Porsche Macan Forum banner

61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I ordered Connect w/o Nav. I am not able to get the VC button on the Stalk to call up Siri. The user's manual says a long press will do it. The only thing that happens is that CarPlay exits to the PCM and nothing else. Long press, short press seem to do the same nothing. Anyone else experiencing this?

I am very happy with CarPlay, no crashes yet, rent a GM w CarPlay and it crashed occasionally... Apple has announced that CarPlay from iOS 9 will support turn-by-turn in the right-side small display, hopefully it will work with our cars.

The old version of CarPlay only displayed the first 10 artists or so on the GM, but I am able to scroll through all my artists, has a nice alpha range scroll capability now.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I ordered Connect w/o Nav. I am not able to get the VC button on the Stalk to call up Siri. The user's manual says a long press will do it. The only thing that happens is that CarPlay exits to the PCM and nothing else. Long press, short press seem to do the same nothing. Anyone else experiencing this?

I am very happy with CarPlay, no crashes yet, rent a GM w CarPlay and it crashed occasionally... Apple has announced that CarPlay from iOS 9 will support turn-by-turn in the right-side small display, hopefully it will work with our cars.

The old version of CarPlay only displayed the first 10 artists or so on the GM, but I am able to scroll through all my artists, has a nice alpha range scroll capability now.
I have the identical question and look forward to hearing the response. The stalk button does have the "voice" icon on it, suggesting that it does something, but it certainly doesn't activate Siri when I try it. The screen blinks briefly as thought it's trying to do something but nothing happens.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I've not read the whole thread so apologize if mentioned, but I did find I had to turn Siri on in Settings on my iPhone. Hope that helps somebody.

I have the identical question and look forward to hearing the response. The stalk button does have the "voice" icon on it, suggesting that it does something, but it certainly doesn't activate Siri when I try it. The screen blinks briefly as thought it's trying to do something but nothing happens.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I've not read the whole thread so apologize if mentioned, but I did find I had to turn Siri on in Settings on my iPhone. Hope that helps somebody.

Can you elaborate? You have Connect only (NOT Connect+) and by changing a setting on your iPhone you were able to activate Siri by pressing the Voice Control stalk to the left of the steering wheel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
78 Posts
We have a 2017 Macan S with the Prestige package but without Connect even ( hey, it was a good deal off the lot, and the family geek was not involved in the decision making).

We get the button on the stalk but of course no little voice icon on the button and no Apple CarPlay. I have to imagine the 'Connect' option of Apple CarPlay/Siri might possibly be activated without hardware modifications. Of course Porsche would screw us over for doing that but does anyone know if it is feasible?

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
You have a dummy button cover, not a button....and porsche has said there will be no upgrades to whatever pcm you have in your car.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Quick update. Took the car in on Friday 6/24 for the software update. The service guys tried and realized there was no software update available. They put in a ticket to Porsche tech and was then told an update will be available sometime in Q3 of this year. So the wait is on until software update is released. At least Porsche acknowledges it needs to be updated and are working on it.

To clarify. I have a 2017 with Connect (carplay) and no nav. I do have the voice activated button on my turn signal stalk.
Thanks for the update. Good to know they're working on a fix.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Sorry took so long to reply. I do have Connect+. The setting on my phone is Settings > General > Siri and I turned Siri on.

To access Siri is one long push on the button ... assuming phone plugged in and in CarPlay mode. A normal, short click gives me the regular PCM voice control prompt.

Hope that helps.

Can you elaborate? You have Connect only (NOT Connect+) and by changing a setting on your iPhone you were able to activate Siri by pressing the Voice Control stalk to the left of the steering wheel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
211 Posts
Sorry took so long to reply. I do have Connect+. The setting on my phone is Settings > General > Siri and I turned Siri on.

To access Siri is one long push on the button ... assuming phone plugged in and in CarPlay mode. A normal, short click gives me the regular PCM voice control prompt.

Hope that helps.
Thanks for clarifying and probably helpful for some. Unfortunately, though, your feedback isn't relevant to this particular thread as this is all about Connect only (NOT Connect+) users not having access to Siri via the Voice Control button.

·
Registered
287 Posts
That is why my original contribution was only regarding turning Siri on on the iPhone ... the elaboration was at your request.

Thanks for clarifying and probably helpful for some. Unfortunately, though, your feedback isn't relevant to this particular thread as this is all about Connect only (NOT Connect+) users not having access to Siri via the Voice Control button.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I just got my 2017 Macan S, built late-Oct, delivered late-Nov, with CarPlay and no Nav. For me, pressing the voice button did nothing (except a pop-up on the big PCM which says "voice control not available"). Tried in CarPlay mode, bluetooth mode, iPhone-not-connected mode -- no joy. Tried single click & double-click. Some suggested that there's a "dealer option" that must be selected during ordering (no cost) that enables it, and I thought I was out of luck because I did not select it...

HOWEVER, after reading here, I tried the "long-click" (press and hold) on the stalk button, and it works for Siri activation! This ONLY works in CarPlay mode (does not work in Bluetooth mode).

I don't see any settings after going through ALL menu options on the PCM big-screen and the PCM small-screen displays. It works as long as my iPhone is connected via hard-wired CarPlay.

Note: I can use "Hey Siri" (then command) whether bluetooth or CarPlay, as long as "Hey Siri" is set on my phone. So, you can get the same effect without the voice button on the turn-signal stalk... "Hey Siri" activates Siri using the car microphone and speakers; verified, because my phone was stashed in the enclosed-console area when tested via both bluetooth and CarPlay.

Although "Hey Siri" is a workaround for those with an inop voice button, I do suffer from "the OCD", and I can understand if it bothers folks that the button doesn't work, and I'd like to see a fix for all that have the issue!

·
Registered
48 Posts
@FJG - I'm glad your late 2017 build works properly.

It sounds like my early 2017 build with Connect only has a dummy voice control switch that does not activate Siri. Instead it kicks you out of CarPlay and brings you back to the home menu.

@mstnggt66, @lights, @tomv, @keloutwest - did you ever get this fixed from your dealer? I've had no luck.

Thanks!

61 - 72 of 72 Posts