Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heard some things about the 2019/2020 Porsche Macan engines being Audi engines.

Just wanted to get some clarification to see if they were ACTUALLY Audi engines, or they were/are SIMILAR to Audi engines, but still Porsche made.

* I really hope they stay Porsche made....

Thanks!

·
Registered
137 Posts
I think 19 or 20 was the change to Audi engine. The previous vehicles used the Audi block but otherwise Porsche designed components. Even then they were probably subtle changes to the Audi design/specifications.
It's a great engine, nothing to be sad about

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think 19 or 20 was the change to Audi engine. The previous vehicles used the Audi block but otherwise Porsche designed components. Even then they were probably subtle changes to the Audi design/specifications.
It's a great engine, nothing to be sad about
Yes absolutely. I'm sure it's still a great engine nonetheless. But still a little disappointed as Porsche is originally known for their engines and speed. That'st just my opinion. Thanks for the feedback though aftCG!

·
Registered
817 Posts
Of course I would always prefer an inline 6 to a V6. BMW max torque from 1380rpm, Audi max torque from 1900rpm !

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
The last true 'Porsche' engine was the 2018 Macan Turbo 3.6L. After 2018, all Porsche Macan engines are Audi engines with different tuning aspects.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
It was only the 3.6L that was built by Porsche.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Heard some things about the 2019/2020 Porsche Macan engines being Audi engines.

Just wanted to get some clarification to see if they were ACTUALLY Audi engines, or they were/are SIMILAR to Audi engines, but still Porsche made.

* I really hope they stay Porsche made....

Thanks!
If you are paying for a Porsche, you should be getting a Porsche. Thankfully my 2014 Macan S is more Porsche than Audi. Having owned 3 Audi's, I would never buy one again, too many mechanical short cuts that spell trouble, they just don't last.

·
Super Moderator
8,945 Posts
If you are paying for a Porsche, you should be getting a Porsche. Thankfully my 2014 Macan S is more Porsche than Audi.
Barely. Maybe 60/40

The transmission is an Audi DSG 501, confirmed with sourcing in the original German. It is not a ZF unit found in the sports cars.

" 70% of the car’s chassis is unique to the Porsche."

"Macan SUV, Porsche has adopted an Audiplatform, ... The front and rear suspension set-ups are also basically the same"

33% of parts shared with Audi

etc etc etc

Its only going to get worse with the electric Macans sharing the PPE platform.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts