Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whelp, got my first sticker shock from the dealer. I came into the Porsche fold knowing eventually it would happen. So far they have been pretty competitive on floor mats, cabin filter, oil changes, etc..... so I didn't think twice to just have them order the spark plugs for the 30,000 mile change.

Dealer Price $180
SuncoastParts w/ shipping: $120

Learned my lesson. 2.2hrs at standard shop rate would have brought the total to $476. I can partially see the time, and I think its a fair estimate from the shop..... but this is where I just start doing my own maintenance. And at 30k mile intervals, this one will save a lot.

Ill put together a spark plug DIY thread for you guys. The access is pretty straight forward. Coolant reservoir will need to be detached for working room. And the anti-torsion link on the top passenger rear of the engine might need to be unbolted to swing out of the way..... but it looks like a job anyone can do.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Please tell me this plug replacement was elective maintenance, and not compulsory with the 30k service!

·
Registered
421 Posts
I think it is all a matter of priorities. In my "older" age, I have no problem paying a Porsche mechanic to do the required maintenance. If their prices seem unreasonably high, I'll look for another dealer to take it to. My days of crawling under Volkswagens are long gone.

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
I think it is all a matter of priorities. In my "older" age, I have no problem paying a Porsche mechanic to do the required maintenance. If their prices seem unreasonably high, I'll look for another dealer to take it to. My days of crawling under Volkswagens are long gone.

Plus One ;)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
5,536 Posts
For turbo engines, the 30k miles spark plug change is standard. I guess if you do it a little late, like at 40k miles, it probably won't hurt the engine, but the performance may suffer.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Please tell me this plug replacement was elective maintenance, and not compulsory with the 30k service!
For turbo engines, the 30k miles spark plug change is standard. I guess if you do it a little late, like at 40k miles, it probably won't hurt the engine, but the performance may suffer.
It's in the maintenance list for 30k. Not sure if it -needs- it, but currently at 27k miles and the car is in at the dealership for a misfire. Another reason I want to hold off on the plugs.....is if they end up changing them out under warranty to try and correct the misfire problem.

Ill take photos when I change them out so people can see the condition. I highly doubt they need to be changed.... but won't know until I do it.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I thought plugs were good for a 100K these days wow then again I haven't put 30K on a car in the last 30 yrs lol

·
Registered
903 Posts
@TripleZ Even if they swap the plugs they won't be under warranty because they are a consumable item. You might get lucky and get the labor for free but I doubt it.

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
I thought plugs were good for a 100K these days wow then again I haven't put 30K on a car in the last 30 yrs lol

EJ , they can last up to 10 years and that's the good news . The bad news is one can't drive the car for 10 years :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Only reason I'd expect the plugs to be covered is if a coil is bad. That can foul out a plug and require it to be changed before normal. Otherwise, yes, they are consumables similar to brake pads.

I would be very disappointed though if it's solely the plugs. That would mean a 30k mile plug interval is being optimistic.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Only reason I'd expect the plugs to be covered is if a coil is bad. That can foul out a plug and require it to be changed before normal. Otherwise, yes, they are consumables similar to brake pads.

I would be very disappointed though if it's solely the plugs. That would mean a 30k mile plug interval is being optimistic.
I concur. If they say it's just the plugs I would be asking a lot of other questions.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
30K miles or 4 years?! I've never heard of changing plugs based on time, always mileage. Never heard of plugs this expensive! ($100-152) So, "on sale" that is $17 per plug!

Suncoast Porsche Parts & Accessories Spark Plug Set

Still, $100-150 + some easy labor every 30K is not bad!

Look FW to the DIY with photos!

I could not find video with Macan but:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tz6up9cwvwU
I sure hope it is not like this. I thought would be access from top of engine with removal of a panel or 2. Simple.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
30K miles or 4 years?! I've never heard of changing plugs based on time, always mileage. Never heard of plugs this expensive! ($100-152) So, "on sale" that is $17 per plug!

Suncoast Porsche Parts & Accessories Spark Plug Set

Still, $100-150 + some easy labor every 30K is not bad!

Look FW to the DIY with photos!

I could not find video with Macan but:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tz6up9cwvwU
I sure hope it is not like this. I thought would be access from top of engine with removal of a panel or 2. Simple.
That's pennies in terms of Porsche dollars ;)

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Im nearing 50,000km... no issues... yet. I will change my plugs when I go for service though....I also need tires though as they are very bald... The entire car slides side to side on the 1/2 high rpm shift :) Even more fun in the rain (gotta be careful though)

·
Premium Member
5,536 Posts
So your summer tires lasted over 30k miles?

1 - 20 of 83 Posts