Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
I am new here, first time venturing into Porsche ownership. I am from Victoria, Australia. I am contemplating purchase of S Diesel, 2015 model with less than 70000km on clock. I have always owned near new cars so bit scared taking the plunge. My concerns are
  • are there any major issues with the engine?
  • can I purchase warranty from the likes of Allianz or any other? Is it worth spending money on this considering its 4-5 year old car ad out of warranty?
  • I plan to use it for at least 4 years with roughly 20-25k a year. Is it a good move or sheer stupidity?
  • are there any independent service providers for Porsche or I have to take it to dealer for servicing? How much 60k service roughly costs?
I looked at SQ5 but don't like it inside and out. Looks bit outdated.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
8,810 Posts
Hi all
I am new here, first time venturing into Porsche ownership. I am from Victoria, Australia. I am contemplating purchase of S Diesel, 2015 model with less than 70000km on clock. I have always owned near new cars so bit scared taking the plunge. My concerns are
  • are there any major issues with the engine?
  • can I purchase warranty from the likes of Allianz or any other? Is it worth spending money on this considering its 4-5 year old car ad out of warranty?
  • I plan to use it for at least 4 years with roughly 20-25k a year. Is it a good move or sheer stupidity?
  • are there any independent service providers for Porsche or I have to take it to dealer for servicing? How much 60k service roughly costs?
I looked at SQ5 but don't like it inside and out. Looks bit outdated.

Thanks in advance.
In case you are wondering why no one answered yet it's because in the US the diesel was never a a choice. Even a lot of the guys in Australia opted for an ICE Macan . Then when the VW scandal broke the diesel became the elephant in the room . It slowly disappeared except in places where it pops up in the used market . Just so you know I did drive a Cayenne diesel many years ago and loved it but not enough to ever buy one . I know your prices are very high compared to the US . Hang in there .. someone is bound to answer you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I traded a 2016 built SD earlier this year with about 55000 kilometres on the clock

No engine issues, DPF or transfer box issues in my three years of ownership.

Its a good car especially if you are doing some highway driving. The diesel has plenty of torque and unbeatable range. It was part of the diesel gate scandal which does have an ongoing impact on demand but It was once a popular option in Australia and there are many to choose from second hand.

I was happy enough with it over the three years but because of diesel gate I am glad to have traded it.

Are you buying from a dealer or private. if Porsche approved by a dealer you will get 12 months warranty. If private or a non Porsche dealer you may want to check out if you can buy a warranty extension from Porsche Australia. There are details on the Porsche au webpage.

There will be independent shops for service in Melbourne. 60000 or 4 years is the major service and at a Sydney dealer could be over $1200. in your case this may have already been done as it is over 4 years old so it will be a minor or intermediate service. prices in Sydney at this link Porsche Centre Parramatta - Macan Service

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. It has full service history but coming up for 60k service. I am going for a test drive tomorrow. Anything in particular I should look out for? Also this independent dealer is offering warranty for 5 years for some 2.5k...is it worth considering or I should hunt this on my own?
Any thoughts on pre test drive checks would be much appreciated. thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi guys,
I asked this in other thread but didnt get a response. I am about to buy S Diesel 2016-17 model.
Can any one give me some names where I can get third party warranty?
I am not buying from a Porsche dealer so I assume I am not eligible for warranty from Porsche centre??
Thanks

·
Registered
213 Posts
You can get P warranty from PCA so long as it passes its test and you continue with its required servicing and no mods - out 9 years in total (but read the full details and requirements). You cannot get it from a non P dealer.
Don't know how good PCA is at paying out if you make a claim, but I know from bitter experience that Allianz will not pay on other (non MV) policies I have had with it. Having been in the industry for most of my working life, third party warranties have a poor reputation in Australia generally, but stress that I have no personal experience.
PCA is very, very poor at customer service and initially will push back on any issues, so be prepared to argue.
The online service costs sometimes do not include all items that are required eg: the 48mth/60k service is listed by PCA as $1750 BUT when you go to have it done you will be told of the mandatory PDK service for an extra $1k! (Just had these done by PCA).
Transfer box appears to be the main issue - I am up for my second one now at 45k.
Contact PCA and get the build sheet if you do not have it - so you know exactly what you are buying.
I suggest you have a pre-purchase done by PCA so they have some skin in the game.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2017 Macan S diesel and found no big/small issue. The only thing is short trip. From the dealership, they mentioned that the short trips will cause blockage in DPF filter (Diesel Particulate Filter) . So not good for doing school pick-up and drop-off

1 - 7 of 7 Posts