Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went for a 10K Mile Service for my 2020 Macan S & Porsche Dealer performed Wheel Alignment and ended-up charging me $275+ Incl. taxes. without my confirmation to go ahead. Was it the fair Charge($250+)? When I look at Firestone Auto Care, they are providing Lifetime Wheel Alignment for just $199?

Also I’m due for my Winter Tire(running Summer tires now) swap next week. So, do I need to go for Alignment again?

What do you guys think?

Thanks!

·
Registered
207 Posts
I went for a 10K Mile Service for my 2020 Macan S & Porsche Dealer performed Wheel Alignment and ended-up charging me $275+ Incl. taxes. without my confirmation to go ahead. Was it the fair Charge($250+)? When I look at Firestone Auto Care, they are providing Lifetime Wheel Alignment for just $199?

Also I’m due for my Winter Tire(running Summer tires now) swap next week. So, do I need to go for Alignment again?

What do you guys think?

Thanks!
You do not need an alignment after swapping tires and/or wheels.

As for the alignment pricing, that’s the reality of Porsche dealer labor rates...save yourself a bunch of money by doing the upcoming wheel swap yourself; I’m curious what they charge for the act of removing 4 wheels and putting 4 other ones on.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts

What do you guys think?

Thanks!
Sounds about right for an alignment on a Macan, not cool they performed the alignment without asking first. The price is higher than a normal alignment because they also have to re-calibrate the front windshield camera afterwards. Alignments are only necessary if you have unusual tire wear or the vehicle is pulling to one side....you don't necessary need an alignment just because you are swapping tires.

I paid about that for an alignment on my 2018 GTS a year ago.

·
Registered
2018 MACAN GTS BLACK/BLACK
18 Posts

What do you guys think?

Thanks!
I just had Firestone change over my All seasons for my new Winter tires. $85.00 and I told them not to do an alignment. Not suggested on this forum so I didn't have it done.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Firestone charges less than $100 and do an excellent job. Complete and total rip-off if dealer is trying to charge $275. I’d refuse to pay it, especially if they did it without asking.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts

What do you guys think?

Thanks!
I'm puzzled by a few things here:

- You note that you "went for a 10K Mile Service." Was this your first 10K service, i.e., with the odometer at c. 10,000 miles? The service that has the free oil change and inspection?

If that's the case, I can't see how, under normal circumstances, you'd need an alignment anyway. Now, if you hit a giant pothole, or complained that the car wasn't tracking straight, or something along those lines, it might be a different story. Did you complain about anything like that?

- A dealership's performing work like that -- the alignment -- without first asking your permission, or otherwise discussing with you, seems unconscionable to me. It might even be illegal; it's certainly unethical, and I would complain about that mightily to the general manager.

- I have purchased three sets of tires for my Macan, and all from my local dealership. The first set was in Nov. 2017, a month or so after my wife and I took delivery of the car (at the Atlanta PEC, and we did not order the car from our local dealer), and was a set of snow tires, along with a set of Porsche wheels for them. The second set was this past spring, when our stock all-seasons were about worn out. The third set was a new set of the snow tires, last month, as that first set of snows was about worn out, and I wanted a fresh set for this winter.

I wanted to be that detailed before I laid this on you: at no time has the dealership (or anyone else) performed an alignment on the car. In addition to those tire sets, that also goes for the 10,000- (the free one), 20,000- 30,000-, and 40,000-mile services I've had performed at the dealership (the car now has 47,000 miles on it).

The car tracks fine, winter and non-winter, there's no visible inner vs. outer treadwear differences that I can see, and so forth. I guess my point here is that an alignment is hardly routine, at least at my sole local dealership (which is certainly out to make money, is not in a competitive environment, etc.).

So I think: 1) I would express my dissatisfaction to the management of that dealership, regarding both that the alignment was done -- I'd demand to know why -- and, especially, that it was presented to you as a fait accompli, and; 2) I would think twice about using them again, for anything, unless the logistics of the situation preclude that.

·
Super Moderator
2,354 Posts
If you paid for the 10K service using a credit card you can file a dispute over the alignment charge
with the credit card company. They will withhold that portion of payment to the vendor (dealer).

Good luck!

·
Registered
240 Posts
A dealer or any other shop can't charge you for work you didn't approve, they must get your confirmation via email or phone as (at least at the dealer) they record all conversations.
If they didn't confirm and you did not requested an alignment you are good to go without paying for it.
On the other hand considering that they charge around $220 an hour, the $250 is not a crazy amount for an alignment, if your car needs one and you requested it.

·
Premium Member
570 Posts
Probably save you $100 at a good local indie Porsche shop.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm puzzled by a few things here:

- You note that you "went for a 10K Mile Service." Was this your first 10K service, i.e., with the odometer at c. 10,000 miles? The service that has the free oil change and inspection?

If that's the case, I can't see how, under normal circumstances, you'd need an alignment anyway. Now, if you hit a giant pothole, or complained that the car wasn't tracking straight, or something along those lines, it might be a different story. Did you complain about anything like that?

- A dealership's performing work like that -- the alignment -- without first asking your permission, or otherwise discussing with you, seems unconscionable to me. It might even be illegal; it's certainly unethical, and I would complain about that mightily to the general manager.

- I have purchased three sets of tires for my Macan, and all from my local dealership. The first set was in Nov. 2017, a month or so after my wife and I took delivery of the car (at the Atlanta PEC, and we did not order the car from our local dealer), and was a set of snow tires, along with a set of Porsche wheels for them. The second set was this past spring, when our stock all-seasons were about worn out. The third set was a new set of the snow tires, last month, as that first set of snows was about worn out, and I wanted a fresh set for this winter.

I wanted to be that detailed before I laid this on you: at no time has the dealership (or anyone else) performed an alignment on the car. In addition to those tire sets, that also goes for the 10,000- (the free one), 20,000- 30,000-, and 40,000-mile services I've had performed at the dealership (the car now has 47,000 miles on it).

The car tracks fine, winter and non-winter, there's no visible inner vs. outer treadwear differences that I can see, and so forth. I guess my point here is that an alignment is hardly routine, at least at my sole local dealership (which is certainly out to make money, is not in a competitive environment, etc.).

So I think: 1) I would express my dissatisfaction to the management of that dealership, regarding both that the alignment was done -- I'd demand to know why -- and, especially, that it was presented to you as a fait accompli, and; 2) I would think twice about using them again, for anything, unless the logistics of the situation preclude that.
Thanks for the response. I did mention them to check if the Steering alignment is straight or not. But looks like they did verify & found that the Right Side Front/Back wheel Campers are slightly out of alignment and they fixed it without informing me that it’s gone charge me $250+. When asked later, Service advisor says they failed to check with me before performing it & I’m responsible for the charges

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A dealer or any other shop can't charge you for work you didn't approve, they must get your confirmation via email or phone as (at least at the dealer) they record all conversations.
If they didn't confirm and you did not requested an alignment you are good to go without paying for it.
On the other hand considering that they charge around $220 an hour, the $250 is not a crazy amount for an alignment, if your car needs one and you requested it.
I did request them to check anything wrong with steering wheel but they ended for performing wheel alignment & charged me.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Firestone charges less than $100 and do an excellent job. Complete and total rip-off if dealer is trying to charge $275. I’d refuse to pay it, especially if they did it without asking.
@Masscan mentioned that they do need to re-calibrate the Windshield camera after the wheel alignment.
So, not sure if Firestone can perform it. Do you have any Info on that?

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Personally I'd just chalk it up to inexperience and move on.

You asked them to check the steering wheel, so it seems to me you thought something was amiss. The dealership then put it up on the alignment rack (as most repair shops would do with this type of complaint), they found your alignment was off, and they fixed it. Unfortunately they did not warn you first about the $250+ alignment cost, and the price obviously caught you by surprise....which really shouldn't have because....well this is a Porsche.

In my opinion, you got off cheap compared to had they found something REALLY expensive not covered under warranty, that and it's not worth starting a war with the dealership over a measly $250+ charge to correct an actual issue with your PORSCHE that most likely saved you money down the road when it comes to purchasing new tires too soon.

·
Registered
215 Posts
When the Porsche dealership did my TCC oil leak repair they did a 4-wheel alignment as part of the job.....

·
Super Moderator
2,354 Posts
I did request them to check anything wrong with steering wheel but they ended for performing wheel alignment & charged me.
This is sounding more and more like a kind of implicit permission. You requested an investigation, they found issues
and corrected them. They did not explicitly contact you and inform you of what they found and the remedy they were
applying.

So, you did not grant permission to perform an alignment.

I'd still go the credit card dispute route.

If the dealership goes without payment for performing work that was not authorized, maybe the next time they'll call
or text the customer BEFORE performing service operations.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Yeah, my two cents....before turning draconian and say 'NOT PAYING' in some form or another as many have suggested, would just ask to speak to the SM. Kindly just explain the situation, maybe things can be worked out, maybe some credit for the nxt visit....SOMETHING...before you start burning bridges....maybe this is the only P dealer around locally, guessing if you're act like an arse; the P dealer will get the last laugh in the long run.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Depends on the wording of the service authorization you signed. Based on what you've shared, I'd expect to pay a diagnostic fee (for your steering wheel concern) but any additional cost/expense should be approved before incurring.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts