Porsche Macan Forum banner

How would you handle a manually adjusted steering column?

• Yes, I would cancel the order

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • No, I wouldn't cancel with no issues. Can live with manual steering column adjustments.

Votes: 14 22.2%
  • No, I wouldn't cancel, but don't like that the feature is missing

Votes: 39 61.9%
  • Maybe. Depends on other factors.

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • Other

Votes: 1 1.6%
21 - 40 of 2092 Posts

·
Registered
14,484 Posts
NYT article on the chip shortage. Good read: A Tiny Part’s Big Ripple: Global Chip Shortage Hobbles the Auto Industry

"Porsche warned dealers in the United States this month that customers might have to wait an extra 12 weeks to get their cars, because they lack a chip used to monitor tire pressure."

"Porsche has told U.S. dealers that for several months it won’t be able to deliver high-end seats in the Macan S.U.V. that can be adjusted 18 different ways, a popular upgrade. The necessary chips are unavailable."
I spoke to my dealership a few weeks ago and they told me the chip shortage was not the issue . They (Porsche) were having Covid problems . They were ahead of us in variants and behind us in vaccine rollout. A friend (VIP buyer) in another state confirmed a week later its a chip problem . I think its BOTH .
There is a huge question though .. he wanted too order a Cayenne GTS and could not get the PSCB brakes prior to that .

In short .. the real answer is it does not matter .. car production at Porsche is super tight. In my opinion it means its a sellers market (if you are holding a car wanting out) and a lot car shopping moment .

I did not and would not order a car .

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I actually like them more than the 14's . That flat 14 surface and extra electronics is hander on the back and shoulder area . 18's are by far the best and none are horrible .
18’s are only good if you can fit yourself comfortably on it. I tried many times and with heavy winter coats I could not find myself comfortable on the 18’s. My 14’s are fantastic and the lumbar support by pumping air in that area is a life saver if you have back pain.

·
Registered
14,484 Posts
18’s are only good if you can fit yourself comfortably on it. I tried many times and with heavy winter coats I could not find myself comfortable on the 18’s. My 14’s are fantastic and the lumbar support by pumping air in that area is a life saver if you have back pain.
I dont wear a winter coat but even long ago when I did as soon as the car warmed inside the coat came off . Although NYC may not have been as cold as where you live . It's been so long that I even went to cold weather . This year was monumental though . During the lockdown I know I had gained a few (which I now lost) so when it got cold here I was terrified that my pants (from last cold weather season) would not fit conformably . I didn't want to go to a store and didn't want to order pants online when I knew I would lose the pounds once the sedentary life tapered. So I tried everything to not even find out . Yep that's right .. a first for me .. one full year of shorts.

·
Registered
2021 Macan S
155 Posts
In the UK, the configurator is only allowing 8-way seats with no memory option.
I have visited two dealerships. The first one, a larger dealership would not order due to 14 way and 18 way chip issue. The second took my Macan S order for May with July delivery with the caveat that it may be delayed into August. On track for August delivery. Macan S with Premium Package Plus which includes the 14 way seats.

·
Registered
357 Posts
8-way and 18-way are the same seat on facelift model (MY2019+ or after) minus some adjustment from 18-way. For people prefer wider back support (less of bucket seat feel) around lumbar area, 14-way may work nicer. Facelift model 8-way seat is much improved without the tight lumbar area (pre-facelift model), and worked perfectly fine for many people.

It's best to test drive different seat configurations and see what worked best for you.

·
Registered
62 Posts
It's been reported in the press that due to the chip shortage and the impact it's having on vehicle manufacturing, some companies are either rationing their supplies or resorting to fitting analogue instruments in a bid to maintain production.
Has there been any news from Porsche whether they may look at the analogue option too?

·
Registered
2021 GTS Chalk PPP PTV+
65 Posts
Hi all - first post here. Been reading the forums for some time and thought I‘d jump in.

I have a GTS on order with 18-way seats that was supposed to enter production last week, but was told by the dealer that it slipped out by a month because of the chip shortage. According to him, the issue affects both 14 and 18 way seats and because of volume, impacts Macan and Cayennes more than other models. Coincidentally, he has a Cayenne on order for himself that was supposed to go in production at the same time and also got pushed out a month. Fingers crossed that it doesn’t push out any further...

And just saw this — my order fixed date coincides with the plant shutdown dates:

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
I’ve been sold on ‘18’s since I first placed my rump in one. I can make an ‘18 adjust to feel like any other multi-position seating offered. But I can’t make a 8-way seat feel like an ‘18..

·
Registered
2021 Macan S
50 Posts
Just received a note from my salesman that my June 3 PECLA delivery is going to be delayed due to a port hold on all vehicles due to, if I understand his brief note correctly, their lacking TPMS sensors due to a parts shortage. He said three weeks, and I have a note in to PECLA asking for an update which I'll serve up when it arrives.

·
Vendor
579 Posts
Wow, that's pretty frustrating, especially considering the fact that they could in theory throw just about any 433mhz TPMS in there and call it a day.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Wow, that's pretty frustrating, especially considering the fact that they could in theory throw just about any 433mhz TPMS in there and call it a day.
Could be related to the worldwide chip shortage. Maybe all vendors’ TPMS sensors are in short supply. Or maybe I’m starting a new rumor.

·
Registered
14,484 Posts
I have visited two dealerships. The first one, a larger dealership would not order due to 14 way and 18 way chip issue. The second took my Macan S order for May with July delivery with the caveat that it may be delayed into August.
August is nearly model year 2022 . Too long to wait . Pick something now . It may not have X, y or Z option or be. first choice seat or color but its a done deal . Its an SUV . If tis were something like a Gt3 I'd be more flexible but for an S ? It;s just top long.

21 - 40 of 2092 Posts