Porsche Macan Forum banner

How would you handle a manually adjusted steering column?

• Yes, I would cancel the order

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • No, I wouldn't cancel with no issues. Can live with manual steering column adjustments.

Votes: 14 22.2%
  • No, I wouldn't cancel, but don't like that the feature is missing

Votes: 39 61.9%
  • Maybe. Depends on other factors.

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • Other

Votes: 1 1.6%
2061 - 2080 of 2092 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
My macan has been ready and been waiting at port for a month now. Apparently the reason it’s not been shipped out yet is because they are waiting on the entire vessel to be loaded up. I am located in Ontario, Canada by the way.
It’s even more crazy that my brother was able to get his cayenne this week despite it being built at the same time as my macan.
It will be seven months since I placed order. Anyone else experiencing this problem?

·
Registered
14,484 Posts
My macan has been ready and been waiting at port for a month now. Apparently the reason it’s not been shipped out yet is because they are waiting on the entire vessel to be loaded up. I am located in Ontario, Canada by the way.
It’s even more crazy that my brother was able to get his cayenne this week despite it being built at the same time as my macan.
It will be seven months since I placed order. Anyone else experiencing this problem?
It takes usually about a month from the port but the truth is that it can vary . I have a friend whose Gt3 went to the wrong country and there was a moment that they could not find his car for a few days . It obviously took him longer . There also was that boat which caught fire that lost all those cars but disrupted all the other cars that were not loaded . I know another guy whose car got to him in three weeks . Estimate a month but don't freak out if it goes either direction.

·
Registered
21 Posts
It takes usually about a month from the port but the truth is that it can vary . I have a friend whose Gt3 went to the wrong country and there was a moment that they could not find his car for a few days . It obviously took him longer . There also was that boat which caught fire that lost all those cars but disrupted all the other cars that were not loaded . I know another guy whose car got to him in three weeks . Estimate a month but don't freak out if it goes either direction.
Appreciate the words. Just so eager to get my hands on the car.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I recieved a letter from Porsche Cars Aust this week advising me that the electric steering column retrofit would no longer be available to my MY21 GTS due to the ongoing parts shortage worldwide.

The vehicle functions associated with the electric adjustment (memory seat function) remain fully usable but the control unit data will require a software update which can be performed on a 'while I wait' basis.

Porsche will offer a $500 reimbursement representing the retail value of the electric function.
They will also offer a $1000 credit I can spend on servicing, lifestyle or Tequipment accessories.
Furthermore, they will also increase the warranty by 12 months giving me 4 years warranty from new.
This is on top of the free drivers/passenger window tint for the initial delay in receiving my car, 2 years free servicing as they also couldn't find a replacement 21" sport wheel to the one damaged on the transport vessel and settled for the 20" Spyder wheels instead.

This Macan is my first Porsche and I couldn't be more pleased with the treatment I've been given to date.
View attachment 258601

·
Registered
36 Posts
Although I joined this forum years ago, that was back when I was first trying to learn a bit about the Macan. I pretty much forgot about this forum until after I orderd my Macan in April 2022 with a scheduled delivery date next week. During the wait for the car (which seems to be taking forever) I rediscovered this forum and found it to be an incredible source of information. I have been in Macan's before and had a test drive in a 2021 Macan S. I was well aware of the electric adjustment of the steering column but was never advised by my sales rep that that feature would not be included in the car I ordered in April 2022. Long story short, I'm a bit disappointed the feature has been deleted but the price of the car has not adjusted. But I guess my real question is this, who on this forum really believes the cost of that unit is $500? The Porsche options list is one of the most expensive I've ever seen and if the electric adjustable steering column were listed as an option would it be $500? I seriously doubt it. I've heard nothing from Porsche NA or my sales rep regarding compensation for the lack of this feature but I do hope they are going to be fair and make a reasonable adjustment for this.

·
Registered
9 Posts
dUe To GlObAl ShOrTaGe...

You see this warning when you get to Build section of certain markets only.

So Porsche has found an excuse to remove power steering wheel adjustment in certain markets and save millions of dollars and then insult the customer by sending them a voucher for 200 euros or 500 dollars depending on the market.

Hmmm... Try Porsche of Middle East. No warning and you still get the power steering wheel adjustment. Why? Because Porsche **** well knows it can't survive the market in Dubai or similar cities where rich people aren't stupid to pay for a "luxury" car and adjust their steering wheel like they bought a hyundai accent.

Those of you who defend this despicable practice are suffering from Stockholm syndrome. If power adjustment was an extra option Porsche would charge over $2,000 for it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Although I joined this forum years ago, that was back when I was first trying to learn a bit about the Macan. I pretty much forgot about this forum until after I orderd my Macan in April 2022 with a scheduled delivery date next week. During the wait for the car (which seems to be taking forever) I rediscovered this forum and found it to be an incredible source of information. I have been in Macan's before and had a test drive in a 2021 Macan S. I was well aware of the electric adjustment of the steering column but was never advised by my sales rep that that feature would not be included in the car I ordered in April 2022. Long story short, I'm a bit disappointed the feature has been deleted but the price of the car has not adjusted. But I guess my real question is this, who on this forum really believes the cost of that unit is $500? The Porsche options list is one of the most expensive I've ever seen and if the electric adjustable steering column were listed as an option would it be $500? I seriously doubt it. I've heard nothing from Porsche NA or my sales rep regarding compensation for the lack of this feature but I do hope they are going to be fair and make a reasonable adjustment for this.
The best part is when you find out in regions where rich people aren't stupid, Porsche still comes with power steering wheel adjustment.

Check out Porsche Middle East website and you don't see the warning about cHiP sHoRtAgE that only first world people believe.

In regions like Dubai people would laugh at this and never buy a Porsche again.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
The best part is when you find out in regions where rich people aren't stupid,
If you need to populate your sample . . . let me know and I'll introduce you to some billionaires who may disappoint you. Frankly, it's not that they don't care . . . but, they seldom are even involved in buying their own cars. They simply tell someone what they want and it shows up. I got involved in an experience, with Stevie Nicks, once that always makes me smile when these conversations come up.

Little inside secret . . . they pretty well do the same thing with $89M G650s also . . . even when they buy two of them . . . they have no clue as to what panel it has in the cockpit. Once you get past color . . they are pretty well out of the deal. I'd wager that few of them even know, or care, if their steering wheel has power adjustment.

You're also going to be disappointed to know that few of those folks likely buy Macan . . . as my neighbor called the one he bought a "Porschifier" . . "If I hadn't of bought it my daughter would have wanted an expensive car".

The scary part . . . as folks are locking 2023 models is that we are still discussing 2021 deliveries . . is anyone still actually waiting on a 2021 or a 2022?

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you need to populate your sample . . . let me know and I'll introduce you to some billionaires who may disappoint you. Frankly, it's not that they don't care . . . but, they seldom are even involved in buying their own cars. They simply tell someone what they want and it shows up. I got involved in an experience, with Stevie Nicks, once that always makes me smile when these conversations come up.

Little inside secret . . . they pretty well do the same thing with $89M G650s also . . . even when they buy two of them . . . they have no clue as to what panel it has in the cockpit. Once you get past color . . they are pretty well out of the deal. I'd wager that few of them even know, or care, if their steering wheel has power adjustment.

You're also going to be disappointed to know that few of those folks likely buy Macan . . . as my neighbor called the one he bought a "Porschifier" . . "If I hadn't of bought it my daughter would have wanted an expensive car".

The scary part . . . as folks are locking 2023 models is that we are still discussing 2021 deliveries . . is anyone still actually waiting on a 2021 or a 2022?
What's your point?
Are you defending Porsche?
I wasn't talking about billionaires. If you make $400k a year, you're considered rich.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Are you defending Porsche?
Nope . . sold my Macan about the time all of this started . . . like you suggest, I've little tolerance and the problem is not going away for a bit.

When you started talking about Dubai and suggested that Porsche (Volkswagen AG) makes marketing decision based on the perceived wealth of the market . . . . that seemed like a bit of a fairy tale stretch. While the UAE is indeed the wealthiest market in the Middle East, it is a mere 26th worldwide. Dubai ranks down at 29th in terms of the world's wealthiest cities ( https://www.thenationalnews.com/bus...h-most-popular-city-for-worlds-ultra-wealthy/ )

The number of billionaires in Dubai increased by 2 last year . . . to 12 in 2021. They have a way to go to even be in the same league with the 614 billionaires in the USA. If Porsche were responding to what the wealthily would accept . . . they certainly erred on deleting the steering column in the USA, eh?

I recall, when I got out of school . . . dreaming of an $18,000 a year job . . . . . now most of our construction workers are in the $300 - $400K / Yr range.

But . . . you appear to be right . . . by golly . . the President assures me that $400,000 a year is "rich".

Well . . there ya go.

We do . . . indeed . . . live in interesting times.

At one time . . I dreamed of having my own jet . . . now all I want is an electric steering column.

:)

P.S. - As a point of reference Joe Biden's annual salary (not sure if he is keeping it or giving it back) is $400,000.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Nope . . sold my Macan about the time all of this started . . . like you suggest, I've little tolerance and the problem is not going away for a bit.

When you started talking about Dubai and suggested that Porsche (Volkswagen AG) makes marketing decision based on the perceived wealth of the market . . . . that seemed like a bit of a fairy tale stretch. While the UAE is indeed the wealthiest market in the Middle East, it is a mere 26th worldwide. Dubai ranks down at 29th in terms of the world's wealthiest cities ( Dubai ranks as 29th most popular city for world’s ultra-wealthy )

The number of billionaires in Dubai increased by 2 last year . . . to 12 in 2021. They have a way to go to even be in the same league with the 614 billionaires in the USA. If Porsche were responding to what the wealthily would accept . . . they certainly erred on deleting the steering column in the USA, eh?

I recall, when I got out of school . . . dreaming of an $18,000 a year job . . . . . now most of our construction workers are in the $300 - $400K / Yr range.

But . . . you appear to be right . . . by golly . . the President assures me that $400,000 a year is "rich".

Well . . there ya go.

We do . . . indeed . . . live in interesting times.

At one time . . I dreamed of having my own jet . . . now all I want is an electric steering column.

:)

P.S. - As a point of reference Joe Biden's annual salary (not sure if he is keeping it or giving it back) is $400,000.
Ok, I think you and I agree on a lot of thing. Just for the record, I never suggested Dubai was wealthier than anywhere else. if you read what I wrote again, you'll see that I was saying "rich people that aren't stupid"

And that is compared to rich ($400k+) people that ARE stupid to the extent that they're defending Porsche by justifying what Porsche does to its customers.

2061 - 2080 of 2092 Posts