Porsche Macan Forum banner

Need help, lots of questions

1K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Opt1k 
#1 ·
Thank you in advance for opening this post!

My name is Dirk and I'm in the market for a 2017 or 2018 Macan S. Is one superior to another?

I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Is buying a CPO the only way to go? I found a clean car from a non Porsche dealership and it was sold several months ago from a Porsche dealership as a CPO car according to Carfax but then months later, ends up on this non Porsche dealership. Would the CPO warranty be transferrable? If not, should I run away from this car. It does have the remaining factory warranty on it.

I have tried to do my DD but any insight or advice would be greatly appreciated.

My quest is for my daughter who is off at college.

Thank you!

#2 ·
@Pantera, a few thoughts:

- It's my understanding (from the reading the forum for three-plus years -- no personal experience or other knowledge on this) that a CPO is available only when being sold by Porsche dealers, or, once CPOed, between private parties. Put the other way, I believe that a non-Porsche dealer cannot sell a Porsche as a CPO.

- There's a lot of discussion here on whether or not it's advisable to buy a P-car without some kind of warranty -- factory, factory+CPO, or just CPO -- in effect. That is, some of the potential problems can be pretty expensive to fix, if they occur.

You might want to use the Search Community box (or other search engine) to read some of these threads, using terms as CPO Buying or CPO Advisable or something along those lines. I can't find exactly what I'm looking for at the moment, but you might read Porsche Macan Forum and All About CPO Macans. for openers.

- In the realm of non-CPOs, an '18 might have up to a year or so left on a factory warranty.

- Your daughter is fortunate, but I question whether she needs an S, when she should be studying and sleeping most of the time (unless, perhaps, her graduation is imminent).

To that end, perhaps a better solution would be a brand new Base Macan. Very lightly equipped, and with a good discount negotiated (read some of this huge thread backwards -- List your discount! -- to get a feel for this), a Base may not be all that much more than what you've proposed to look at.

A new Base will come, obviously, with a full factory warranty, very nice handling, and a free 10,000 mile service. Additionally, it will not come with -- for quite some time, anyway -- the need for new brakes, or tires, or the next service requirement potentially around the corner.

Unfortunately, from my reading, California does not seem to be prime discount territory, and also seems to be a PITA state when it comes to registering cars bought out of state. Still, I'd give buying new a shot, if I were in your position. Perhaps you're able to travel for a purchase. Is the car to be registered in CA, or would it be registered elsewhere, if the college is out of state?

Another possibility, if you were to buy new and if the car's ETA is not immediate, is to spec out a car, order through some dealer elsewhere in the country, and have delivery at the LA PEC (for something like a $400 charge these days, I believe).

In any event, those are my thoughts. I'm a first-time P-car owner, as of three and a half years ago (and spec'ed an S, ordered it from an out-of-state dealer, and had it delivered to the Atlanta PEC), but I expect more experienced and more knowledgeable owners -- and I'm talking about you, @yrralis1, among others -- will chime in not too long from now.

#3 ·
Your area is not too bad with discounts . I have a friend in the general region who has bought many cars from Niello Porsche and has been happy with the price and treatment he received . The problem with the base car in terms of price is that it is the entry level and lowest MSRP Porsche in the entire fleet. With that being said a used or CPO base car will cost nearly as much as a new one . Generally the most expensive models are the best to look at on the used market and the entry level I would look at new cars with modest options .

I looked at Niello just for curiosity . They have two white base 2021 Macan priced at 61K . I looked at one the spec .. white/blacl/premium package Bose , 14 way seats .. nice . Surely adequate for a responsible college student .

Now production in general is tight overall with cars EVERYWHERE but dealerships do have base Macans . I even saw a few 2020 service loaners but again is too close to a new car IMO. 61K minus 5 percent (at least) places you in the 50's for a new car.

Lastly .. if someone came to me and said my budget is 40's . He could find a car . Its doable . The difference is that a young woman in college with a new car gets a service loaner and has a lot less worry with dealing with a shop repair . I look at a new car as having some peace of mind and with a base car the gap is very narrow .

Good luck.

Just an FYI -- Dealership markup on the car is 11 percent . In better times discounts really fluctuated but ranged between 3 -9 percent . I picked 5 percent as a guide . One might get better . One might not. It all depends on that dealership and the given day of the deal.

#4 ·
I so very much appreciate the replies for knowledge and help for me with purchasing a Macan S.

My daughter grew up with fast cars and the base isn't going to cut it. She drives a 2016 CLA45 but it's just not a good beach car and I want more metal around her and something heavier for trips back and forth from home to school.

I'll do some more research here on this forum, especially about CPO Macans

Porsche has come a long way since the days of my 1977 911S which I sold back in 1982.............. time for another one in the family

#5 ·
Apologies ,,, I thought you were looking at a base car . Its my error. The S becomes a totally different ball game and this is where it becomes very difficult . The S has been out since it was launched in 2014 (as a 15 car) . To further complicate matters is that there are two generations of cars , different engines and huge price disparity . I think it was @santastico who took his 2015 Macan S and built a 2021 with the same spec and it was like 15K more for the car with those options .

If you buy the older car as a CPO it is an older car overall. It has warranty but also has miles, age , and history ,

I thinks what @wspollack did and many others is they ordered the car because every option matters on price . With used and CPO cars one can find a 2015b Turbo with modest options priced the same as a 2018 Macan S with high options and more miles .Shopping can get crazy.

In essence what I am trying to say is be careful with shopping these cars . They all look pretty on the used car lot and its a big world with a first time buyer looking at them for a student to drive .

#6 ·
If you cannot find a CPO, look both here and Rennlist for an S for sale. You might get lucky.

#8 ·
Thank you in advance for opening this post!

My name is Dirk and I'm in the market for a 2017 or 2018 Macan S. Is one superior to another?

I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Is buying a CPO the only way to go? I found a clean car from a non Porsche dealership and it was sold several months ago from a Porsche dealership as a CPO car according to Carfax but then months later, ends up on this non Porsche dealership. Would the CPO warranty be transferrable? If not, should I run away from this car. It does have the remaining factory warranty on it.

I have tried to do my DD but any insight or advice would be greatly appreciated.

My quest is for my daughter who is off at college.

Thank you!

Please - there are many threads on buying used Macans in this forum. There are many discussions related
tp CPO and how it works.

SEARCH

And, because it seems most new forum members aren't reading the Terms of Service, be sure to read the posts
in the following thread:

Good luck!

#9 ·
cpo could either be purchased from porsche dealership or transferred from private party. non porsche dealerchip can't sell CPO as it's waived upon trade in. I would suggest to purchase CPO from dealership as that will give you extra 2 years + unlimited miles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.