Sure, their marketing material may mention track use, and they have put the type of suspension, transmission, and powerful engines to make them track capable.

My statement on SUVs:

1. Can you track them - yes, you can track almost any vehicle

2. Are they meant for the track - no. SUV's are the most popular vehicles in the US because they are practical utility vehicles. They are meant for daily drivers and grocery runs. Porsche entered this category likely because they needed a volume runner to help fund their R&D for their sports cars. The Macan is a Porsche - so of course they are going to make it very drivable (even track capable). But by definition, the SUV is not meant to be a track car.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts