Porsche Macan Forum banner

How would you handle a manually adjusted steering column?

• Yes, I would cancel the order

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • No, I wouldn't cancel with no issues. Can live with manual steering column adjustments.

Votes: 14 22.2%
  • No, I wouldn't cancel, but don't like that the feature is missing

Votes: 39 61.9%
  • Maybe. Depends on other factors.

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • Other

Votes: 1 1.6%
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Yes, Yes, and Yes... I am feeling the same. Although this dealership has a reputation in this forum for making good quick deals. With taking PEC in LA, I am freed up to deal with any dealership across the country. Never dealt with Porsche, so new territory for me, but I know my local Dallas dealers best was $1,500 off sticker.

Alas, I built my spreadsheet with every US Porsche dealer... about to go cross eyed. The Accord is starting to sound good to me. 🤪
Yep - DFW guys are saying "MSRP" for lot cars, and will barely budge on (custom) builds. Stinks. Even more so, Grapevine had a lot car (GTS) a few weeks ago I may have actually pulled the trigger on... week later, GONZO. Even the "other" brands I'm shopping are getting ridiculous. Thinking about just saying screw it and drive my current GTS into the ground over the next 4-5 years. It won't be worth crud, but at least it makes me smile.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Yeah - at the risk of getting flamed… I’ll join in this. I currently have a loaded x4 m40i with my name on it coming in next month. I am still not 100% decided on it yet, but this chip shortage thing is surreal and I wanted to cement something in soon that I knew would probably suffice for a fun, sporty DD. The used Macan market is just not where I want it to be (model vs price vs worth it)… and the cost & delay of getting a new one still doesn’t float my boat either. I WANT to keep the GTS… but my practical side along with financial brain knows it’s a good time to let it go. Current market + further depreciation + maintenance will knock a huge chunk out over the next year… and even then I still might be in the same predicament looking for a car, but would be out of warranty (or close to being out). I don’t feel like heading down that path for my daily driver.

I’ll also be completely transparent… I like cars. Life is too short to drive the same car all the time. The X4M is something new & different; but If the x4 sucks, I’ll likely wait a few months and try out the new GV70 (assuming some make it here). They released pricing on those today, and though it isn’t far off from expectations, it is a tad high. Now factor in they are a new, hot item, AND the pending car market shortage, they may even go for over MSRP. I’m not doing that on a brand new model that hasn’t even seen the real world yet. If it turns out I don’t like the GV70 either, well, I guess I’m screwed and will just have to keep my current GTS until the new model Macan comes out and bite the freegin’ bullet on purchasing a new one.

Crazy times…

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
The X4M is easily $80k+. I’d rather have the Macan GTS at that price.
Wrong model. X4 M40i.... not the X4M. Different beasts. Not looking for another a$$-kicking tuned CUV... just a sport-oriented lux ride with a few horses under the hood to get out into traffic. We are lucky enough to have a weekender... I’ll prob put my speed focuses there and keep my DD stock and somewhat practical. Doesn’t need to be the fastest SUV at the office. This Porsche world got my mind clouded.... but I’m slowly coming back down to earth.
Nothing will drive like the Macan. I know that... doesn’t mean there aren’t other vehicles to enjoy.

Time will tell.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Yet.......last weekend my wife ordered a MY 21 X3 Hybrid, with all the lux packages (ie chip-dependent), and the car is being build in SC and will be here in MD within 4 weeks. When I asked about supply issues, the SA smiled and shrugged his shoulders, said only a few of the German-built models are short, but the X5 and X3 variants from Spartanburg are in full swing. Go figure..
Yes….BUT, my SA said they are not allowing HK radio option due to the chip shortage on custom orders… hence the reason my name is on the one coming in next month… it was already in production and has HK. It has all my must-haves, but unfortunately about 5K worth of options I don’t want. We’ll see what it’s like in person and if they are willing to deal. If not, I walk and enjoy my aging but still-so-beautiful/enjoyable GTS…

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
You would be surprised how many Ferraris, McLarens, Aston Martins and Lamborghinis there are here in Minneapolis. I always scratch my head since you can only drive those cars for half of the year. I get that in Miami but here?? When I was waiting for my Macan back in 2015 I saw the Porsche dealer had a barely used Ferrari on their floor. I asked the SA what was that car about, he smiled and said it was one of his clients that took it out during the winter, could barely keep the car on the road, got pissed and drove to the Porsche dealer to trade it. He said the guy got in, saw a $200k+ 911 on the floor, gave the Ferrari keys and drove the 911 home. 😳 Anyway, he said all the 15 cars that will be at the dealer when it opens next month are already sold. It will be interesting to visit the place if they allow peasants there. 🤣🤣🤣
We’ve been to the Dallas Ferrari dealer several times. They are wonderfully nice! Though admittedly, it probably helps with a gorgeous blond wife who’s 6ft in heels on your arm... Nonetheless, they were super cool and gave us free posters and such for the kiddos. My neighbor drives a 488 Spider, so we get to experience one up close quite often. He actually drives his quite a bit! The sound from his car is exquisite.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Yes….BUT, my SA said they are not allowing HK radio option due to the chip shortage on custom orders… hence the reason my name is on the one coming in next month… it was already in production and has HK. It has all my must-haves, but unfortunately about 5K worth of options I don’t want. We’ll see what it’s like in person and if they are willing to deal. If not, I walk and enjoy my aging but still-so-beautiful/enjoyable GTS…
Whelp - looks like I'm out fellas (and ladies). It's been a fun ride... and quite possibly, one that I'll come back to in 3-4 years. But for now, the paperwork will be inked (most likely tomorrow) for my new M40i... Dark Graphite Metallic with Tacora Red Interior. As you all know, I love my GTS; it was a tough decision. In the end, for me, it is still just a daily driver (not a one-time, end-all/be-all 911 that I plan to keep for a long time)...so it was the smarter decision for me to move on. This gives me a new ride with zero miles on the odometer to enjoy for the next 4 years. If I end up hating it, I'll put in an order a few years down the road for a new GTS.

Once I have it in my possession and some time, I'll post pics in a new thread for everyone to see (and say goodbye). Though honestly, I'll probably stay on the forum just because... It's been a blast getting to know everyone over the past three years!

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Ordered my GTS in Feb '21.
Still pending... no VIN. It's claimed that the status is V260. Projected delivery: Oct '21.

How crazy is that? Feb -> Oct.

Is it worth the wait, or should I get X3 40i BMW?
DM if you want to discuss in depth... I just purchased a X4 M40i, so I have direct knowledge of comparison if you like (I got rid of my ’17 GTS). I still plan to do a detailed write up comparison for the forum when I have enough time, but just haven’t gotten around to it.

Very, VERY, short version... two different beasts/means to an end IMO. What one excels at, the other excels in different areas. I went into it with my eyes WIDE open as to what the differences might be, and did not expect the Beemer to be a Porsche, nor vice-versa. Am I still happy with my decision? Yes, I am. Do I still miss the GTS from time to time? Yes I do. Did/do both put a smile on my face when I drive them? Yes, but for different reasons.

X3/X4 (depending upon options)... Luxury Sport with a refined (yet still sporty) drive.

Macan (depending upon model)... SPORT Luxury with a focus on steering and overall driver “feel” (at speed).

Simple solution is to decide what aspects of the “drive” are more important to you and select the car from there.

Just my 2 cents....

·
Registered
1,213 Posts

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
That's legal in Oz, not in the USA.

Dealers can't "finish" cars.

I think it was Dodge and I wish I could recall the case that set the whole thing in motion. I learned about it in 1998 when we had a similar situation with motorcycles we were building.

Caveat: Law may have changed since I was in the think of homologation and certification.

P.S. - one of the big things that was tough for Harley-Davidson to get was wheels. They came from Castalloy in Adelaide, Australia and the time on the water made logistics a challenge. If I recall, Castalloy eventually went under and HD stepped in.

HD is stepping in nothing these days. :).

QUOTE FROM ARTICLE: "GM is running what the industry has called a build-shy strategy, where it builds as much of its vehicles as it can, less the parts that require the chips. It is storing tens of thousands of incompletely built pickups, SUVs and vans in Indiana, Illinois, Missouri, Texas and Mexico, several people familiar with GM's production told the USA TODAY Network's Detroit Free Press."
Whoa…. Ummm…. Where the heck are they storing them? I can’t imagine it’s (all) indoors?! What about all the damage to the clear coat and paint from UV rays and elements? Who the heck wants to buy a brand new car or truck that’s been sitting outside for months and months that hasn’t gotten any attention (read: cleaning) at all?! …forget that…

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
We had an area (it was motorcycles, not cars) we referred to as "the hospital" and we placed all the bikes that were awaiting parts.

It's a real pain.

First . . as you observe . . . even inside, they get covered in dust rather than go to "rolls" (roll testing, the first time the bike gets about 8 oz of gas and is started and all systems tested) then to Nate and Dez in crating and off to the loading dock, protected in plastic, to be loaded, transported and to be uncrated by a dealer.

Second . . you have to keep detailed track of what each bike needs. In some cases, the whole population needed the same thing. In other cases, we had . . for example . . 175 3-prong flashers and 115 front isolators . . . so some bike needed one thing, other something else . . some both. Imagine if you are short 250 left front fork legs.

Third . . . try stopping your golf swing midway . . . continuing it . . see what happens to your tee ball. You get the idea.

Fourth . . . when the parts come in they arrive, most times, as partial orders as folks desperately try to clean the mess up and you get left with the triage of sorting ordered bikes and preferential dealers. For fun . . imagine digging a single motorcycle (after you check a couple hundred VIN's to find it) from a group that looks like a herd of Buffalo in the days of the old West. You get the idea.

Anyway . . . it's part of the reason I find my interest in the 2022 a bit diminished. I am assured that cars "are being built and are all on order and leaving the dealership the day they arrive". I do not believe that. I have asked the dealer I was at the other day "Is Porsche currently building cars?" . . he offered me a Croissant and told me he'd have an allocation for a GTS.

Anyway . . . we are certainly in odd times. I've got a couple thousand shipping containers from from China that I paid a lot of money, in advance, for and am getting the "pay the extra $17,000 per or lose it to someone who will". If you have a very critical project (think the lights in LA) and want your ship freed from that mess in the Port of Long Beach . . you better get ready to be innovative and toss out 7 figure sums on the spur of the moment.

I'm happy with my meager little Macan Base for now.
Yeah… I can only imagine. In my former life before medical, it was logistics for 10 years. I cannot imagine having a job in logistics right now…. back in my day, every day was basically like getting kicked in the cojones… trying to fathom what today’s scene entails scares the daylights out of me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts