Porsche Macan Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
I drove a base model Macan through an entire Colorado winter of snowstorms and heavy ice. PTV isn't a must, but if you select "Off Road" you find your slick performance goes up when navigating snow and ice.

·
Registered
17 Posts
@Canuck - you and I are very similarly situated. Can I pick your brains on the SC and PTV+ in terms of some of the pros and cons you went through?
Well, bear in mind that my answers below are based on discussion with my SA and my own reading on this forum and elsewhere.

SC. I originally wanted this. SA said that the GTS tuning is sportier than the S in that the gears will shift at a higher RPM. When you add SC on top of the GTS the difference is therefore not as noticeable compared with adding it to the S. The SC will make the car scream at an even higher RPM before shifting gears which can apparently get old quickly. Without SC, the GTS still has sport mode. I can't really speak to some of the other features that people talk about like 'individual mode'. I have driven standard my whole life and so I imagine that I will drive the car in manual mode a lot. As such, I don't know that 'individual mode' would really be that important for me.

PTV+. As was explained to me, this feature is most important in sports cars that are going to be taken to the track as it's mainly relevant during cornering and will result in slightly faster lap times. I am not going to take the Macan to the track. The benefits related to winter driving seem less certain/more theoretical. It's already 4-wheel drive. Others have been very satisfied with winter driving performance in vehicles without PTV+. I went back to my SA specifically to discuss the winter driving aspect a second time and was reassured by that discussion that I didn't need to add it.

Cargo management system. Takes up some extra space and can't be used with the winter trunk liner. My SA said they didn't really like the system. That was enough for me.

I also considered the upgraded glass. I understand that our vehicles in Canada/U.S. already come with the rear privacy glass. Others have said that the cabin without it is very quiet. On the downside, a number of people have had bad experiences with the glass affecting cell phone coverage, transponders, and other similar devices, which made leaving this out an easy decision for me.

Hope this helps. Curious what your SA said about SC and PTV+ and whether you were encouraged one way or another in terms of whether to add them.

·
Registered
528 Posts
@KotNTW,
I have both SC and PTV+ in my 2019 S, if I'd be configuring a new Macan today it would be a GTS with the same options, I'd probably add Burmester too.
I wanted SC for the red button that gives me 20s of Sport+ - I use it from time to time, lots of fun.
I haven't driven extensively any Macan without PTV+ so I cannot tell what you'll miss but I definitely notice it helping me on ramps.
With dedicated staggered 20" winter setup with Hakka R3 tires and PTV+ my Macan was rock solid this winter, I think I turned on Off Road mode only once when snow was particularly deep and I wanted 50-50 lock on wheels.
Good luck with your build!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
@Canuck - my SA doesn’t think I’ll notice the benefits of PTV+ if the purpose is winter driving and I have dedicated snow tires. I’m encouraged by Haka Rs being available for the Macan as they are my favourite winter tire manufacturer and have had them on other vehicles. I’m still torn on it, particularly after reading posts like @fooits!

As for the SC - there is some convenience associated with the dial and simple switch between driving modes. My wife probably won’t ever use Sport+ and I might just for the novelty. The real benefit, says my SA, is for resale... people looking older GTS’, he says, are of the demographic that would look for SC... who knows...

You are right - privacy glass is standard. The noise dampening is the biggest draw, but not at the expense of cell reception. SA says he hasn’t had reports of worse cell reception, but several people here have. I am leaning towards not adding this feature unless I get fully satisfied that it doesn’t create a cell reception issue.

I’m leaning towards adding SC and am on the fence on PTV+ and going the other way on the glass option.

Everything else that I’m not sure about on the build is aesthetics. SA is emailing me the “protection plan” options, which include the tires ... so depending on the cost of that plan and coverage, just might stick with the night blue wheels... otherwise will default to the black Spyder... that really just leaves the headrest (GTS stitch or embossed logo); this one is for my better half to decide!

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
@Canuck - my SA doesn’t think I’ll notice the benefits of PTV+ if the purpose is winter driving and I have dedicated snow tires. I’m encouraged by Haka Rs being available for the Macan as they are my favourite winter tire manufacturer and have had them on other vehicles. I’m still torn on it, particularly after reading posts like @fooits!

As for the SC - there is some convenience associated with the dial and simple switch between driving modes. My wife probably won’t ever use Sport+ and I might just for the novelty. The real benefit, says my SA, is for resale... people looking older GTS’, he says, are of the demographic that would look for SC... who knows...

You are right - privacy glass is standard. The noise dampening is the biggest draw, but not at the expense of cell reception. SA says he hasn’t had reports of worse cell reception, but several people here have. I am leaning towards not adding this feature unless I get fully satisfied that it doesn’t create a cell reception issue.

I’m leaning towards adding SC and am on the fence on PTV+ and going the other way on the glass option.

Everything else that I’m not sure about on the build is aesthetics. SA is emailing me the “protection plan” options, which include the tires ... so depending on the cost of that plan and coverage, just might stick with the night blue wheels... otherwise will default to the black Spyder... that really just leaves the headrest (GTS stitch or embossed logo); this one is for my better half to decide!
Sport+ is not novelty. I use it all the time when on a highway around here. I would not use for long drives but I definitely use it almost everyday. It gives a boost when passing other cars and I would definitely have it again. BTW, this one is an easy addition anytime so you don't need to order with the car.

Reactions: Fish43

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hello - first time poster here.

Putting together a GTS build for daily use in Southern Ontario, Canada... will have dedicated winters and summers, but key facts are:

1) 75% highway driving and 25% around town (suburbs) - very little urban/city driving

2) Being in Ontario, Canada - sun, snow, rain, slush, wind, etc.,

3) Primary driver is my wife who uses the radio only a little and her phone (via bluetooth or carplay) a lot (note: definitions of a lot may vary, coming from a guy who might max out on 6-7 minutes for any given phone call)

4) My wife liked the Macan S, but found it was missing any real pull ... needs a little more oomph (hence the GTS)

The build we've put together is something along the lines of:

PMAMLU32

I do have some specific questions. I will say that I've spent a bit of time on the forums (which are incredibly helpful) and I've either found conflicting messages on some of these questions or the posts are 3-4 years old so maybe looking for a refresh/confirmation of what was said.

Question 1 - Thermal/Noise Insulating Glass

I think my wife would appreciate the noise dampening features, particularly as a heavy phone user etc., However, I've read some people report that this glass reduces or cuts their cell reception. Any degradation in reception will quickly outweigh the benefits of the noise dampening... so, if true, this option would defeat the purpose in this case. Is the jury still out on whether the thermal/noise-insulating glass reduces or cuts reception? Also, she uses a toll road and transponder - similar reports on transponder signals and the need to install it in the "sweet spot" of the windshield, which I know she'd hate (aesthetically)... anyone with real-world experience?

Generally uses iPhone. Entire network is LTE. Pretty good reception to begin with, but her "normal" routes do involve some valleys etc., where weaker.

Question 2 - PTV+

This vehicle will never hit a track and the hardest cornering it will do at speed is likely the odd short-radius highway on-ramp. That said, the vehicle will be driven in the winter and in some challenging conditions... will PTV+ (or some elements of it) assist with cornering and holding lines etc., in snowy/slushy/harsh conditions? Trying to assess whether we should consider it for this reason possibly?

Question 3 - Sport Chrono

I apologize in advance to the Porsche engineers who have added launch control and the different engine mapping and suspension settings for the Sport+ option. While I might use it from time to time, I doubt my wife ever will. However, the Sport Chrono does offer the dial on the steering wheel with a completely programmable individual option, correct? Does that mean that we could set the custom individual setting to include all the cushiest, most comfortable settings? My wife would likely use the GTS in Sport from time to time and in "normal", mostly, but there could be advantages in having the dial to set everything to the most comfortable mode possible.

Two questions: (1) am I right on being able to set it up this way so that switching to complete comfort is the simple turn of a dial, instead of a bunch of button pushing?, and (2) will the forum forgive me and still let me post in the future if we go the route of adding the Sport Chrono package just for this reason?

Question 4 - Agate/Pebble Interior

Does anyone have experience with the Pebble Gray leather. The biggest issue I see with it is the dye from dark blue jeans leaching onto the seats over time. I have no problem cleaning and conditioning the seats regularly (I do this with my own car, but I have a dark tan leather so it is less obvious).

The advisor has suggested we spring for the seat centers in the darker Agate leather, but I can't get my head around this being a $2k option. Besides, we're not totally crazy about the look (we've only seen a rendering, not the real thing) and think it makes the interior look a little sportier than my wife would like. For that price, we could also get the entire vehicle (inside and out) coated with ceramic. Any thoughts on this one?

Question 5 - Load Management

I see a lot of references in the forums to the excellent load management system option, but can't find the original threads telling me why. Is this really the case (like the trailer hitch, which I've added, because of peoples' experience that it is a $2,000+ option after-the-fact for only $700 by the factory) or is it a forum inside joke?

If you do look at our build, you'll notice that we went with the 20" turbo rims painted in exterior colour. My wife isn't ready for black rims (although I kind of like the Black 20" spyder) and I tend to agree with her that silver rims just seem boring. What do you guys think about the 20" rims in blue? The dealer has never ordered a set of blue rims; the advisor is quite excited about the prospect and thinks they'll be great. I have no idea.

As with other builds - all comments welcome, not just on the questions we have!
I have a Macan S with this interior. Looks amazing but it’s only 3 months old. So I don’t know how it will hold up over time.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
We really like the interior, although it isn’t all that common where we are (people love black). Thanks for the pics! My wife would prefer nothing on the headrests - we have ordered a GTS which comes standard with GTS stitching on the headrest. My wife would prefer nothing and, ironically, nothing would cost us more than the option of the logo embossed on the headrest (which is a $700 option). We are grappling with $0 for the “GTS” stitching, $700 embossed logo and over $1k for nothing. I can’t accept paying anything for nothing so we are really grappling with GTS versus embossed logo.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I didn’t like the GTS logo on the seats either and have optioned the Porsche crest as a way to delete it. Didn’t realize that nothing was even an option. I actually like the look of the crests on the headrests.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Thanks everybody for the valuable input. While the order hasn't "locked" yet, this is where we've landed (99.9% certain - the only changes will be an aesthetic change by my wife):

PMUY6QD7

Macan GTS - we found the Macan S was missing a little bit of pull, which alone wasn't enough to switch from S to GTS. Once we optioned everything we liked on the Macan S, we found the price difference between the Macan S and GTS wasn't so big and so went with the sportier option (in fact, the Macan S was a few hundred dollars more expensive in the end).

Night Blue Metallic - personal taste

20" Turbo Wheels in Exterior Colour - leap of faith here as it was between the Black RS Spyder and these. We think they'll be unique and the night blue dark enough to cause you to think they are black except in bright conditions. The spokes should be easier to clean. A BIG consideration was repair/curb rash (thanks to a poster here for pointing that out). As it turns out, we would have purchased the premier tire/rim protection package regardless of our rim choice and the premium and coverage etc., is the same regardless of wheel choice... so we took the leap. We're still going to have to decide on a winter package, but will probably choose 19" black something for winter.

Trailer hitch - we didn't add roof rails as I can't see myself towing bikes on the roof (someone will have an accident and scratch something). Much more likely to use a bike rack on a hitch. Everyone told us to option this now at $750 rather than later at $2,000 plus.

Power Steering Plus - advised to go this route for easier parking lot driving.

Heated GT steering wheel - wife's preference both in terms of size and aesthetic (my preference, too)

Ionizer - I'll never know the difference. My wife is quite sensitive. At $390, maybe it works, maybe it doesn't.

Heatable Windscreen - we live in the Great White North.

Porsche Crest Embossed - we went back and fourth on this one. A lot. At the end of the day, my wife doesn't like the look of the stitched GTS - it is sporty and fun, in her eyes, rather than elegant... plus, she doesn't understand the meaning behind GTS, so having no meaning to her she preferred the embossed crest. Now, if the embossed crest was a no charge option relative to the stitched GTS, the decision would have been easy. Ideally, she would have preferred a stitched Porsche crest (like they have in the Maserati), and would have gladly paid the $660 for a stitched crest. Alas, we sucked it up and paid $660 to not get the stitched GTS.

Sportdesign Side Mirrors - personal preference (plus I'm glad not to have the plastic black carriage)

Sport Chrono - I'm glad we went with it. I think we'll use the Sport+ and other features more than I anticipated earlier, but a big perk is the easy dial to switch between modes.

Adaptive Cruise Control - my wife is not likely to use ACC and I may once in a while. What sold me, though, is that the addition of the ACC radar means we have forward collision warning and active brake assist. That feature alone is worth the cost of ACC to me (they might label this one differently for people like me who might think that the label describes the option :)

Smoking Package - we're not smokers, but the cover in the centre console completes a clean look for us

Seat belts in Agate - its about the look here

Premium Plus Package w 14-way seats - the "optionable" things here are the 14-way versus 18-way and lane-keep versus lane-change assist. My wife found the 14 way seats more comfortable. She is petite, so it wasn't a snugness issue. Rather, she found the 18-way seats to be firmer in general. She liked how she felt hugged by the seats, but wished they were a little softer/cushier. The lane-keep we avoided because we would turn it off if we had it.

Side Blades in Exterior Colour - personal preference

Items we did not go with:

PVT+ - maybe we'll miss it, maybe we won't. Our motivation would have been winter driving and the vast majority of people we polled assured us that the Macan GTS with a set of 19" winters (e.g. Nokian Hakka, I hope!) will be quite sure footed in winter conditions.

Instrument dials and clock in white - I liked it, my wife didn't. Guess who wins?

Insulated/Noise/Privacy Glass - the windows already come tinted in the rear as it is. While I was quite keen on the noise cancelling/dampening properties, we got spooked out by the reports that the glass cuts cell reception and makes the use of transponders challenging unless installed in the right place (and we don't typically like to adhere our transponders to any part of the windshield as it is, let alone a specific part - we keep them in the console and they work)

21 - 29 of 29 Posts