Porsche Macan Forum banner

41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had a 2017 Macan S, ironically rear ended by another Macan. The other than a “wrinkle” in the hatch and some damage under the bumper nothing very visible. The other driver was going no more than 10 mph. As it turned out about $9,000 in body damage and then the Porsche dealer found that the accident caused damage to the differential-another $1,800. When the car was repaired it looked like new and you could not tell it was in an accident based on the way it drove. That said, my car never looked any where as bad as yours (sorry) and I had no front end damage. Based on my accident and the amount of my damage I would say your damage is north of $25k.

BTW, I am an attorney. Uninsured motorist coverage is meant to cover you for the pain and suffering (the special damages you incur as a result of the accident)-that is why there are limits on UM coverage. The repairs, or if your car is totaled, will be covered under your collision coverage. Some policies will have a deductible waiver if the other driver is uninsured. Hope this helps. Good luck. Remember, it is a car and can be replaced. Everyone is safe. That is the important thing.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
You may call me evil but I have no sympathy for people that have no insurance. The point in having insurance is not just to protect me but to protect others. I understand the Macan is expensive but can you imagine if a moron hits a 911, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Bugatti? And we are only talking about loss of a car I cannot imagine if someone was hurt or killed. He would ruin his life and his family's forever since this is the "Land of Lawsuit" and any insurance company would go after even his dreams to get their money back.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Really sorry about what happened to your Macan. You are probably looking at $25k to $30k of repairs which is a lot less than the value of the car. I doubt the insurance will write it off unless the body shop comes with a much higher estimate. Diminished value would be something else which you would have to deal with.

Agreed that this will not be totaled by the insurance company, especially given the current value of the Macan. My old Audi had much worst rear end damage and was $17.5k in damages since the front was fine, and insurance refused to total even though the value was less than $22k. For diminshed value, they clearly stated they do not offer anything for it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Insurance Pro

My MY18 GTS was parked on the street, my wife and I were at a park nearby. I heard the accident and immediately ran over... just had a feeling it would be my car that was hit :|

The driver of the 2013 Kia Soul was uninsured. The police was on-site very quickly and took all their details.

I have comprehensive insurance, but with how much damage has been done, I'd rather have it written off.

I guess I have a few questions for you guys:

1. Does this look like a write-off?

2. If they do repair it, how do they account for value that I will inevitably lose in a resale given the extent of the damage?

3. Any general advice? I've never been in an accident before in my 20 years of driving... I have the police case number, I have a file started with my insurance, not sure what else I should be getting at this point.

To begin, I work for a major insurance company and I am currently licensed for personal lines (Home, Auto, Umbrella, etc) in New Jersey. I should be licensed in at least 6 states by the end of August. With that said...

1) It is hard to say about the write-off. It all depends on the underlying damage. If none of your airbags deployed (they shouldn't when parked/off), I would say 50/50. If any air bags went off, I would say there is a good chance it is totaled.

2) The insurance company will not offer the depreciated value, but they should give you the amount of depreciation if you ask for it. Remember, insurance is there to return you to 'whole' financially. You may want to go to some of those "Cash for Cars" places and get the value of your Macan with and w/out accident damage. Unfortunately a lawyer would probably get you the best reimbursement, but you will then have to pay the lawyer.

3) It sounds like you have just about everything you need at this time. For the most part your claims adjuster will walk you through the process. Tip: Insurance companies cannot force you to use their 'preferred' body shop in most states.

As for your coverage, there are a few things I wanted to clear up. First, comprehensive coverage is for anything other than a collision. If your car catches fire, your car is caught in a flood, tree falls on the car, etc. Generally, the only type of collision that is under comprehensive coverage is with an animal (deer, livestock, etc).

Depending on your state and your coverage, this would go through one of two types of coverage. The first is collision coverage. As a car vs car accident, collision would be the coverage to pay for your truck's repairs, minus your deductible. It would also pay for your truck if it is deemed a total loss, minus your deductible.

The second coverage which is offered in some states, but not others, is Uninsured/Under-insured Property Damage. This covers damage to your vehicle in this situation or if it was a hit-and-run. Collision would pick up your claim if this coverage isn't offered or has not been selected with your policy. Be careful when you look at your policy as most auto policies have uninsured/under-insured Bodily Injury. That obviously pays for you or your passenger's injuries due to this type of accident.

As a heads up, you will want your insurance company to collect as much as they are paying out as possible. Even though it is technically a 'not at fault' accident, you will likely still see some type of surcharge/tier rating change due to the payout. If the accident is charged, it would be a lot less than if the accident was your fault. I just thought I would mention it since most people don't think about that impact.

Good luck with your Macan and feel free to PM me any general insurance questions.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
The one thing I have going for me is that Macans in Canada are way cheaper than in the US... like 14% cheaper new.
My GTS was 84k CAD which is ~$64k USD, but same spec in the US would've been ~$74k USD if my memory is correct.

Looking at the used market for a MY18 GTS in Canada, the car is likely worth 65-75k CAD, so call it 49-58k USD.

75% of value would put the threshold at 36,750 - 43,500 USD for the repairs to get it over the line a write off. This accident took place in SF, so the repair will be in USD.

Going to a Porsche certified mechanic and OEM parts should get it close... I can't see it being under 30k USD considering there's front and rear damage. The front alone is likely around $10-15k as both the hood and bumper is toast, and there was coolant leaking everywhere so I'm there will be plenty of internals that need replacing.

For the rear, the cross brace is bent out of shape, but I'm guessing that's probably what it's meant to do if hit from behind? I outlined it in the pic below.

I think it's definitely north of $30k USD... if it's north of 45k USD I'm pretty sure it's fully written off, just a question of if we get there or not. I paid for the depreciation waiver/gap insurance, so I'm sure they're gong to angling hard to have it repaired.

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
To begin, I work for a major insurance company and I am currently licensed for personal lines (Home, Auto, Umbrella, etc) in New Jersey. I should be licensed in at least 6 states by the end of August. With that said...

1) It is hard to say about the write-off. It all depends on the underlying damage. If none of your airbags deployed (they shouldn't when parked/off), I would say 50/50. If any air bags went off, I would say there is a good chance it is totaled.

2) The insurance company will not offer the depreciated value, but they should give you the amount of depreciation if you ask for it. Remember, insurance is there to return you to 'whole' financially. You may want to go to some of those "Cash for Cars" places and get the value of your Macan with and w/out accident damage. Unfortunately a lawyer would probably get you the best reimbursement, but you will then have to pay the lawyer.

3) It sounds like you have just about everything you need at this time. For the most part your claims adjuster will walk you through the process. Tip: Insurance companies cannot force you to use their 'preferred' body shop in most states.

As for your coverage, there are a few things I wanted to clear up. First, comprehensive coverage is for anything other than a collision. If your car catches fire, your car is caught in a flood, tree falls on the car, etc. Generally, the only type of collision that is under comprehensive coverage is with an animal (deer, livestock, etc).

Depending on your state and your coverage, this would go through one of two types of coverage. The first is collision coverage. As a car vs car accident, collision would be the coverage to pay for your truck's repairs, minus your deductible. It would also pay for your truck if it is deemed a total loss, minus your deductible.

The second coverage which is offered in some states, but not others, is Uninsured/Under-insured Property Damage. This covers damage to your vehicle in this situation or if it was a hit-and-run. Collision would pick up your claim if this coverage isn't offered or has not been selected with your policy. Be careful when you look at your policy as most auto policies have uninsured/under-insured Bodily Injury. That obviously pays for you or your passenger's injuries due to this type of accident.

As a heads up, you will want your insurance company to collect as much as they are paying out as possible. Even though it is technically a 'not at fault' accident, you will likely still see some type of surcharge/tier rating change due to the payout. If the accident is charged, it would be a lot less than if the accident was your fault. I just thought I would mention it since most people don't think about that impact.

Good luck with your Macan and feel free to PM me any general insurance questions.
Thanks for the clarifications on collision vs. comprehensive vs. uninsured. I have collision + comprehensive!

With regards to getting a lawyer involved... I'm really hoping it just goes straight to a write off, but if not, I might want to go the legal route. I think the difference in repair vs replacement for me is around $40,000 ($90k CAD replacement (MSRP+taxes) vs $50kCAD fair value if repaired. I don't want to seem unreasonable to the insurance company, but if the repair estimate is close to the threshold but doesn't quite make it over, I may need to get your advice on when to get a lawyer involved.

I was informed that I would have to pay the $1000 deductible if it goes the repair route, and that they will sue the uninsured driver to recoup what they can. However, I don't think they'll see a penny out of them... so if it goes the repair route, I would be out of pocket for the $1000 (CAD, thankfully).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Of course be grateful no one was injured.

Do heed the advice of hiring a diminished value attorney AND DON’T WASTE ANY TIME DOING IT. Do it now.

Several years ago I had a NJ State Trooper drive right into the front of me in a pristine, new-to-me Cayman S (2600 miles) and my not acting fast enough caused me to forfeit any claims against the state, even though they admitted 100% fault.

Trouble here is, Who are you going to sue for DV? The driver appears not to have much...and they don’t have an insurance company to pursue, which is the usual suspect.

Unfortunately, unless you have agreed value, you likely won’t recover full value to replace. Hate to sound pessimistic but it’s likely the case.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Quick question: I had the dealer throw in Xpel Ultimate on the front end of the car, I should be able to push for that being included in the repair bill right? It was $1500 CAD if I recall correctly.

Of course be grateful no one was injured.

Do heed the advice of hiring a diminished value attorney AND DON’T WASTE ANY TIME DOING IT. Do it now.

Several years ago I had a NJ State Trooper drive right into the front of me in a pristine, new-to-me Cayman S (2600 miles) and my not acting fast enough caused me to forfeit any claims against the state, even though they admitted 100% fault.

Trouble here is, Who are you going to sue for DV? The driver appears not to have much...and they don’t have an insurance company to pursue, which is the usual suspect.

Unfortunately, unless you have agreed value, you likely won’t recover full value to replace. Hate to sound pessimistic but it’s likely the case.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think my only options are to sue the uninsured driver and/or my insurance company. If they write the vehicle off, then obviously no lawyers required as I have gap/replacement insurance and I'll be offered MSRP+tax. If it should be written off but they insist on repairing, that is when I think I will need to involve a lawyer, as the difference in outcome to me is a delta of ~$40,000 ($90k CAD replacement value vs. $50k repaired value).

I suppose I could sue the uninsured driver for DV, while the insurance company sues them for the collision? Not sure either of us sees a penny. I would probably have to take that through small claims myself if going down that route, as they likely won't have any money to pay and I'd just be stuck with the lawyer bills.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
I think that is the least of your concerns now.

Quick question: I had the dealer throw in Xpel Ultimate on the front end of the car, I should be able to push for that being included in the repair bill right? It was $1500 CAD if I recall correctly.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
While you are waiting to see if the car is declared total loss why not do some shopping online?
I don't think you can currently order a new Turbo, just a base or an S. I just checked the Porsche website (USA) to see.

Maybe there are some new Turbo lot cars available?

You need to be prepared to argue for the settlement amount you will accept, even if you do not yet have your new Macan ready to buy.

I also dislike the new look of the tail lights.

You may end up with a MY2018 new lot car or perhaps a CPO?
I'm not 100% certain re available dates or all the changes for MY2019 & MY2020.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Not sure if insurance covers mods and PPF would likely be considered a mod.
Definitely try though. When our bumper got hit, the insurance of the at fault driver covered our PPF and ceramic.

Also, insist on a Macan loaner during any repair. This and the PPF may be enough to send the repair bill into the "total" category.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I had a car in a accident before that blew out the rear window. It had tint on it and they gave me the money needed to retint it. I just had to provide them with a quote to redo it from the tint shop.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I don't get to this forum often but this one strikes a note for me. I've had a **** of a spring/summer. This, from a guy who has never even bumped into another car and have never filed an insurance claim in my life.

In the opening days of May my car (and another) was vandalized by a random crackhead while at my job. They used a brick to attempt bashing my driver's door glass in, failed and climbed up on the hood and managed to destroy my windshield. Total check written to my dealership for new glass in the door and windshield, painting my hood and door, and vacuuming out (most of) the glass was $6900.

It gets better. Er, I mean worse. While my car was being repaired I had a rental SUV, an Infinity QX60. On May 18 I picked my girlfriend up at the airport at 1030pm and we got nearly home when some girls came flying around a corner at 45-50 and into our lane. Full head on accident destroyed both cars, blew all the airbags and twisted the frame of the Infinity. The pic I have of the other side shows my left front wheel track going up her right front fender.

The other driver had insurance but the coverage limits aren't enough to pay for the hospital bills of the occupants of her car. I just learned a few days ago that those occupants now have legal representation to get as much of that money as possible. Based on that, my girlfriend and I have just hired an attorney as well.

Likely it will be my own under-insured motorist coverage which will pay our bills.

I had to pay a $500 deductible for the rental car under my own insurance, and just last week got a bill for $37k for the damage to it. My own insurance will pay them off and the girl's insurance be on the hook for it.

Then...
Just last week I was in traffic, back in my Macan and loving life. Got rear ended in stop and go traffic. Thankfully the guy had insurance (State Farm, the same company the girl had) and I've already been to the body shop. Looks like about $1100 unless they find more, which I'm half way expecting.

Attachments

·
Registered
999 Posts
Holy Tacoma, @aftCG (!) You have been through an amazing (in a bad way) spring/summer. Those photos tell a horror story--that you're able to post 'em is amazing (in a good way). Hope your attorney is effective on your behalf
The only saving grace is that you've probably fulfilled your accident quota for the next six lifetimes.

·
Registered
399 Posts
While no airbag have deployed.
What about transmission and transfer case damage?
Parked cars don't like to be shunted.
Flat spots on the tires?
If they do fix it. Don't sign off on the paperwork until everything is detailed and back to your OCD satisfaction.
That included a good drive on the highway, for any new noises or shakes.
While discussing this with insurance provider.
Are there any warranty issues for the future? Would PNA void your drive train warranty, for the shunting in park.
Should the repair and estimate include a PDK service and transfer case service.
Should your keep that oil as a control sample for future issues?

It's just a car and it's just stuff. No one was hurt, everyone is still healthy. This too will pass.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
I don't get to this forum often but this one strikes a note for me. I've had a **** of a spring/summer. ...
Good that you were not injured.

I hope this is the last of car crashes & vandalism for you!

41 - 60 of 73 Posts