Porsche Macan Forum banner

How would you handle a manually adjusted steering column?

• Yes, I would cancel the order

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • No, I wouldn't cancel with no issues. Can live with manual steering column adjustments.

Votes: 14 22.2%
  • No, I wouldn't cancel, but don't like that the feature is missing

Votes: 39 61.9%
  • Maybe. Depends on other factors.

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • Other

Votes: 1 1.6%
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
14,484 Posts
8 way seat on a Porsche should be forbidden. If one thing that shows how popular the 8 way seats are is that none of the many Base loaners I got had them on it. Minimum should be 14 way.
I actually like them more than the 14's . That flat 14 surface and extra electronics is hander on the back and shoulder area . 18's are by far the best and none are horrible .

·
Registered
14,484 Posts
NYT article on the chip shortage. Good read: A Tiny Part’s Big Ripple: Global Chip Shortage Hobbles the Auto Industry

"Porsche warned dealers in the United States this month that customers might have to wait an extra 12 weeks to get their cars, because they lack a chip used to monitor tire pressure."

"Porsche has told U.S. dealers that for several months it won’t be able to deliver high-end seats in the Macan S.U.V. that can be adjusted 18 different ways, a popular upgrade. The necessary chips are unavailable."
I spoke to my dealership a few weeks ago and they told me the chip shortage was not the issue . They (Porsche) were having Covid problems . They were ahead of us in variants and behind us in vaccine rollout. A friend (VIP buyer) in another state confirmed a week later its a chip problem . I think its BOTH .
There is a huge question though .. he wanted too order a Cayenne GTS and could not get the PSCB brakes prior to that .

In short .. the real answer is it does not matter .. car production at Porsche is super tight. In my opinion it means its a sellers market (if you are holding a car wanting out) and a lot car shopping moment .

I did not and would not order a car .

·
Registered
14,484 Posts
18’s are only good if you can fit yourself comfortably on it. I tried many times and with heavy winter coats I could not find myself comfortable on the 18’s. My 14’s are fantastic and the lumbar support by pumping air in that area is a life saver if you have back pain.
I dont wear a winter coat but even long ago when I did as soon as the car warmed inside the coat came off . Although NYC may not have been as cold as where you live . It's been so long that I even went to cold weather . This year was monumental though . During the lockdown I know I had gained a few (which I now lost) so when it got cold here I was terrified that my pants (from last cold weather season) would not fit conformably . I didn't want to go to a store and didn't want to order pants online when I knew I would lose the pounds once the sedentary life tapered. So I tried everything to not even find out . Yep that's right .. a first for me .. one full year of shorts.

·
Registered
14,484 Posts
I have visited two dealerships. The first one, a larger dealership would not order due to 14 way and 18 way chip issue. The second took my Macan S order for May with July delivery with the caveat that it may be delayed into August.
August is nearly model year 2022 . Too long to wait . Pick something now . It may not have X, y or Z option or be. first choice seat or color but its a done deal . Its an SUV . If tis were something like a Gt3 I'd be more flexible but for an S ? It;s just top long.

·
Registered
14,484 Posts
I found out a few things in the recent days . I was helping a friend who was interested in a CPO 911 and the first thing I found out is that the prices are up about 10-15K from last year . To give an example a 991.2 GTS (my car) is asking 130's -140's used and they are getting it. There are cars available . Its just not cheap to buy any.

With used cars being so high it prompted me to call my dealership . What I was told shocked me . For months I have checked their inventory and they have no cars . In fact I looked at several Florida dealerships . Some are even asking over MSRP for CPO 2020 cars .

He told me why . He said "its a combination of everything" . He expressed that they have been selling cars but that EVERY car entering the dealership is pre sold. In. fact he told me they are sold out all the way through their 2022 allocation on 911's and that they expect more slots in November to emerge but that they already have money in house for deposits when they do . They even have deposits on a 992 GTS and it hasn't even been announced .

Hey expressed that EVERY car they are selling right down to a base cayenne is not discounted and that sales are up and people are desperately buying . His advice "dont buy anything right now " . He said inflation has lowered the lending rates , people moved from heavily populated areas to Miami or made the vacation condo a permanent residence . People are going out more and they want a car .

I mentioned the Macan . He told me there will be no 2022 Macan . In 2022 a Macan. 3 will be released with EV's . I did not hear whether it was pure EV or EV plus ICE . I was so blown away by the 911 that I was numb and didn't focus . I am sorry guys . I'll find out more.

·
Registered
14,484 Posts
Same situation in the Ferrari world!
Friend ordered a C8 Corvette. Delivery delayed until mid 2022.
Never have I seen so few Jeeps on the dealer lots.
Same with homes. Low inventory. High demand.
Strange times!
Its funny you brought this up . My sales guy expressed that it wasn't only cars in demand . He was going to add a pool to his house until he got quotes . Its about 50K to add a simple house pool nowadays . BTW I am a swimmer yet wish I could fill my pool with cement . I hate having a pool at my house !!! Off topic but my point is everything is priced high .

·
Registered
14,484 Posts
Not the kind of market in which I would be a buyer. I never want to be a "desperate" buyer of any car.
I got out of the my last Macan at the right time . It was near warranty end and its my wife's daily . I held off on my 911 waiting to see a GTS . They have deposits in house at my dealership for a GTS and the car hasn't even been announced . I have not tried Ft Myers or Champion yet . I originally wanted to talk to my dealership about a few of their CPO cars for my friend.

Mind you .. I have bought a pile of cars there . I didn't even make a deposit and part of me feels that as much as he wants to sell a car to me he has none to offer with no end in sight. I love my car . I have never kept a 911 into high miles but if is one to try it with its this one . The car has had bulletproof reliability .

·
Registered
14,484 Posts
+1. No point selling now, unless you're downsizing your scuderia.

It's time to start hanging on to what you've got, even if most people don't realize it yet.
A lot of the buyers he is seeing are upsizing the cars as they downsized their homes . New York was a huge epicenter of Covid in the onset of 2020 . A lot of snowbirds have condos here . They left NY . During lockdown dealerships were essential . They sold out their entire lot car inventory . South Americans with wealth saw their countries struggling with vaccine rollout and illness . They moved to their second residence ! Sell a house in a place like New York . Los Angeles or San Francisco and a person has a lot of cash left over. Everyone who gets here with money wants a nice car. My dealership sells Porsche , Ferrari, Maserati , Jaguar, Aston , Audi, Alfa Romeo , Mclaren . Its like a candy store of cars and actually a fun place to sip coffee before the days of Covid . Its got all types of cars and people from all over the country and world .

South Florida is a known high volume Porsche region . In fact Champion is (for was ) the highest volume dealership in the country . Funny.. I just looked at their website and a car caught my eye . Its a beauty .. I guess all is not lost for the future . 2018 Porsche 911 Turbo Pompano Beach FL 28817615

·
Registered
14,484 Posts
I wonder if Audi is having the same problem as well. I just got an email from my Audi dealer asking for me to sell them my low mileage 2016 S5 convertible that I have lovingly maintained at their dealership all these years. They are will to give me “top dollar” for her. 😊 I’m sure if I was willing to part with her I could get even more “bucks” than what the dealer was willing to cough up.
If they are asking you for the car then you know its a big deal at Audi too.

·
Registered
14,484 Posts
I can confirm what @yrralis1 is saying. Because of how used cars are getting some pretty insane prices right now, I took the Macan S to get a couple of offers. Carmax usually gives me the best offer for the last few cars i've sold and they REALLY lowballed me (Carvana and Vroom as well, all 3 were offering $32k for a well taken care of Macan S with 40k miles on it) 2 Audi dealers offered $37,500 and the Porsche dealer that I bought my Macan from offered me $40k for it. I honestly considered selling it but the current problem is, finding a car that I would want after. I've been free and clear on payments for a long time now and it's nice to not have a payment but to step into something right now would be a little bit of a stretch for me since I have the lease on the 718, and I bought my house pre-pandemic and going through a refinance.

I wanted to sell the Macan, find a cheap-ish lease on a BEV (not like my old $99 dollar a month eGolf but...would be nice!), do a one payment lease and cash out the rest of the money to pay bills or put towards investing, etc. But things like a VW ID.4's in Los Angeles are going for $500-$600 a month, (when a base Macan is $550-$600 a month) and Audi ETrons are going for INSANE amounts of money right now. I was quoted $1200 a month for a BASE Audi Etron with $10k down. Jaguar I-Pace? try $900 a month lease $10k down, 7500 miles a year. Even a exec loaner with 8k miles was still going for $750 a month. **** I even looked at a Ford Mustang Mach-E and it wasn't pretty either. I suspect that ICE cars are probably feeling the squeeze as well but not as much as BEV's right now. Given the chip shortage and the pandemic, I fear and feel that this upward trend isn't going to stop anytime soon.

My dad's Range Rover Sport is on a 39 month long lease which is due to end in March of next year. The dealer offered to buy the car outright from him and order him something. He wants a Defender 110 (against my better judgement) and they are projecting to him a slot and car delivery sometime in December, which is why they are willing to buy his lease out right now to secure his spot for one. They offered him one that is showing up in July but its a $79k Defender 110 marked up to $90k, which would take his lease payment* way above what he's paying now. (*his RR Sport is a Section 179 tax write off for his business.

And it's not just chips and cars either. My dogs food has been out of stock for months, we've had to switch her to a different diet which is a little problematic with her allergies and stomach issues. I'm looking at 2-3 long lead times for laptops from Apple for my company, and if I want a Lenovo Thinkpad, all my usual distributors are plain sold out with NO updates in sight. Network equipment? Good luck, I need to start planning a new office and I won't get Cisco Wireless Access Points until next year at the SOONEST. (Not that it matters, our entire company wants to sort of stay work from home for the long haul because we don't want to be quick to go back and then get everyone sick, we also got rid of our office space last year....so no where to go!) Ammunition for all the gun owners of the forum, you know where that's going and here in CA, there is a MAD buying frenzy due to the fear that everything is going to be outlawed and banned.

As for Taycan, while many dealers have a lot in stock, it's usually fully loaded 4s's Turbos and Turbo S's. The base Taycan appear to be flying off the shelves, and that's without the Performance Plus Battery too, and without 14 way seats (usually 8's). For all those leases above where they are marking WAY WAY up, a Base Taycan lease here in LA is $10k down, 36-42 months, 10k a year is around $1000 bucks a month. That means the Audi Etron's are being marked UP from $71k to at least $90k-100K EASY, and with a lease, that's WITH the dealership taking your $7500 credit.

Earlier this year a friend of mine with a PTS 991.2 GT3 Touring sold his car for more than he bought it. If had waited 2 weeks, he would have gotten $30k MORE. It's FOR SURE a sellers market, but not a buyers if you don't have something already. I thought about using the Cayman is my daily but with all the hiking i've been doing lately with the dog, kinda hard!
Have you tried Chewy for the dog food ?

You are spot on that its not just the chip shortage or Covid related . With interest rates low, people going out more again , and many of them having moved to a less crowded metropolitan city Porsche is red hot . It's most noticed with the 911 . The Macan was so mass produced that the price surge is not as dramatic (but still there).

Just to give an example I pulled up EVERY CPO 2020 992 within 200 miles of Miami . Average prices are in the high 140's USED !!!! The cheapest one is this one at 127K. The build sheet places it at 120K . Thats 7K over MSRP for a CPO base car that is 1 model year old . They are all like this .. asking over MSRP .

Here's the build sheet WP0AA2A92LS205886 | 2020 Porsche 911 Carrera (992) | VIN Analytics

·
Registered
14,484 Posts
Granted it's got low miles but how about a $60K 2015 base Cayman...in yellow. Crazy :LOL:
I just got off the phone with a friend . He is awaiting a Gt3 touring and is the first on his dealership list (he's VIP) . He put in an order for the first AWD M3 (lives in snow. .. he even got all season tires ) . BMW is still building cars . It offers a side door to thaw out a few Porsche owners while some of this madness continues . The M3 is not a bad deal and they are languishing on lots because no one likes the big grill . They are quick, handle well, and practical . At low 80's they are affordable too. It's a good place to pause if needing a car .

·
Registered
14,484 Posts
Despite not being a BMW fan, I decided to get this new 2020 from the showroom floor with decent clearout discounts. Depreciation is terrible for this car and I am really not in love with an interior that is so similar to other BMWs. But for what I was looking for feature wise plus $ wise, this fits. Tanzanite Blue matches the DBM on the Macan.

View attachment 242827 View attachment 242828 View attachment 242829
How does it drive ? Looks nice . I did well on my former e92 m3s in trade . I just did not see myself ever considering one again . I likely would pay the extra on a Porsche but that leaves a sour taste . Right now I just keep driving my car off warranty as the miles add on .

·
Registered
14,484 Posts
Yeah - at the risk of getting flamed… I’ll join in this. I currently have a loaded x4 m40i with my name on it coming in next month. I am still not 100% decided on it yet, but this chip shortage thing is surreal and I wanted to cement something in soon that I knew would probably suffice for a fun, sporty DD. The used Macan market is just not where I want it to be (model vs price vs worth it)… and the cost & delay of getting a new one still doesn’t float my boat either. I WANT to keep the GTS… but my practical side along with financial brain knows it’s a good time to let it go. Current market + further depreciation + maintenance will knock a huge chunk out over the next year… and even then I still might be in the same predicament looking for a car, but would be out of warranty (or close to being out). I don’t feel like heading down that path for my daily driver.

I’ll also be completely transparent… I like cars. Life is too short to drive the same car all the time. The X4M is something new & different; but If the x4 sucks, I’ll likely wait a few months and try out the new GV70 (assuming some make it here). They released pricing on those today, and though it isn’t far off from expectations, it is a tad high. Now factor in they are a new, hot item, AND the pending car market shortage, they may even go for over MSRP. I’m not doing that on a brand new model that hasn’t even seen the real world yet. If it turns out I don’t like the GV70 either, well, I guess I’m screwed and will just have to keep my current GTS until the new model Macan comes out and bite the freegin’ bullet on purchasing a new one.

Crazy times…
I wouldn't do it . I wrote the post on the M3 and slept on it but even then I had ambivalence . I would pay the extra money to buy Porsche . I also would not deal with outrageous waits . I found Macan GTS and Turbo cars at Porsche West Houston with photos on their site . I know nothing of the dealership but would expect to pay MSRP . I would not be obsessive about color or options . I would have a car !!!
Now suppose a dealership was asking over MSRP . ON a Macan .. no way . If so I'd find one elsewhere .
Any time I have wanted a car I found one . With a 911 its next to impossible and at 140-150K for a Carrera S (over MSRP) used no way . With a Macan however you got it . It's even near enough to you to have it delivered .

Now suppose the new Macan feels too much like the same car . It isn't . But lets say you still feel it is. Then I'd look at a Cayenne GTS . They are expensive so dealerships do have them but they are an awesome vehicle .

The X4M is not cheap . Its not a bad car at all . It's just not greatness and at the price it should be.

·
Registered
14,484 Posts
Yes….BUT, my SA said they are not allowing HK radio option due to the chip shortage on custom orders… hence the reason my name is on the one coming in next month… it was already in production and has HK. It has all my must-haves, but unfortunately about 5K worth of options I don’t want. We’ll see what it’s like in person and if they are willing to deal. If not, I walk and enjoy my aging but still-so-beautiful/enjoyable GTS…
I think more people are keeping their car longer . Its really not the time to buy anything unless you need to. It's actually the time to sell the car . I got off the phone today with another dealership . They have one Cayenne and Taycan . I seriously considered putting a deposit on a 911 GTS but the car has not even been announced yet . I left it as "as soon as you hear anything tell me" but I am rethinking that maybe I should leave a 2K deposit . My dealership already has a few of them as well as money in house for base and S 911's post November when they get them . The rest are sold out . People are spending money. They have been cooped up a year making it even harder to buy . Low interest rates and remote work has them drinking the Porsche kool aid . I could probably sell any Macan Turbo for what I paid and my 911 is even more unreal , I can't find a GTS below 130K and most are between 140-150K used . It's crazy.

·
Registered
14,484 Posts
Just came back from my Porsche dealer this morning after stopping by for a car wash and have a coffee with my SA. He confirmed that all the 20 allocations they get for 911 per year are sold. They have allocations for Macans and other cars still available but not many. Interesting enough, an official Ferrari dealer is opening next door to the Porsche dealer (same owner). Apparently Ferrari did some research and found out the Twin Cities market is enough to have its own dealer. My SA said they won’t have allocations to build cars until they open in a month but they will get 15 vehicles already configured from Ferrari to open the dealer. According to him they are all committed already. 😱😱 The cheapest one starts at $280k. Well, it seems the market it hot out there.
Ferrari is an entirely different world . Most first time buyers are expected to buy a CPO . They want to get to know their buyers and wont sell a car to just anyone who wants it no matter how much he offers . They even put a cease and desist order a few years ago on a guy who put wrap on the car. Deadmau5 Gets In Trademark Catfight With Ferrari

·
Registered
14,484 Posts
Once the labor and chip shortages are over, the market will be flooded with vehicles. You won’t be able to give them away. If you’re serious do it now.
I weigh this big time . Before I do anything though the dealership owes me a stone guard and while there I have a scratch on the wheel rim that is easy to repair for them . Then it has to go to my detail guy .

My GTS has been the most reliable car I ever had . I have never had a repair inn 4 years at 42K miles . I can't find any for under 125K and the lower priced ones minimal options (particularly weak on interiors ).

The wild card for me is that despite being 90 percent sold on the idea of the GTS there still is that 10 percent tilting to a Gt3 . If I bought the Gt3 I would have to sell both cars . I likely would buy a stripped base Macan if I did and try to use my Gt3 touring often. I just cant get past the idea of not driving a 911 every day but I look at the Gt3 and I just crumble .

·
Registered
14,484 Posts
One thing I don’t understand is, if semiconductor shortage is behind the shortage of inventory, why does the average dealer have 20 or more Cayennes, 30 or more Macans, and an equal number of Taycans, yet zero 911, zero Cayman, and zero Boxster? I thought people weren’t buying as many sports cars as they once did.
One thing I don’t understand is, if semiconductor shortage is behind the shortage of inventory, why does the average dealer have 20 or more Cayennes, 30 or more Macans, and an equal number of Taycans, yet zero 911, zero Cayman, and zero Boxster? I thought people weren’t buying as many sports cars as they once did.
Some of those cars were built or earmarked prior to the shortage . Porsche is still building 911's . Dealerships dont have them in inventory because they are all pre sold . So if you want a car you have to order, wait, and pay MSRP . Some dealerships are charging over MSRP even for used cars .

The shortage is due to so many factors . When Covid hit many people worked remote and needed those chips . Car sales were expected at first to decline to auto companies ordered less . The surge in car demand has exacerbated the lack of supply to meet them . The China trade war also limited sales . The fire at a major factory in Japan added to it . This isn't going away . We need to adapt . It's a sellers market . If you have a spare car that you no longer use much consider selling it . If you are buying a car discounts are slim to none .

1 - 20 of 46 Posts