Porsche Macan Forum banner

How would you handle a manually adjusted steering column?

• Yes, I would cancel the order

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • No, I wouldn't cancel with no issues. Can live with manual steering column adjustments.

Votes: 14 22.2%
  • No, I wouldn't cancel, but don't like that the feature is missing

Votes: 39 61.9%
  • Maybe. Depends on other factors.

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • Other

Votes: 1 1.6%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
8 way seat on a Porsche should be forbidden. If one thing that shows how popular the 8 way seats are is that none of the many Base loaners I got had them on it. Minimum should be 14 way.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
I actually like them more than the 14's . That flat 14 surface and extra electronics is hander on the back and shoulder area . 18's are by far the best and none are horrible .
18’s are only good if you can fit yourself comfortably on it. I tried many times and with heavy winter coats I could not find myself comfortable on the 18’s. My 14’s are fantastic and the lumbar support by pumping air in that area is a life saver if you have back pain.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
FYI, just got back from my Porsche dealer and was chatting with a SA about this issue. He said they just received communication from Porsche this morning that the issue has been resolved and they can start taking orders for cars with 14 and 18-way seats starting June 1st.

Reactions: TXRed and Gachnar

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Just came back from my Porsche dealer this morning after stopping by for a car wash and have a coffee with my SA. He confirmed that all the 20 allocations they get for 911 per year are sold. They have allocations for Macans and other cars still available but not many. Interesting enough, an official Ferrari dealer is opening next door to the Porsche dealer (same owner). Apparently Ferrari did some research and found out the Twin Cities market is enough to have its own dealer. My SA said they won’t have allocations to build cars until they open in a month but they will get 15 vehicles already configured from Ferrari to open the dealer. According to him they are all committed already. 😱😱 The cheapest one starts at $280k. Well, it seems the market it hot out there.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Ferrari is an entirely different world . Most first time buyers are expected to buy a CPO . They want to get to know their buyers and wont sell a car to just anyone who wants it no matter how much he offers . They even put a cease and desist order a few years ago on a guy who put wrap on the car. Deadmau5 Gets In Trademark Catfight With Ferrari
You would be surprised how many Ferraris, McLarens, Aston Martins and Lamborghinis there are here in Minneapolis. I always scratch my head since you can only drive those cars for half of the year. I get that in Miami but here?? When I was waiting for my Macan back in 2015 I saw the Porsche dealer had a barely used Ferrari on their floor. I asked the SA what was that car about, he smiled and said it was one of his clients that took it out during the winter, could barely keep the car on the road, got pissed and drove to the Porsche dealer to trade it. He said the guy got in, saw a $200k+ 911 on the floor, gave the Ferrari keys and drove the 911 home. 😳 Anyway, he said all the 15 cars that will be at the dealer when it opens next month are already sold. It will be interesting to visit the place if they allow peasants there. 🤣🤣🤣

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
We’ve been to the Dallas Ferrari dealer several times. They are wonderfully nice! Though admittedly, it probably helps with a gorgeous blond wife who’s 6ft in heels on your arm... Nonetheless, they were super cool and gave us free posters and such for the kiddos. My neighbor drives a 488 Spider, so we get to experience one up close quite often. He actually drives his quite a bit! The sound from his car is exquisite.
LOL!!! I am missing the 6ft blond. 🤣🤣🤣 But my kids are Italians and one is named Enzo so that might help.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
I kid you not (no pun intended), we intensely discussed naming our son Enzo or Valentino.... we REALLY almost went with Valentino. 😬
Great names. Both my kids have Italian names. Enzo has many posters of the Ferrari Enzo and Ferrari miniatures in his room. People love his name around here. Easy to say and very strong like his personality. 😍😍 Mi niece is named Valentina.

Reactions: TXRed

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
When @muhney poked at the 911 Turbo I looked and saw new cars asking near 300K . One or two even broke though it. So I decided to see what my car is selling for on the market. Granted the cars have less miles but OVER MSRP for a 4 year old car ??????

MSRP was 138K WP0AB2A96JS122231 | 2018 Porsche 911 Carrera GTS | VIN Analytics

If this was the only example I would think it was a typo. Its everywhere . I may not trade my car but rather sell it privately when my order is confirmed and locked .
They just dropped the asking price by $10,140. I could be wrong but things are getting back on track. Spoke with a friend who is a realtor here in MN. She said the last 4 months have been the most insane in her 20 years of being a realtor. People paying $500k over asking prices for sight unseen houses and no inspection. She sold $5mm plus houses in cash. Also, some people were adding perks to the family selling the house like full vacation in the Caribbean for the entire family. She said in the last 3 weeks that was gone. Buyers started giving the middle finger to sellers trying to sell houses without inspections. Prices are still higher but way closer to reality. I think the same will happen to cars. People are not that stupid.

Reactions: yrralis1

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Yes, they are. A house six doors down went for $2.5 million over the asking price 6 months ago. Zillow has raised its value since then by an additional $1/2 million. Granted this is waterfront Lake Washington, but...
Banks are rejecting mortgage since these are way overvalued. Better have enough cash to spend.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Feel free to merge this to another thread but I could not find where to post.

Just had my Macan in for a 60k mile service and got a brand spanking new loaner. It was a Macan Base but loaded with 14-way seats and some other nice stuff. When setting up my driving position I noticed the steering wheel adjustment was manual. I immediately thought about the shortage of electronic components for cars. Brought car back once my car was ready and mentioned to my SA and asked how bad are things out there. He said it was really bad.

As for the Macan steering wheel, no matter what seats you order, you will get the manual adjustment steering wheel that will be replaced later once they have parts. He said it is a big job since the entire steering wheel column has to be replaced. Now, here is a crazy one he shared with me. If you order a Macan, be happy you can at least adjust the steering wheel manually. Now, if you order a Cayenne, you are screwed. The Cayennes are being delivered with a steering wheel column with zero adjustments. Once the car is delivered, you have to go to the dealer, sit in the car and they will hook up a computer to your car and adjust the steering wheel for you. Once you find the right position they will then unhook the computer and that is it. You cannot move the steering wheel at all. No up and down, no moving it deeper or closer to you. Nothing. I asked about people like me where my wife’s settings are so different than mine since she is smaller. He smiled and said: you are out of luck.

Next, he said there are no Macans being delivered with Michelin tires. Zero!! Michelin has an emergency supply if you blow a single tire but that is usually a month out but no new cars come with Michelin nor you can buy a set of 4 Michelin tires. 🥴

Anyway, good luck to all of you trying to buy a new car.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Are you suggesting they will deliver a car to a customer that lacks factory spec items?

My experience is dated. . . . But, that has always been a HUGE no no.
You probably missed the thread but yes this has been happening for a while now. Cars are being delivered missing parts that were ordered originally and will be replaced once they become available. Mostly seats and steering wheel that needs computer chips are being delivered with manual adjustments vs electronic ones.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Well the good news is my GTS arrived at the dealer. The bad news is I have no timeline when I will be allowed to pick up. It currently has a stop sale for the Bose component(s)…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
What do you mean “a stop sale for Bose components”?

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
View attachment 248373

The wait is over picked up my GTS today. 18-way seats are comfortable, the red tachometer is a little hard to read, the exhaust note is sweet—two keys, Michelin tires, manual steering column adjustment, power steering column adjustment retrofit at some point in time. They do not have a clue when this will be.
I don’t understand why Porsche cannot make the tachometer of the Macan always have the illumination on. My S has a gray one which is not bad during the day but it becomes another car when lights are on. I had a Base loaner this week and the tachometer is all black an it is almost impossible to read it during the day. This has been a complaint since the car was launched and not corrected yet.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
What is the issue with black tachometer during the daylight? I got a '22 GTS on order with lock date several months away, might change it. I currently drive a '12 Q5 with black dials and absolutely no issues during daylight.
It is very dark. It is analogue and without backlit illumination it is not easy to read. The speedometer os even worse.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
My dealer told me cars shipped without electric steering column would be retrofitted at the dealer.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
For what it is worth, we (my wife and I) are not mad... it is not that important a feature for us.
Well, first it is a Porsche so not having electric steering wheel is weird. I just rented a Korean car and it had it. My wife is very small and she has a completely different driving position than mine. Thus, having the steering wheel go back all the way up so I can fit in the car nicely after she drove it is a big deal.

Reactions: NangNang
1 - 17 of 17 Posts