Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who has a recommendation or tips on a locking hitch pin that won't corrode. I use a locking hitch pin for: my tow ball, my Bully Step. Even though they advertise all these products as "anti-corrosive", they still all corrode that i've seen.

My most recent on is this one: https://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-2866DAT-Receivers-Trailer/dp/B0009V1WS4/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=masterlock+hitch+lock&qid=1589667806&sr=8-6

It's corroded so bad i can't even turn the key. The key will snap before i can get it to budge. I've sprayed WD40 in there and its not working. Any Tips? I'm about to take a cutoff wheel to cut it off and replace it.

What hitch pin locks do you recommend?

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Who has a recommendation or tips on a locking hitch pin that won't corrode. I use a locking hitch pin for: my tow ball, my Bully Step. Even though they advertise all these products as "anti-corrosive", they still all corrode that i've seen.

My most recent on is this one: https://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-2866DAT-Receivers-Trailer/dp/B0009V1WS4/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=masterlock+hitch+lock&qid=1589667806&sr=8-6

It's corroded so bad i can't even turn the key. The key will snap before i can get it to budge. I've sprayed WD40 in there and its not working. Any Tips? I'm about to take a cutoff wheel to cut it off and replace it.

What hitch pin locks do you recommend?
I take the tow ball/extension off between uses. So I get along with just a clip to the pin because I leave it in the garage. What I found useful for the ski box lock was in addition to WD-40 I carry a smallish propane torch. The combination gets the lock to turn with the key.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I take the tow ball/extension off between uses. So I get along with just a clip to the pin because I leave it in the garage. What I found useful for the ski box lock was in addition to WD-40 I carry a smallish propane torch. The combination gets the lock to turn with the key.
Its mostly that i keep my Bully step on 24/7, and i park outside. I also live in NYC, where a pin and clip will result in a lost Bully step any time.

If i were to get a new hitch lock, will submersing the lock in silicone grease or WD40 coat all the insides of of the cylinder so that it won't corrode in the future? There doesn't seem to be an All Stainless Steel hitch on the market, its all bad advertising.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
" I also live in NYC, where a pin and clip will result in a lost Bully step any time." What about the wheels or what about the car? You actually park on the street? You are a much braver person than I am. I live out in the PNW where there are still original native Americans hiding behind the trees. Fortunately, they are not so good at stealing Macans, but I keep mine in a garage social distancing it from that opportunity.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
" I also live in NYC, where a pin and clip will result in a lost Bully step any time." What about the wheels or what about the car? You actually park on the street? You are a much braver person than I am. I live out in the PNW where there are still original native Americans hiding behind the trees. Fortunately, they are not so good at stealing Macans, but I keep mine in a garage social distancing it from that opportunity.
when home, car is parked outside, but behind to garage doors in a private area. The macan has an included wheel lock, and to my knowledge, there are no aftermarket wheel locks that work for the Macan (i used to use Gorilla for my other cars). When i go out, yes i do my due dilligence and find a safe spot to park in depending on where i am and how long i'll be parked there. I'm probably equally or more anal as you in terms of protecting my cars from other idiot drivers hitting it while parking. My wife hates me for it and we've fought for 3 years since i've had the car and i've won the argument every time. I just absolutely will not park in an unsafe spot.

A Macan is very hard to steal, with very harsh penalties. Same as wheels, as the risk/reward isn't as high due to lack of street demand for macan wheels.

But to secure my $50 Bully step, i'm looking for a hitch lock that doesn't corrode. it can take literally any person 2 seconds to pill a clip + pin to steal the Bully step.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
when home, car is parked outside, but behind to garage doors in a private area. The macan has an included wheel lock, and to my knowledge, there are no aftermarket wheel locks that work for the Macan (i used to use Gorilla for my other cars). When i go out, yes i do my due dilligence and find a safe spot to park in depending on where i am and how long i'll be parked there. I'm probably equally or more anal as you in terms of protecting my cars from other idiot drivers hitting it while parking. My wife hates me for it and we've fought for 3 years since i've had the car and i've won the argument every time. I just absolutely will not park in an unsafe spot.

A Macan is very hard to steal, with very harsh penalties. Same as wheels, as the risk/reward isn't as high due to lack of street demand for macan wheels.

But to secure my $50 Bully step, i'm looking for a hitch lock that doesn't corrode. it can take literally any person 2 seconds to pill a clip + pin to steal the Bully step.
Back in time my DD for 9.5 years was a 308 GTS Ferrari. I would drop the lady at the door and then head to the very back end of the parking lot. Sure enough, when I would come back to the car I would find two things. One was a car parked right next to mine and the other was no tire caps. Eventually I went to JC Whitney and bought them by the dozen.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Back in time my DD for 9.5 years was a 308 GTS Ferrari. I would drop the lady at the door and then head to the very back end of the parking lot. Sure enough, when I would come back to the car I would find two things. One was a car parked right next to mine and the other was no tire caps. Eventually I went to JC Whitney and bought them by the dozen.
Yep i'd also drop her off then find some moron parked next to me a mile away at the end of the parking lot.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Why do they do that? Maybe they hope the cars will breed?
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: thats original!!

yea maybe they park their 400k corolla there in hopes to make a hybrid porsche baby.

anyway, tomorrow i'm bringing in my car for a "free oil change" and "free detail" from my local dealership due to very bad service from my last visit there. I wonder if anything free is ever worth my while... You think there's any chance they'll cheap out on the oil change in anyway if they could?

also, about the corroded hitch lock, i'll be cutting it off and getting a new lock. Theres no high quality corrosion proof all-stainless locks on the market even if i was willing to pay for it. The body is advertised as stainless, but its always the lock cyclinder thats bound to get water in it and corrodes.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've had one of these on my Tacoma for the last 2 years and, so far, no rust. There's a cap to keep water out of the lock. Bought one and installed it on my Macan when I picked it up in March.
CURT 23518 Black Trailer Hitch Lock, 5/8-Inch Pin Diameter, Fits 2-Inch Receiver View attachment 231258
Interesting... i wonder what makes this different than the "Masterlock hitch lock" i had. Do you leave your lock on all year round? do you live in a dry or wet environment? I live in Snowy, dirty, wet, NYC.
I dont see how this Curt lock for $15 would be any diff in terms of the lock cylinder corroding than any other...

·
Registered
31 Posts
The lock stays on the truck all year. Keeps the red beavertail in the hitch secure. I live in MD so similar weather to NYC. I found that pushing some clear silicone grease into the cylinder with the key and keeping the cap on works well to keep them functioning. Still, I would replace every 3 or 4 years to avoid them seizing up. I couldn't locate a good "made in USA lock". They're all Chinese made.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The lock stays on the truck all year. Keeps the red beavertail in the hitch secure. I live in MD so similar weather to NYC. I found that pushing some clear silicone grease into the cylinder with the key and keeping the cap on works well to keep them functioning. Still, I would replace every 3 or 4 years to avoid them seizing up. I couldn't locate a good "made in USA lock". They're all Chinese made.
I found these made in USA - will probably get one of them once i dremel off my seized masterlock:

I watched an amazing youtube video of a guy testing lock cylinders in wet, dirt, heat, and this won out in keeping the lock smooth.

·
Registered
31 Posts
They look good! By the way, I removed a seized hitch pin from my old X5 by hitting the lock section with a hammer. Shattered the cylinder and the pin slid out.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Try a West Marine (boating supplies) store or a similar store. I would think that boaters who tow boats with their vehicles would have some pretty rust resistant locks on their vehicles. Worth a look.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Try a West Marine (boating supplies) store or a similar store. I would think that boaters who tow boats with their vehicles would have some pretty rust resistant locks on their vehicles. Worth a look.
So that being a great idea I went there to see what they had. Ugh! I'm beginning to think that a twelve gauge mounted under the hitch connected with a trip wire would do the job.
West Marine

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So if I was the bad guy that is all I would need to do to remove the hitch extension/ball? This doesn't bode well for its purpose.
yea i'm not too surprised. depends on the type of lock, quality, and corrosion though. if its all corroded and old and a poorly made lock, a hammer may break it. crowbars can also break them.

Its all about the cost / benefit, the lock is only on there to prevent my $30 (now, worth maybe $5, scratched and used for 3 years) bully step from amazon.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
yea i'm not too surprised. depends on the type of lock, quality, and corrosion though. if its all corroded and old and a poorly made lock, a hammer may break it. crowbars can also break them.

Its all about the cost / benefit, the lock is only on there to prevent my $30 (now, worth maybe $5, scratched and used for 3 years) bully step from amazon.
So now I'm thinking maybe just run an unlocked pin. Then when you park pull the bully step out and toss it into the trunk? Scary area you live in but this is a possibility. Out here where live I only have to deal with prisoners released because they MIGHT catch Covid-19. These folks would remove the bully step, put it down and take the car.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My grandfather used to say locks are for honest people. I use the hitch lock to simply keep kids or the opportunist from stealing the beavertail out of the hitch receiver when I'm parked at Home Depot or the mall.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts