Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I picked up a CPO 2016 Macan S back in January, it mostly has been great, but I quickly noticed how inconsistent the experience is, which led me to research the car here, and after reading about transfer case issues, it clicked that this is extremely likely the source of my issues. Problem is when i took it in for service, I was told they did not experience any significant issues with the TC yet, and sent on my way to come back when its worse. Here are my symptoms I notice sporadically.

Pretty much all the time - I hear an odd shushing/scraping noise from under the car when and after it shifts, most notable when going uphill.
Pretty much all the time - Lumpy Deceleration, like I have warped brakes (i don't), as the car downshifts.
Often - Inconsistent/lurchy pulling into the garage, and into/out of parking places with idle.
Sometimes - The car has an extra clunk after shifting into second, where the rev's will rise before the car reacts much with a thump and go.
Sporadic - Lack of response most notable when taking off after a stop and turning, where the car will start to go with a good throttle prod, but will not take off until halfway through the turn and I've got to back way off the throttle.
I've noticed that putting the car in "off road" mode turns it into an entirely different car off the line, i suspect because the TC ratio is set, rather than it thinking clumsily for itself.

All of these symptoms admittedly are usually pretty subtle, and I get why they don't want to tear the car apart for it, but I only have 9 months of warranty left, and I intend to keep this for a long time. I believe these match up with the later in life (63K miles) slipping type of failures, rather than the more obvious overly grabby failure, which I experienced for the first time last week when we had a 100 degree burst of heat, the TC seemed to fail the way the dealer wants to experience, where I felt a vibration through my pedal, low speed turning was difficult like when driving an old 4wd with the diffs locked, a fraction of the usual power, and the extra clunk was an obvious slip/slam. Next day and since its back to the subtle symptoms only.

Any suspicions of this being anything else than the TC? Or does anyone have advice for demonstrating this to the SA? I don't want to keep driving this until its super obvious and the rest of my drive-train has all been stressed unnecessarily as it heads out of warranty.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I can say that my dealer has a test for the xfer case problem. They negate anything else by switching things involved with the transfer case off and on. Took them 30 min to confirm. Ask your dealer how they the test for it. I never heard a scraping sound. My problem was a bump(s) I could feel, just noticable at speeds under 30 mph while accelerating from a stop, slow, or fast.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I just took my car in for the oil leak repair and 30,000 mile service. I also told the SA I felt a slight "shudder" when backing up, that I thought it might be the TC. Was replaced under warranty no questions asked (the tech did test the car and confirmed TC needed replacement in his report).

My advise is go to a different Dealer. My TC was changed without question. No reason why they should be giving you a hard time.

·
Registered
91 Posts
If the symptoms are not 100% clear what they do is disconnect the plug to the T case actuator, and go for a drive, if drives perfect they confirm the diagnostic, that's the easiest way to do it.
Of course after that if they don't repair the car right away they have to clear the codes before returning it to the customer.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
As I stated in another thread, my SM said he has an appointment line for Macan TC's only. Said he had a big pile in the rear of the shop he wanted to show me. I declined.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Seriously, ask to go for a ride with the shop lead technician! Show him. Let him feel it. Then let him drive it and see if he lies to your face. If that fails, ask to speak with the GM. If that doesn't work, drive to another agency.

·
Premium Member
3,818 Posts
If you have another dealership within a reasonable driving distance, consider getting a second opinion.

You can also contact Porsche NA and open a complaint ticket with them.

There have been a few reports of members changing the transfer case oil, and having their issues resolved.....at least for the time being.

Best of luck with your path forward.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I picked up a CPO 2016 Macan S back in January, it mostly has been great, but I quickly noticed how inconsistent the experience is, which led me to research the car here, and after reading about transfer case issues, it clicked that this is extremely likely the source of my issues. Problem is when i took it in for service, I was told they did not experience any significant issues with the TC yet, and sent on my way to come back when its worse. Here are my symptoms I notice sporadically.

Pretty much all the time - I hear an odd shushing/scraping noise from under the car when and after it shifts, most notable when going uphill.
Pretty much all the time - Lumpy Deceleration, like I have warped brakes (i don't), as the car downshifts.
Often - Inconsistent/lurchy pulling into the garage, and into/out of parking places with idle.
Sometimes - The car has an extra clunk after shifting into second, where the rev's will rise before the car reacts much with a thump and go.
Sporadic - Lack of response most notable when taking off after a stop and turning, where the car will start to go with a good throttle prod, but will not take off until halfway through the turn and I've got to back way off the throttle.
I've noticed that putting the car in "off road" mode turns it into an entirely different car off the line, i suspect because the TC ratio is set, rather than it thinking clumsily for itself.

All of these symptoms admittedly are usually pretty subtle, and I get why they don't want to tear the car apart for it, but I only have 9 months of warranty left, and I intend to keep this for a long time. I believe these match up with the later in life (63K miles) slipping type of failures, rather than the more obvious overly grabby failure, which I experienced for the first time last week when we had a 100 degree burst of heat, the TC seemed to fail the way the dealer wants to experience, where I felt a vibration through my pedal, low speed turning was difficult like when driving an old 4wd with the diffs locked, a fraction of the usual power, and the extra clunk was an obvious slip/slam. Next day and since its back to the subtle symptoms only.

Any suspicions of this being anything else than the TC? Or does anyone have advice for demonstrating this to the SA? I don't want to keep driving this until its super obvious and the rest of my drive-train has all been stressed unnecessarily as it heads out of warranty.
I had the same problem when backing up. Macan seems to have problems with transfer case. Porsche end up getting the repairs done.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Feel your pain. Had a 2016 CPO S. TC failed right after I got it (Oct 2018). Failed again (Jan 2020). Dealer giving run around like yours on second replacement - did not want to do it. Car was coming off CPO and traded it. Do I miss it? Not really. I think CPO is a bit of a game with some dealers. They certify a car that has problems and when the car is brought back for repairs - $$ for repairs..... I will never buy another one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
741 Posts
My dealer caught mine when I brought her in for the 20K service. The service manager called me about 30 minutes after I dropped the car off and he told me that he had bad news and good news. Bad news was that I had a bad transfer case, and the good news was that it was covered under warranty (I wanted to say no kidding but didn't). He said that he noticed it right off the bat when he was pulling it out of the welcome bay to take it to the garage.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts