Porsche Macan Forum banner

21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Painful to look at those pictures...
Do get an attorney that specializes in diminished value as others have suggested, I've had a friend who didn't and the insurance wouldn't total his (shortly sold after) 370Z which had incredible amount of work that needed to be done.
Yeah if they don't consider this car totalled I will likely have to go the legal route... If I saw a car that was damaged this badly I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole. I think that's my nightmare scenario right now... we'll have to see how it goes with insurance.

One upside is that the insurance company is Canadian, and I've been in living in SF for the past 5 months. Porsches are more expensive in the US to start with... nevermind labor, parts, rentals, etc. I'm hoping they just take the sensible route and write it off!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Only comprehensive coverage and not collision? If you only have comp coverage with uninsured, sorry dude, you might be hurting. Uninsured coverage is only up to $3500. You will need to claim through your own insurance company through collision coverage to have car fix/replaced

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
Ugh, so sorry OP. That really bites. I'm just glad that you & the spousal unit weren't in the car or hurt in any way. I've got no advice to add, but wanted to share my condolences on your Macan's untimely passing.

This whole uninsured driving thing drives me crazy. I know someone who let her insurance lapse & let her teenage son drive the car. The roads were wet, he was driving too fast, & he wiped out & totaled the car. He wasn't hurt, fortunately. She couldn't afford to get it fixed, so she stopped making payments on it. The bank only found out that it had been totaled when they went to repossess the car. I still get mad when I remember how nonchalant she was about the whole thing.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Ugh, so sorry OP. That really bites. I'm just glad that you & the spousal unit weren't in the car or hurt in any way. I've got no advice to add, but wanted to share my condolences on your Macan's untimely passing.

This whole uninsured driving thing drives me crazy. I know someone who let her insurance lapse & let her teenage son drive the car. The roads were wet, he was driving too fast, & he wiped out & totaled the car. He wasn't hurt, fortunately. She couldn't afford to get it fixed, so she stopped making payments on it. The bank only found out that it had been totaled when they went to repossess the car. I still get mad when I remember how nonchalant she was about the whole thing.

W.O.W.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
211 Posts
Adding my condolences, that just hurts to looks at. Glad that you're OK.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Glad to hear no one was hurt. hopefully the driver knocked some sense into them. no insurance for them is going to make their life difficult as your insurance company will most likely sue them. As for the Macan I would assume its a total with damage on both front and back. The sad thing is that Macan is not replaceable as your can not get a 2019 GTS. your photos want me to go give my GTS a hug as I love mine to death.
please keep up posted on the updated and I hope you get a great rental in the meantime.
It s going be hard to put a fair replacement value on the car, maybe the insurance company will over estimate the value and you ll be fine. I have seen friends get way over what the car was worth. It s a guess now because it s a GTS.
Just hold out if you don t like their offer.
BTW, every state is different so don t get too upset with something you read online.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Chubb "agreed value insurance"

It s going be hard to put a fair replacement value on the car, maybe the insurance company will over estimate the value and you ll be fine. I have seen friends get way over what the car was worth. It s a guess now because it s a GTS.
Just hold out if you don t like their offer.
BTW, every state is different so don t get too upset with something you read online.
I've been researching auto insurance for our new Macan-S, which is to arrive next month. I've discovered the Chubb offers "agreed value insurance" which is the purchase price of the car, and guarantees replacement at that price for the life of the policy. Chubb is normally significantly higher for auto insurance than a lot of other companies. But since we already have our home and umbrella with Chubb, getting auto insurance with them will lower the premiums for the homeowners and umbrella policies, to the point that we will be paying no more in insurance premiums than we would if we went with a less comprehensive auto policy.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Really sorry about what happened to your Macan. You are probably looking at $25k to $30k of repairs which is a lot less than the value of the car. I doubt the insurance will write it off unless the body shop comes with a much higher estimate. Diminished value would be something else which you would have to deal with.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Really unfortunate for all parties concerned (not having insurance, I realize, is a choice), but, jeeze, I would NOT want to be in their situation.
. . .You are probably looking at $25k to $30k of repairs which is a lot less than the value of the car. . .
You may well be accurate, but I wonder how arrived at that estimate: Are you a body shop owner or an insurance adjuster?
Simply curious how you arrived at the $25k-$35k figure.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Really unfortunate for all parties concerned (not having insurance, I realize, is a choice), but, jeeze, I would NOT want to be in their situation.

You may well be accurate, but I wonder how arrived at that estimate: Are you a body shop owner or an insurance adjuster?
Simply curious how you arrived at the $25k-$35k figure.
Neither but I had a 2000 X5 V8 which was in a bad accident with similar level of damage to the front right of the car and the repair estimate came to that range I mentioned. But my car was already 6 years old with high mileage. Insurance totaled it and gave me a check for $24k.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Sorry to see this, did this happen in San Francisco by any chance? It boggles my mind that people drive around uninsured. If they can't afford insurance, they should have bought an older, cheaper car too. But I guess for their sake it was probably a good thing they were in a modern car.

Good luck with it all, and as many have said look on the bright side you and the Mrs. weren't hurt!

·
Registered
568 Posts
Be glad you don't live in New Orleans. You would be facing a lawsuit from the uninsured drivers attorney for medical injuries he sustained from rear ending you.
Is this some kind of April fools joke ? How on earth is that possible ?

I just looked it up, 1.35 million lawyers in the USA ! Ouch :(

In Australia you have to have at least 3rd party (non comprehensive) insurance to operate a car/motorbike to cover any vehicle damage you cause to another party. Separate universal medical insurance is also built into registration each year to cover anyone injured on the road for 100% of their medical bills.

·
Registered
726 Posts
wow ,that is horrible . I truly hope your insurance company totals it.
though with the other guy not insured your company may give you a hard time
best of luck keep us posted

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
Very sad...hope things work out for you.

:(

·
Registered
113 Posts
Sorry to see this. I know how you feel.

In 2009, I was the victim of a pile up in my new (at the time) 2008 MB E63 AMG. I was stopped behind a person, turning left on a 2-lane road. A 3-hour old, brand new RAV4 was behind me. Then this big truck came barreling up behind the RAV4, crushing them, going over the speed limit, which in-turn slammed into the back of me. I did not hit the person in front of me, as they turned just in time.

I had a bit of whiplash as did the person in the RAV4. The truck driver was not hurt. The first thing I did was retain an attorney, which I'm glad I did.

So I was seeking diminished value on top of the 1st class repairs I insisted on. After my car was not able to be totaled even though there was frame damage, the repairs had to amount to over 75% of the value of the car at the time. And there was frame damage. So my car was in 'surgery and rehab' for over 8 weeks. The insurance companies haggled with each other, and the initial diminished value payout was not what I felt was fair, as 'frame damage' would now show up on Carfax.

The owner of the RAV4 got a brand new car, and they were made whole. I felt that I wasn't made whole. So my attorney then started throwing lawsuits out. To the offending truck driver; to the person in front of me who was turning left, on a double yellow line; to the driver of the RAV4 who was too close to me; and to the city of where this all happened (just because).

Things got moving towards resolution quickly after that, and we finally received a good settlement (which my attorney kept 1/3 of course). Although the car felt flawless after the accident, I knew that it was no longer perfect for being an AMG. So when it came time to sell it 9 years later, of course the frame damage came up, thus receiving less than what I asked for. But that ultimate diminished value amount, that I pocketed years earlier made things a lot better.

So my advice is yes, get an attorney.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Sorry to see this. I know how you feel.

In 2009, I was the victim of a pile up in my new (at the time) 2008 MB E63 AMG. I was stopped behind a person, turning left on a 2-lane road. A 3-hour old, brand new RAV4 was behind me. Then this big truck came barreling up behind the RAV4, crushing them, going over the speed limit, which in-turn slammed into the back of me. I did not hit the person in front of me, as they turned just in time.

I had a bit of whiplash as did the person in the RAV4. The truck driver was not hurt. The first thing I did was retain an attorney, which I'm glad I did.

So I was seeking diminished value on top of the 1st class repairs I insisted on. After my car was not able to be totaled even though there was frame damage, the repairs had to amount to over 75% of the value of the car at the time. And there was frame damage. So my car was in 'surgery and rehab' for over 8 weeks. The insurance companies haggled with each other, and the initial diminished value payout was not what I felt was fair, as 'frame damage' would now show up on Carfax.

The owner of the RAV4 got a brand new car, and they were made whole. I felt that I wasn't made whole. So my attorney then started throwing lawsuits out. To the offending truck driver; to the person in front of me who was turning left, on a double yellow line; to the driver of the RAV4 who was too close to me; and to the city of where this all happened (just because).

Things got moving towards resolution quickly after that, and we finally received a good settlement (which my attorney kept 1/3 of course). Although the car felt flawless after the accident, I knew that it was no longer perfect for being an AMG. So when it came time to sell it 9 years later, of course the frame damage came up, thus receiving less than what I asked for. But that ultimate diminished value amount, that I pocketed years earlier made things a lot better.

So my advice is yes, get an attorney.
Thanks for sharing your story, you capture exactly the frustration and uncertainty running through my mind right now. The difference in outcome between 'repair' and 'written off' is certainly material, I'd say easily 1/3 of the vehicle value, which is why I know there will be a fight with the insurance company coming up as this is likely marginal in either direction.

I've paid attorney fees before to get to a 'just' outcome, not a financially better one. I hope I don't have to go down that route with my insurance company. I don't think there will be any point in suing the uninsured family that hit me as they certainly won't have the means to pay, and I'm sure my insurance company will be champing at the bit to get to them.

You from Calgary? I got a good lawyer here specialized in this stuff
I'll send you a PM, thanks!

21 - 40 of 73 Posts
About this Discussion
72 Replies
46 Participants
Biohazard
Porsche Macan Forum
Thank you for your interest in MacanForum.com. We’re a forum community dedicated to Porsche Macan SUV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, specs, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing