Porsche Macan Forum banner

How would you handle a manually adjusted steering column?

• Yes, I would cancel the order

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • No, I wouldn't cancel with no issues. Can live with manual steering column adjustments.

Votes: 14 22.2%
  • No, I wouldn't cancel, but don't like that the feature is missing

Votes: 39 61.9%
  • Maybe. Depends on other factors.

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • Other

Votes: 1 1.6%
2041 - 2060 of 2072 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Just wanted to get others’ opinions on my current delivery issue and see if this is an experience well within norms.

I’m so excited for everyone on here who receives their 2022 MY cars! Unfortunately, my 2022 GTS has now been stuck at Emden port for the last 2 months.

The ordeal started in October last year when I placed my order for a delivery allocation in May 2022. By April it was clear that May would be unrealistic, the car hadn’t even been produced due to production delays caused by global events unfolding at the time.

The car then reached V300 status end of May, and it’s been sitting at Emden port ever since. My dealership in NJ has no handle on this. Zero visibility into shipment schedules, no proactive updates. After checking in earlier this week, my SA responded that “surprisingly and inexplicably” my car didn’t end up on the one boat that he thought it would be on, which left 3 days ago. He has no information when the next boat will leave, points out that the dealership was able to get 44 out of 125 cars that are waiting in Emden onto the last boat - but mine didn’t make the cut.

Is this normal? I get it, war-related production delays, global supply chain issues, and all that. What I just can’t figure out is how the dealership has zero visibility into the delivery process, and how there’s no communication with their clients / managing expectations. At this rate I don’t expect delivery before Labor Day, 4 months behind schedule.

Open to any suggestions on what I can do at this point. Escalate with dealership management or Porsche NA? Honestly, pretty frustrated to be receiving a 2022 MY literally days before Porsche starts shipping 2023 models. The entire sale experience has been so sub-par, it’s shockingly disappointing given how wonderful these cars are.
Yes, this can be very normal with all going on. Last year my 2021 GTS sat at Emden while 3 separate ships came and went all heading for my exact US port (SD). I finally made it on the 4th ship. All of this is completely out of the hands of your dealer. All they can do is view the production schedule status updates in their internal system and relay that to you. Unfortunately this can often amount to little or no information as they are relying on what is entered by corporate in Germany. In other words, their hands are tied. Trust me they want the car as much as you.

I would not not let the whole model year subject topic weigh on your mind much. They are the same car and yours less $ vs. someone getting a 2023 a month after you. In the current landscape, this is just how it is. If you go to sell it in a couple years you will have a lower milage 2022 then most which will offset any model year price difference. Many of us that wound up with the last builds of the 2021 model received them in Nov and Dec of last year with all the delays that kept piling up so barely had any drive time in it when 2022 rang in.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The car then reached V300 status end of May, and it’s been sitting at Emden port ever since. My dealership in NJ has no handle on this. Zero visibility into shipment schedules, no proactive updates. After checking in earlier this week, my SA responded that “surprisingly and inexplicably” my car didn’t end up on the one boat that he thought it would be on, which left 3 days ago. He has no information when the next boat will leave, points out that the dealership was able to get 44 out of 125 cars that are waiting in Emden onto the last boat - but mine didn’t make the cut.
According to the schedule referenced here, there are a few ships departing Emden in the next few weeks which will reach the east coast in August.

·
Registered
2022 Macan GTS Gentian Blue
202 Posts
When did you receive your car? I was told by sales manager of my dealership that Porsche will communicate directly with customers about CAD $650 voucher related to manual steering column adjustment. Picked up my S mid May and I haven’t heard from Porsche yet.

Picked mine up 2 weeks ago and it had the manual steering column. I contacted PCNA and got this vague response.

“Thank you for contacting Porsche Cars North America.

As we understand this was a promised feature of your vehicle, the ongoing global semiconductor shortages has forced the permanent discontinuation of the electrically adjustable steering column for all (MY22) Macan III models, and specific (MY22) 911 models . This impacts all Macan models produced beginning calendar week 3, January 2022, and future months.

In the event a recall is issued, we want to ensure you are aware of the campaign and planned remedy.”

Why are they continuing the dishonesty and charades with customers. If you know you can‘t deliver, change the car spec so customers know what they’re getting. The electric column isn’t a critical component for me but I don’t appreciate the lies.

The least they could do at this point is be forthcoming with me on the planned remedy.

·
Registered
2022 Macan
696 Posts
Picked mine up 2 weeks ago and it had the manual steering column. I contacted PCNA and got this vague response.

“Thank you for contacting Porsche Cars North America.

As we understand this was a promised feature of your vehicle, the ongoing global semiconductor shortages has forced the permanent discontinuation of the electrically adjustable steering column for all (MY22) Macan III models, and specific (MY22) 911 models . This impacts all Macan models produced beginning calendar week 3, January 2022, and future months.

In the event a recall is issued, we want to ensure you are aware of the campaign and planned remedy.”

Why are they continuing the dishonesty and charades with customers. If you know you can‘t deliver, change the car spec so customers know what they’re getting. The electric column isn’t a critical component for me but I don’t appreciate the lies.

The least they could do at this point is be forthcoming with me on the planned remedy.
Because car manufacturers never really tried to build a relationship with their customers. You at least got a response, I got nothing for 3 months from Porsche Canada nor the dealer. Even when I finally got someone on the phone who promised to get back to me, nada. I finally got the voucher in the email so I consider the issue resolved. It will be interesting to see how the industry evolve into a brand to consumer relationship. They all know they need to do it if they want to sell software-based features as subscription but time will tell how well they do it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yes, this can be very normal with all going on. Last year my 2021 GTS sat at Emden while 3 separate ships came and went all heading for my exact US port (SD). I finally made it on the 4th ship. All of this is completely out of the hands of your dealer. All they can do is view the production schedule status updates in their internal system and relay that to you. Unfortunately this can often amount to little or no information as they are relying on what is entered by corporate in Germany. In other words, their hands are tied. Trust me they want the car as much as you.

I would not not let the whole model year subject topic weigh on your mind much. They are the same car and yours less $ vs. someone getting a 2023 a month after you. In the current landscape, this is just how it is. If you go to sell it in a couple years you will have a lower milage 2022 then most which will offset any model year price difference. Many of us that wound up with the last builds of the 2021 model received them in Nov and Dec of last year with all the delays that kept piling up so barely had any drive time in it when 2022 rang in.
Thanks, @meyecul - much appreciated. I know times are challenging but it helps to know that the dealership is not at fault. You’re making a good points re: mileage etc.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I think the latest 48 hour strike is over but it is likely still wrecking havoc on the schedule

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
The shipping companies are basically holding folks hostage as well. I have a number of shipments coming from China and paid a $1,700,000 "bounty" on the first shipment. We had paid, in advance, for the shipping containers when we entered into the contract. Now, the line is "yep, you paid in full but others are offering $17,000 more . . . you meet if or we sell it to them".

This whole "supply thing" is a joke . . .

By the way . . . . I could care less about the increases . . . they'll be $15,000,000 by the time the last shipment comes . . . and last week I had to shell out a large sum to a college student doing research on the Blandings Turtle as part of a NCBP (Net Conservation Benefit Plan) based on "take" the fact that we could kill 1`, possibly 2 turtles over the life of the project. If I didn't get to pass every dollar of this crap, with all the OH and mark-ups, onto the consumer, by state tariff agreement . . . . it'd be disturbing.

·
Registered
168 Posts
My car sat at port for almost a month (since 06/26 - just got picked up for transport today). When asked about the delay, SA said it was because of the "campaign" that had to be done? Anyone know what he is talking about. I was not aware of any updates to the Macan GTS, recently.

