Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello - first time poster here.

Putting together a GTS build for daily use in Southern Ontario, Canada... will have dedicated winters and summers, but key facts are:

1) 75% highway driving and 25% around town (suburbs) - very little urban/city driving

2) Being in Ontario, Canada - sun, snow, rain, slush, wind, etc.,

3) Primary driver is my wife who uses the radio only a little and her phone (via bluetooth or carplay) a lot (note: definitions of a lot may vary, coming from a guy who might max out on 6-7 minutes for any given phone call)

4) My wife liked the Macan S, but found it was missing any real pull ... needs a little more oomph (hence the GTS)

The build we've put together is something along the lines of:

PMAMLU32

I do have some specific questions. I will say that I've spent a bit of time on the forums (which are incredibly helpful) and I've either found conflicting messages on some of these questions or the posts are 3-4 years old so maybe looking for a refresh/confirmation of what was said.

Question 1 - Thermal/Noise Insulating Glass

I think my wife would appreciate the noise dampening features, particularly as a heavy phone user etc., However, I've read some people report that this glass reduces or cuts their cell reception. Any degradation in reception will quickly outweigh the benefits of the noise dampening... so, if true, this option would defeat the purpose in this case. Is the jury still out on whether the thermal/noise-insulating glass reduces or cuts reception? Also, she uses a toll road and transponder - similar reports on transponder signals and the need to install it in the "sweet spot" of the windshield, which I know she'd hate (aesthetically)... anyone with real-world experience?

Generally uses iPhone. Entire network is LTE. Pretty good reception to begin with, but her "normal" routes do involve some valleys etc., where weaker.

Question 2 - PTV+

This vehicle will never hit a track and the hardest cornering it will do at speed is likely the odd short-radius highway on-ramp. That said, the vehicle will be driven in the winter and in some challenging conditions... will PTV+ (or some elements of it) assist with cornering and holding lines etc., in snowy/slushy/harsh conditions? Trying to assess whether we should consider it for this reason possibly?

Question 3 - Sport Chrono

I apologize in advance to the Porsche engineers who have added launch control and the different engine mapping and suspension settings for the Sport+ option. While I might use it from time to time, I doubt my wife ever will. However, the Sport Chrono does offer the dial on the steering wheel with a completely programmable individual option, correct? Does that mean that we could set the custom individual setting to include all the cushiest, most comfortable settings? My wife would likely use the GTS in Sport from time to time and in "normal", mostly, but there could be advantages in having the dial to set everything to the most comfortable mode possible.

Two questions: (1) am I right on being able to set it up this way so that switching to complete comfort is the simple turn of a dial, instead of a bunch of button pushing?, and (2) will the forum forgive me and still let me post in the future if we go the route of adding the Sport Chrono package just for this reason?

Question 4 - Agate/Pebble Interior

Does anyone have experience with the Pebble Gray leather. The biggest issue I see with it is the dye from dark blue jeans leaching onto the seats over time. I have no problem cleaning and conditioning the seats regularly (I do this with my own car, but I have a dark tan leather so it is less obvious).

The advisor has suggested we spring for the seat centers in the darker Agate leather, but I can't get my head around this being a $2k option. Besides, we're not totally crazy about the look (we've only seen a rendering, not the real thing) and think it makes the interior look a little sportier than my wife would like. For that price, we could also get the entire vehicle (inside and out) coated with ceramic. Any thoughts on this one?

Question 5 - Load Management

I see a lot of references in the forums to the excellent load management system option, but can't find the original threads telling me why. Is this really the case (like the trailer hitch, which I've added, because of peoples' experience that it is a $2,000+ option after-the-fact for only $700 by the factory) or is it a forum inside joke?

If you do look at our build, you'll notice that we went with the 20" turbo rims painted in exterior colour. My wife isn't ready for black rims (although I kind of like the Black 20" spyder) and I tend to agree with her that silver rims just seem boring. What do you guys think about the 20" rims in blue? The dealer has never ordered a set of blue rims; the advisor is quite excited about the prospect and thinks they'll be great. I have no idea.

As with other builds - all comments welcome, not just on the questions we have!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Build looks nice. Personally, I'd change a couple things. Keep the GTS embossing on the headrests, a bit more exclusive. Keep the seatbelts stock color and go with the normal heated steering wheel. With the savings, add ACC. The automatic braking is quite handy in a distracted moment. Sorry, not much help for your questions, mine doesn't have any of those options, so I can't speak to them. I did add a stealth hitch to mine, which is quite nice and invisible until you use it. Good Luck

·
Registered
116 Posts
PTV is a must, even if you don't drive on a track, you drive on snow!
Agate interior is nice. It's cooler in the summer than black. It also has a different look in various light conditions!

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have the Sport Chrono option and I set the Individual mode to "comfortable" on suspension but "sport +" for acceleration. It is very convenient to switch the dial on the steering wheel from "O" to "I" and it's even better to push the center button on the dial that gives you 20 seconds of adrenaline rush moment!

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
@KotNTW I just love looking at new builds! It looks like you have built a beautiful new Macan for your wife.

I kind of like the midnight blue on the wheels, it adds a little bit of color, but doesn't scream look at me like if I was going to do mine in Mamba Green.

I just emailed my SA and added the Noise Insulation glass to my build. Some wise members suggested that I should add it to my build especially since I am adding the Burmester system.

I didn't add PTV+ to my first one, but added it to my new build. I found this group after my build locked and PTV+ was one thing I was kicking myself for not getting the first time around. As @Wolverine noted you will need it for the winters.

I totally agree with @mac_flyer9 about adding ACC. I really never would use cruise control in my cars until I had it in my GTS. It is a game changer, and now that I am driving a car without ACC I am totally missing it.

I had sport chrono on my old one, and have added it to my new build. Now I never used the launch control feature, but did love to put in sport plus from time to time and enjoyed the ride.

I had a tow hitch on the old one, and have one added to my new build. I never towed a thing, but liked having it, and when I was rear ended the tow hitch bar in the bumper took the brunt of the impact. Now unfortunately my beloved GTS was still totaled and this is why I building a new GTS.

Here is an option that is not to much, the cargo management system. Here in the states its like 390 dollars and again it is a factory added option. @wspollack loves his, and it is from his recommendation that I added it to my new build.

Reactions: wspollack

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all so far for the feedback.

@mac_flyer9 - you make a great point about the headrest and my wife agrees... she thinks we might want to stick with the GTS because of the exclusivity. She will need to have another look. As for the seat belt colour and steering wheel - seat belt colour is about the aesthetics. The GT steering wheel is two things: (1) smaller size and narrower grip, and (2) less aluminum/chrome in the top edge area - she immediately commented about the reflection (which, ironically, I’ve read about here after-the-fact).

@Wolverine1 - that’s the conclusion I’m coming to on PTV+. Seems like there are handling enhancements that help in slippery conditions. Was looking for a confirmation or two... she won’t drive the vehicle particularly hard (although, that’s only my experience driving with her... who knows, maybe she’s a mad woman driving solo!)

@jacobt - that’s the sort of confirmation I was after. Admittedly, I don’t know what you’re referring to with pushing the button and the next 20 seconds?

@Jellybean - a lot to think about there. If she were an audiophile and we went with the better audio system then I would definitely go with that glass. My motivation is for quieter cabin for phone calls, but not if it comes at the cost of dropped calls from time to time - that little detail might make her hate the car. Big risk!

I think what I’m hearing is: add ACC, PTV+ and SportChrono. Jury is still out on the benefit/detriment of the glass given the motivation for it.

I think our advisor owes you guys a cut of his commission. Comments in other threads are right - you tend to end up ticking more boxes after these conversations than less.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
The GT steering wheel is two things: (1) smaller size and narrower grip....
Who told you the GT steering wheel was thinner than the stock Macan steering wheel? None of the reviews or posts on this site that I've read have stated that....only that the GT steering wheel is smaller in diameter than the standard steering wheel.

"Exclusive sport-style steering wheel. Steering wheel rim, gear selector and gear selector gate in leather. Steering wheel diameter: 360mm. With shift paddles for manual gear changes and activation of the steering wheel heating via the control button on the steering wheel."

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My wife said it based on trying out both the standard and GT wheel. She may have been mistaken if it isn’t actually narrower/thinner... it could be the case that the smaller diameter and different touch points/angle made her believe it has a narrower grip if it doesn’t really... or told me she prefers the “narrower grip” when she was really feeling the effect of a smaller diameter... Either way - she likes the look and feel of the GT...

·
Registered
200 Posts
Thanks all so far for the feedback.

@mac_flyer9 - you make a great point about the headrest and my wife agrees... she thinks we might want to stick with the GTS because of the exclusivity. She will need to have another look. As for the seat belt colour and steering wheel - seat belt colour is about the aesthetics. The GT steering wheel is two things: (1) smaller size and narrower grip, and (2) less aluminum/chrome in the top edge area - she immediately commented about the reflection (which, ironically, I’ve read about here after-the-fact).

@Wolverine1 - that’s the conclusion I’m coming to on PTV+. Seems like there are handling enhancements that help in slippery conditions. Was looking for a confirmation or two... she won’t drive the vehicle particularly hard (although, that’s only my experience driving with her... who knows, maybe she’s a mad woman driving solo!)

@jacobt - that’s the sort of confirmation I was after. Admittedly, I don’t know what you’re referring to with pushing the button and the next 20 seconds?

@Jellybean - a lot to think about there. If she were an audiophile and we went with the better audio system then I would definitely go with that glass. My motivation is for quieter cabin for phone calls, but not if it comes at the cost of dropped calls from time to time - that little detail might make her hate the car. Big risk!

I think what I’m hearing is: add ACC, PTV+ and SportChrono. Jury is still out on the benefit/detriment of the glass given the motivation for it.

I think our advisor owes you guys a cut of his commission. Comments in other threads are right - you tend to end up ticking more boxes after these conversations than less.
This is what I was talking about. Do some more study on the Porsche Sport Chrono, it's available for 2019 and up Macan models
  • SPORT Response Button with performance-oriented settings for engine and transmission at the touch of a button (20 second duration)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi @KotNTW,
Fellow Southern Ontario driver here. Lots of hiway commuting and then some puttering around town. I ultimately decided against the Sport Chrono after discussing with my SA because the GTS has significant sport tuning differences as compared with the Macan S and therefore the SC is a bit over the top in terms of what you get. This made sense to me when explained. SA doesn't benefit by me spending less money on options as well... I also considered PTV+ seriously and after receiving feedback from both SA as well as other winter drivers on this forum considered against it. It seems the Macan drives well without it. Winter tires are probably a better investment. Also looked at Cargo Load Management system and decided against it. My order went in a couple of weeks ago so looking at similar data/reports for decision making in terms of time frame.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts

Putting together a GTS build for daily use in Southern Ontario, Canada... will have dedicated winters and summers, but key facts are:

1) 75% highway driving and 25% around town (suburbs) - very little urban/city driving

3) Primary driver is my wife who uses the radio only a little and her phone (via bluetooth or carplay) a lot (note: definitions of a lot may vary, coming from a guy who might max out on 6-7 minutes for any given phone call)

4) My wife liked the Macan S, but found it was missing any real pull ... needs a little more oomph (hence the GTS)

PMAMLU32

I do have some specific questions. I will say that I've spent a bit of time on the forums (which are incredibly helpful) and I've either found conflicting messages on some of these questions or the posts are 3-4 years old so maybe looking for a refresh/confirmation of what was said.

I think my wife would appreciate the noise dampening features, particularly as a heavy phone user etc., However, I've read some people report that this glass reduces or cuts their cell reception. Any degradation in reception will quickly outweigh the benefits of the noise dampening... so, if true, this option would defeat the purpose in this case. Is the jury still out on whether the thermal/noise-insulating glass reduces or cuts reception? Also, she uses a toll road and transponder - similar reports on transponder signals and the need to install it in the "sweet spot" of the windshield, which I know she'd hate (aesthetically)... anyone with real-world experience?

Generally uses iPhone. Entire network is LTE. Pretty good reception to begin with, but her "normal" routes do involve some valleys etc., where weaker.

Question 2 - PTV+

This vehicle will never hit a track and the hardest cornering it will do at speed is likely the odd short-radius highway on-ramp. That said, the vehicle will be driven in the winter and in some challenging conditions... will PTV+ (or some elements of it) assist with cornering and holding lines etc., in snowy/slushy/harsh conditions? Trying to assess whether we should consider it for this reason possibly?

I apologize in advance to the Porsche engineers who have added launch control and the different engine mapping and suspension settings for the Sport+ option. While I might use it from time to time, I doubt my wife ever will. However, the Sport Chrono does offer the dial on the steering wheel with a completely programmable individual option, correct? Does that mean that we could set the custom individual setting to include all the cushiest, most comfortable settings? My wife would likely use the GTS in Sport from time to time and in "normal", mostly, but there could be advantages in having the dial to set everything to the most comfortable mode possible.

Two questions: (1) am I right on being able to set it up this way so that switching to complete comfort is the simple turn of a dial, instead of a bunch of button pushing?, and (2) will the forum forgive me and still let me post in the future if we go the route of adding the Sport Chrono package just for this reason?

Does anyone have experience with the Pebble Gray leather. The biggest issue I see with it is the dye from dark blue jeans leaching onto the seats over time. I have no problem cleaning and conditioning the seats regularly (I do this with my own car, but I have a dark tan leather so it is less obvious).

The advisor has suggested we spring for the seat centers in the darker Agate leather, but I can't get my head around this being a $2k option. Besides, we're not totally crazy about the look (we've only seen a rendering, not the real thing) and think it makes the interior look a little sportier than my wife would like. For that price, we could also get the entire vehicle (inside and out) coated with ceramic. Any thoughts on this one?

I see a lot of references in the forums to the excellent load management system option, but can't find the original threads telling me why. Is this really the case (like the trailer hitch, which I've added, because of peoples' experience that it is a $2,000+ option after-the-fact for only $700 by the factory) or is it a forum inside joke?

If you do look at our build, you'll notice that we went with the 20" turbo rims painted in exterior colour. My wife isn't ready for black rims (although I kind of like the Black 20" spyder) and I tend to agree with her that silver rims just seem boring. What do you guys think about the 20" rims in blue? The dealer has never ordered a set of blue rims; the advisor is quite excited about the prospect and thinks they'll be great. I have no idea.

Silver wheels are going to be easy to fix. Stuff happens. Blue is exciting at first glance, but reality comes in.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@wwahl - you make an excellent point. The biggest risk is going to be curb rash. Will check with my SA and the rim repair shop I've used before to see what they say about touching these ones up and fixing rim rash.

I'm also going to inspect my wife's current car to see how dinged up her rims are. I've never had them touched up...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@Canuck - you and I are very similarly situated. Can I pick your brains on the SC and PTV+ in terms of some of the pros and cons you went through?

·
Registered
218 Posts
For your question on pebble/agate interior, I have this interior with 18 way sport seats on my volcano ‘17 GTS. 2 times I have noticed a slight staining on the driver outermost bolster which has come right off. I regularly Clean and condition The leather. I definitely would not spring for the agate center, our centers have never got stained or dirty. The outer bolster On the bottom is the only area that I have had to pay attention to. Also the driver door handle pull on the door gets stained over time from hands, after almost 4 years I just replaced the handle because it was stained and shiny. It would have been better if I didn’t grab the handle one day not realizing I had a little grease on my hand which really yellowed the leather after cleaning it off, that’s my fault. Replacement piece was just under $200.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Thermal/Noise Insulating Glass ... I wish Porsche would quantify the degree of sound damping in decibels. Anything less than a 3 db would not be worth it.

·
Registered
2020 Macan GTS, Sapphire Blue Metallic, AgateGrey/Pebble w Carbon Fiber
18 Posts

Re Sport Chrono - I would not order a GTS without it, this is a performance vehicle. The most comfortable settings, as you call them are in the normal mode. Sport and Sport+ Dial up the various response settings And activate the Sport exhaust (which you can enable in normal mode as well. I use the individual setting to set up like Jacobt.
Re Agate/Pebble I have this interior with carbon fibre, and it is beautiful. If you do normal seat cleaning maintenance like you describe you will have no problems. This is my third vehicle since 2008 with “white seats“ and they all were all easy to maintain.

PMAMLU32

Question 2 - PTV+

Re Sport Chrono - I would not order a GTS without it, this is a performance vehicle. The most comfortable settings, as you call them are in the normal mode. Sport and Sport+ dial up the various response settings and activate the Sport exhaust (which you can enable in normal mode as well.) I use the individual setting to set up like Jacobt.
Re Agate/Pebble I have this interior with carbon fibre, and it is beautiful. If you do normal seat cleaning maintenance like you describe you will have no problems. This is my third vehicle since 2008 with “white seats“ and they all were all easy to maintain.

·
Registered
2020 Macan GTS
152 Posts
Agree on SC. Why move up to the sportiest Macan and not finish it off?

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
PTV - In my opinion is a nice to have but not a must. Anyone saying PTV is a must are probably not comfortable enough to drive in the snow or icy conditions and wants the best tools out there to help. I live in MN so no need to add much in terms of winter here. I have been driving here for 15 years on Infiniti, Jeep, Mercedes and several BMWs. I have to say that my Macan WITHOUT PTV is the best car I ever driven in snow and icy conditions. Don't get me wrong, many here have PTV and say it will make driving in winter conditions better but in my opinion it is not a must have option.

Reactions: Canuck

·
Super Moderator
1,973 Posts
I'd say forget the thermal/noise insulating glass.

The Macan is incredibly quiet! I have the sport exhaust option and, with it defeated, cannot
hear the exhaust note at all!

Go for the PTV+ for the snowy weather in the GTA!

Oh - and the logo on the headrests? I have it on my front seats only - and rarely even see it!
When you get into the car, you're looking forward. Once seated, your head is blocking the view of the headrest!
I bought mine CPO, so it came that way. I wouldn't be too thrilled if I had spent extra $ for the option...

Good luck!

·
Registered
2020 Macan S Sapphire Blue, Steel Built 02/20.
80 Posts
T Dot here too. Some quick comments.
Save some money. Drop the PTV, insulating glass, embossed headrests, sport chrono. Get the heated steering wheel and heated windshield for sure. Don't need the load management system either.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts