Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, new around here but I figured this is the best place to get opinions about the Macan.

So currently I'm having trouble deciding between a Macan and a Model Y. Is it fair to cross-shop these/compare these? Maybe not but I really do want a good daily driver that can last me 7-10 years. The rough budget I've set for myself is ~50-60k (taxes/fees/all considered) so that leaves me with a few options.
1. Model Y Long Range
2. Macan Base (newer)
3. Older Macan S/GTS (2015-2017)

I've driven a new base Macan (2020) and a S (2015) and can definitely notice the difference between the two (newer feels smoother, more responsive, but definitely lacking punch above 50mph). I much prefer the technology/infotainment in the newer models but also really want the punch from the more powerful engines.

I've also driven the Model Y and although its no slouch, it doesn't feel/look as sporty as I would like. Aside from that, the technology offers an AMAZING daily driving experience from autopilot, one pedal driving, or just the car telling you the light's green.

I think my biggest concerns about getting a Macan revolves around longevity/true cost of ownership. (Yes I know what I'm signing up for this when considering owning a Porsche/any sporty German car). Could anyone provide some perspectives on what to expect (avg annually, insurance, repairs, gas, etc)? And for looking at older Macans, what should I look out for/avoid.

Not planning on changing cars often so this will be a somewhat big purchase decision for me. I don't mind passing on the Porsche now and joining the brand later when I'm more financial prepared to take on the costs.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Two very different classes of vehicle in my opinion. I found the interior quality and fit and finish of the Teslas to be lacking compared to Porsche.

Don't bother trying to compare insurance rates with anyone else. It is tremendously dependent on way too many factors such as location, garaged or not, age, driving history, credit score, etc. Call around for quotes.

Gas is of course dependent on how much you drive. I get 17-18mpg on my 2017 GTS.

For scheduled maintenance alone, unless you do the work yourself, be prepared to spend anywhere from $500-1000 for a minor service, and $1000-2000 for a major service (annual services, minor and major services on alternating years).

Don't forget about tires. Not sure what kind of tires the Model Y takes, but the sizes on the Macan are not the cheapest.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Can't really compare because they are apple and oranges. If you are getting the Macan, get the latest model that you can afford.
  1. Good daily driver - Macan > Model Y
  2. Infotainment - Model Y > Macan
  3. For 7-10 yrs - none on the list
  4. Reasonable cost of ownership - Not a Porsche

·
Registered
166 Posts
The tech on the tesla is going to kill the macan, even more so the older one's.

Questions on the tesla would be what's your daily commute, where're you gonna charge and the biggie would be if planning keeping for up to 10 years, in Aus at least batteries only warrantied for ~8 years i'd imagine replacements would be fairly costly if even possible

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
I know my sister in law did a side by side comparison and the Tesla won based on maintenance, Tech and gas savings. What they don’t like is the loud wind noise in the Tesla. Personally I would miss the engine growl. Good luck. Dave T.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I have owned a Cayenne, 2 Macans and 3 Tesla’s (2 S’s and a Roadster).
Loved all of them. When I bought my current GTS I considered Y. Here are some thoughts:

1. I loved my S’s but couldn’t connect with the minimalist interior of the Y
2. I love the electric power train
3. The interior fit and finish on the Porsche is the best there is, IMHO
4. Macan is more of a driver’s car. Y is a great commuter
5. The tech is always going to be better in the Tesla
6. I do like the tech in the current Macan- big improvement over my 2018

Not sure if any of that is helpful though! ;)

Bottom line, I am really happy with my 2021 GTS....but curious to drive the new Taycan Sport Turismo at some point!

·
Registered
2017 Macan GTS
278 Posts
  • Porsche vs Tesla
  • An suv (S and GTS) that handles, feels, and sounds like Porsche with Porsche DNA. A little tuning (as low as $1200) will reward you with even more power should you need it.
  • A topnotch service experience (YMMV), compared to Tesla’s. Your overall ownership experience can be as good/as bad as your service experience. I’m lucky to have a great Porsche service advisor and team nearby.
  • Great forum with very helpful members.

Love my GTS. It is like jekyll and hyde in a crossover disguise!

What I mean by that is if you feel like driving it (GTS) like in non sporty mode, just turn off Sport/Sport+, Disengage lowered mode and she’ll drive just as sluggishly with obvious delayed throttle response when needed. When you get bored, turn her into a monster: Sport+ engaged, Lowered mode engage, manual shift mode, heavy foot on the gas pedal , and shift the PDK as you desire. Brings me smile each time I hear the pops burble of the exhaust!!!

You can make the S and GTS sing happy exhaust notes with the PDK. Can the Y do that?

Reactions: Opt1k

·
Registered
139 Posts
My brother-in-law purchased a Macan S, new, in 2015 which he ran for five years ~55k miles before selling it to buy a Model Y Performance. First, he’s typically 3-4 years and out always buying new cars. That he ran the Macan for five years says a lot. Reasons he sold is he wanted a new car and maintenance, all routine in this case, was creeping up. In the last year of his ownership he spent $5k - all new tires, new brake pads, rotors, PDK service, oil change, brake fluid change. That was it.

So he moved to a Model Y performance. Dimensionally, the two cars are very similar inside and out. Typical Tesla build quality issues with misaligned panels (he had an early build Y that he’s now had a year) and he loves the new center panel/touchscreen interface to run everything. What does he miss? Mostly the rumble on starting up the Macan. The handling is similar, acceleration better on the Y (but he never pushed his Macan) and the paint in blue is pretty sharp, the Macan is white. Also interior fit/finish/feel is better on the Porsche but now no real maintenance and no gas stations. A year in he seems pretty happy.

...but he still wistfully asks after the Macan every time we roll up. Oh, I bought it from him rather than see him trade it in for peanuts when dealer auctions were shut down last spring. I’m trying to do my own maintenance as much as possible, replaced the engine air filters and did my first oil change in decades last Fall, which helps keep maintenance costs down. I’ll do the plugs myself this spring when the weather warms up saving another $500 or so.

So if you can do some DIY, or are willing to get a basic socket set and watch a youtube video or two, then barring big items failing - which can happen with any German car - the Macan, even used, is a very nice ride. I don’t think you can go wrong either way, but the only similarity between the Macan and the Y is they are both compact SUV’s with four wheel drive.

·
Registered
139 Posts
oh, while opinions vary I’d avoid the air suspension on any used car, particularly a German car. Inevitably they fail and can be quite expensive to repair blowing your total cost of ownership to another level. You can hedge off some of the risk with an extended warranty, but a 5 year warranty for around $5k means you’ve just added $1k/year to your carrying costs on top of maintenance. Unless you believe there is a 50% chance you’ll have warranty repairs exceeding $10k then it make no sense to get one.

PS if you believe you’ll have a 50% chance of more than $10k in repairs, outside of maintenance, in five years I’d suggest buying a different car.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I think you can safely rule out the older 2015 - 2106 Macans from this comparison. You can get a nicely equipped 2018 Macan GTS for $60K with CPO warranty if you look long enough. They are starting to come off lease now, so prices should start to moderate. The Porsche is a driver's vehicle. The Tesla is a commuter car. The Porsche is all about the drive. I went out this morning in my 2018 Cayman GTS to grab bagels. The bagel place is about 5 miles from my house. I drove 20 miles to get to the bagel place. The Tesla is about getting from point A to point B as economically and comfortably as possible. If you don't get what a Porsche is all about, then buy the Tesla. It will save you money and aggravation in the long run, and is a much more modern vehicle.

·
Premium Member
6,968 Posts
Did Elon fix the Model Y quality issues? Last time I heard the Y was a subpar car. I wouldn’t buy any car with apparen quality problems.

Why compromise when you spend $50k on a car? A Honda costs $20-30k and drives quite well.

Reactions: andy__vee

·
Registered
830 Posts
The handling is similar
With all due respect, Model Y weights 5300 pounds and drives like an iron. It is possible that handling is similar cruising on a highway but you can feel every bit of that weight in tesla during spirited driving.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I think you can safely rule out the older 2015 - 2106 Macans from this comparison. You can get a nicely equipped 2018 Macan GTS for $60K with CPO warranty if you look long enough. They are starting to come off lease now, so prices should start to moderate. The Porsche is a driver's vehicle. The Tesla is a commuter car. The Porsche is all about the drive. I went out this morning in my 2018 Cayman GTS to grab bagels. The bagel place is about 5 miles from my house. I drove 20 miles to get to the bagel place. The Tesla is about getting from point A to point B as economically and comfortably as possible. If you don't get what a Porsche is all about, then buy the Tesla. It will save you money and aggravation in the long run, and is a much more modern vehicle.
When I pull into my driveway I always have second thoughts: "Maybe another circle?" :unsure:

·
Premium Member
6,968 Posts
The Model Y is heavier but its COG is also lower.

·
Super Moderator
3,325 Posts
With all due respect, Model Y weights 5300 pounds and drives like an iron. It is possible that handling is similar cruising on a highway but you can feel every bit of that weight in tesla during spirited driving.
Wow!

...and I thought the Macan was a porker... 🐷🐖🐽

·
Registered
830 Posts
Wow!

...and I thought the Macan was a porker... 🐷🐖🐽
Yep, you can definitely feel that weight during spirited driving. But Model Y is just on another level with 1300 extra pounds. It's just a fat pig.

When I heard that Model Y is now like 48k I went and configured it - after making it AWD, a bit more performance and autopilot it became 70k, which is a price of Macan GTS. The only way to buy Model Y for the price of Macan GTS is by not visiting Porsche dealership.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all the replies! Hearing some similar points being echoed so maybe some extra context will help.

1. With COVID, I only really drive nowadays to run errands/pick up food but we're in the Seattle area and definitely want to get out and do more outdoor activities offered in the area (driving out to mountains for skiing, taking our bikes to trails). But when things get back to normal, my commute is about 13 miles each way (20-35 mins depending on traffic). I expect <12k miles/year.
2. I really didn't get what Porsches were about until I did one of those Driving Experiences where I drove a 911 Carrera S, a Porsche has become my "attainable" dream car. (I'm fairly young, mid twenties in tech)
3. I wouldn't consider myself a driving enthusiast but I'm eager to learn more

I love the rumble of the Macan, its interior/looks (a little on small side but manageable), and prestige. Not going to lie, I actually hate the thought of having a Tesla that's growing increasingly more popular and not-unique (seen some videos of people mistaking another car for theirs 😂)

Here's what I'm having an internal conflict about (and maybe some of the more experienced folks can chime in on this). Assuming I keep this car for a while, what will I regret more?
A) Getting the Porsche and dreading a few years in about not having the quality of life features in the Tesla. Electric revolution happening at a relatively fast pace
B) Getting the Tesla and living with a car for a LONG time that I may not love as much, regretting not getting to experience a great driver's car

Almost wish they just came out with the Macan EV already, I'm looking to get a new car in about 3 months. Maybe I should just get the Tesla for the long run and grab a 718/911 later on haha

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks for all the replies! Hearing some similar points being echoed so maybe some extra context will help.

1. With COVID, I only really drive nowadays to run errands/pick up food but we're in the Seattle area and definitely want to get out and do more outdoor activities offered in the area (driving out to mountains for skiing, taking our bikes to trails). But when things get back to normal, my commute is about 13 miles each way (20-35 mins depending on traffic). I expect <12k miles/year.
2. I really didn't get what Porsches were about until I did one of those Driving Experiences where I drove a 911 Carrera S, a Porsche has become my "attainable" dream car. (I'm fairly young, mid twenties in tech)
3. I wouldn't consider myself a driving enthusiast but I'm eager to learn more

I love the rumble of the Macan, its interior/looks (a little on small side but manageable), and prestige. Not going to lie, I actually hate the thought of having a Tesla that's growing increasingly more popular and not-unique (seen some videos of people mistaking another car for theirs 😂)

Here's what I'm having an internal conflict about (and maybe some of the more experienced folks can chime in on this). Assuming I keep this car for a while, what will I regret more?
A) Getting the Porsche and dreading a few years in about not having the quality of life features in the Tesla. Electric revolution happening at a relatively fast pace
B) Getting the Tesla and living with a car for a LONG time that I may not love as much, regretting not getting to experience a great driver's car

Almost wish they just came out with the Macan EV already, I'm looking to get a new car in about 3 months. Maybe I should just get the Tesla for the long run and grab a 718/911 later on haha
This seems to be the most sensible option.

1 - 20 of 130 Posts