·
Registered
205 Posts
My car is in for service and they gave me a 2022 loaner that is practically brand new. It had less than 500 miles on it when I picked it up. The car is a base model and surprisingly is pretty loaded with options, but it has the manual steering wheel adjustment. Not loving it because it took me much longer to get it in just the right spot versus what I think I could have done with the power adjustment, but I guess once it's set I never really move it. Starting to look at a '23 S to replace my '20 base model and hoping I get lucky with the power steering wheel adjustment.

·
Registered
24 Posts
As you can see from my profile I've been in and out of this forum since 2017. I always liked the Macan but we had a Q5 that was new enough and had low enough miles to make it difficult to justify selling and buying a Macan in 2017. With used car values at an all time high, I decided to pull the plug and sell the Audi in April and ordered a 2022 Macan S at that time. Since then I've been reading this forum and driving myself crazy second guessing what I've configured for my car. The market being what it is I was not able to test drive a 2022 Macan and had to do my best with the configurator. I think perhaps my salesman should have been more involved in helping with my decisions but that's water under the bridge. The car is finally almost here (due to dealer by end of August.....will probably be the last 2022 produced LOL) and I'm down to the last of my questions.

I've seen comments in various posts about some sort of electric adjustment for the steering wheel that seems to be missing from recent builds. I'm not sure if that is a feature that moves the steering wheel to adjust for a comfortable driving position or if it is the feature that moves the steering wheel out of the way when you enter or exit the car.

My question for the forum members is what items (if any) are standard to the car but are not showing up currenlty due to supply chain or other issues? If these items are included in the base price of the car, what if anything have you done about getting some sort of rebate/adjustment from your dealer for any missing items?

I'd like to know what to look for and how to handle any missing items when my new Macan arrives. Hopefully nothing is missing and I'm concerning myself about nothing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
We did a euro delivery on our GTS early May. Only missing item is electric steering column adjustment. We received a $650 credit from Porsche to cover this. Other than that everything was great. Amazing car, dropped off July 1st in Leipzig and can't wait for it to arrive at the dealer.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I've seen comments in various posts about some sort of electric adjustment for the steering wheel that seems to be missing from recent builds. I'm not sure if that is a feature that moves the steering wheel to adjust for a comfortable driving position or if it is the feature that moves the steering wheel out of the way when you enter or exit the car.
It is both. They are controlled by the same motor, which Porsche is removing from all Macans built after Jan 2022.
My question for the forum members is what items (if any) are standard to the car but are not showing up currenlty due to supply chain or other issues? If these items are included in the base price of the car, what if anything have you done about getting some sort of rebate/adjustment from your dealer for any missing items?
As of now, it's only the electric steering column as described above. For MY22, you should be receiving an email containing a $500 voucher in the US. Ideally you should get that email prior to taking delivery, in which case your dealer can then deduct that $500 from your bill of sale. Otherwise, Porsche says you can use it toward accessories or service costs after delivery.

·
Registered
205 Posts
They have already stated that the MY23's will not be getting the power adjustment, the problem is now in the higher end Porsche models also.
For the '23s are they still giving a credit or did they supposedly factor the lack of the steering wheel motor in the new price?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I ordered my Macan GTS in Mar 2022 and the dealer just received it. However, the salesman told me there is a recall/stop sale relating to the Bose system. He wasn't sure but thinks it's related to the amplifier or subwoofer. He said Porsche North America has started to send parts to dealers but I'm still waiting (I live in Michigan). I'm not sure if this is a regional thing, but has anybody else experienced this issue and how long did you wait?

·
Registered
20 Posts
My macan has been ready and been waiting at port for a month now. Apparently the reason it’s not been shipped out yet is because they are waiting on the entire vessel to be loaded up. I am located in Ontario, Canada by the way.
It’s even more crazy that my brother was able to get his cayenne this week despite it being built at the same time as my macan.
It will be seven months since I placed order. Anyone else experiencing this problem?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Waiting for my GTS as the SA does not know if it is on the boat or still at the port - some issue with the system. My GTS has been invoiced but unfortunately no updates...

2041 - 2060 of 2072 Posts